Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Live vs Hptuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Live vs Hptuners

Its now 2017. From looking at old threads it seems that the debate was that EFI Live and Hptuners had a few different tables that one or the other had that the other didnt have. (for example, aparently EFI Live didnt have transient fueling tables at one point and HPT did).

Are there still differences like that between the two? I am planning on tuning mostly Gen IV engines. EFI Live has a superior hardware interface and a better scanning tool, and better software it seems like on the surface.

Are there anything that folks have come across that they have found one can do but not the other?
Old 01-09-2017, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check supported vehicles list from both sides.
Download the demo software and open tune files from car you will tune. This will tell you which one is better for you
Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use both. Both are good tools and both have there advantages. If you are going to do more than gm then HPT is the way to go. I still prefer EFI Live on diesels. So on gen 4 gm you can't go wrong with either
Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
Check supported vehicles list from both sides.
Download the demo software and open tune files from car you will tune. This will tell you which one is better for you
It seems that they both support *roughly* the same GM LS powered vehicles. HPT does a few more of the 4 and 6 cylinder GM cars. HPT also supports Ford and Merc vehicles. I cant say for sure, but I should never be owing one of those, so unless I own one I wont need to tune it.

I did compare them side by side quickly, and the only thing that I could find that HPT had that EFI didnt was a few misc settings for flex fuel. Like the default alcohol comp and sensor types, but it could have been that EFI didnt support those tables on my application (E40 in 05 GTO)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I have EFILive. Custom operating systems do not cost credits with EFI. They do with HPT. EFI has serial input for widebands with that capability. Last I checked HPT did not. It seems like the HPT forum is more active than EFILive as for GM LS formats and PCMs, but EFILive is very active regarding Diesel tuning. I think I bought my V2 10 years ago. If I were buying today, I would be tempted to buy HPT Pro. With either product you are likely to experience great frustration during the learning process. It can be confusing and there is much conflicting advice for how it should all be done.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kenp
Well, I have EFILive. Custom operating systems do not cost credits with EFI. They do with HPT.
EFI has serial input for widebands with that capability. Last I checked HPT did not.
Custom OS are free with HPT, they have been since quite some time.
HPT also supports serial wideband, as a matter of fact I was the one who requested that feature and I was bugging them until they decided to add it.
I think they were reluctant to add it because they would lose sales of the PRO version.

It doesn't work for all wideband controllers but it does for the most popular. If you have a wideband that isn't supprted you can request it to be added.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
Custom OS are free with HPT, they have been since quite some time.
HPT also supports serial wideband, as a matter of fact I was the one who requested that feature and I was bugging them until they decided to add it.
I think they were reluctant to add it because they would lose sales of the PRO version.

It doesn't work for all wideband controllers but it does for the most popular. If you have a wideband that isn't supprted you can request it to be added.
According to the HPT website as of 5 min ago it costs 2 credits for ECM enhancements.

I have used both they both get the job done.

I was recently told by HPT support that you will brick your PCM if you try and full flash a Tune from the repositories I haven't tried it yet but I had done it with EFI live no problem so that may be a factor if you need that.

Maybe someone else can confirm if they have done it and HPT is just saying that to try and keep people from doing it.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Launching!

I'm if your swapping different engines between different platforms or need to swap to a different OS then efi live is the way to go. Also Efi live gives us access to pretty much all the tables with the CAX files, if u know how to use them. HP tuners is the way to go if your just gonna tune 1 or 2 car and nit swap different engines and OS's. You can put any Vin u want basically in efi live. Hp tuners licence the VCM ID to the Vin# so basically your stuck with that operating system.

Hp tuners allows you to change the tables that they say you can. EFI live gives you access to all. Both have pros and cons but iMO efi live takes it.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by 98redorangeta
According to the HPT website as of 5 min ago it costs 2 credits for ECM enhancements.

I have used both they both get the job done.

I was recently told by HPT support that you will brick your PCM if you try and full flash a Tune from the repositories I haven't tried it yet but I had done it with EFI live no problem so that may be a factor if you need that.

Maybe someone else can confirm if they have done it and HPT is just saying that to try and keep people from doing it.
HPTuners you pay the two credits to license the PCM in the car. Once you do that, if you do a custom OS, it does NOT cost you extra 2-credits. The capability to install the custom OS is included in the two credits you initially licensed the car with. i've done it. In fact, i've done it, gone back to the original tune, and then done a different custom OS - without paying more than the initial two credits to license the vehicle.

You will not automatically brick your PCM if you write a tune from the repository - unless it is not compatible with your PCM. I wrote a 2002 OS to my 99 PCM. It went fine. I did have to pay 2 credits to license the 2002 tune. There is a chance of bricking anytime you do a full write. but it's not very likely. Now, had I written a 2007 Z06 OS, it would have bricked. It's a matter of knowing what is compatible before you write. To be fair, though, if someone starts asking me a bunch of questions I consider basic, and then they add to it, "can I just download and write..." my response might also be "don't, you'll brick it" because I'm concerned about the end user's experience level and I don't want to be held liable.

The only thing you can't do in HPT is change the VIN to a VIN of a different year than the OS you are installing.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

^yep.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
HPTuners you pay the two credits to license the PCM in the car. Once you do that, if you do a custom OS, it does NOT cost you extra 2-credits. The capability to install the custom OS is included in the two credits you initially licensed the car with. i've done it. In fact, i've done it, gone back to the original tune, and then done a different custom OS - without paying more than the initial two credits to license the vehicle.

You will not automatically brick your PCM if you write a tune from the repository - unless it is not compatible with your PCM. I wrote a 2002 OS to my 99 PCM. It went fine. I did have to pay 2 credits to license the 2002 tune. There is a chance of bricking anytime you do a full write. but it's not very likely. Now, had I written a 2007 Z06 OS, it would have bricked. It's a matter of knowing what is compatible before you write. To be fair, though, if someone starts asking me a bunch of questions I consider basic, and then they add to it, "can I just download and write..." my response might also be "don't, you'll brick it" because I'm concerned about the end user's experience level and I don't want to be held liable.

The only thing you can't do in HPT is change the VIN to a VIN of a different year than the OS you are installing.
Glad they changed the custom OS even if they didn't change the site.

Also good news about the write I thought that might be the case. I was trying to save buying a credit flashing a stock tune in an fbody PCM and working from that instead of licensing the vette pcm that was in the car so I can see why he might have said that.

Edit: I have unlimited fbody and not vette that's why trying to do this would save me credits it wouldn't with just normally.

Last edited by 98redorangeta; 01-20-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the same boat trying to decide which to go with.

I have an 06 2500 with the Duramax/Allison. I intend to to minor tuning to this which might include disabling the EGR since they are problematic.

Also have an 02 Z28 which was tuned years ago by a friend with HPTuners. I have the stock tune on my hard drive in HPT format. If I wanted to load it back into the ECM, would I need HPT or can EFIlive do it? Can I modify the current HPTuners tune my friend did with EFIlive?

I also have an 07 Grand Prix GXP (LS4) that I intend to do minor tuning with as well as an old Jeep I am planning on swapping an LS into.

I am sure there will be other random cars my friends have that I might do minor tweaks too.

I am trying to decide which will be best for me. All the diesel guys say EFIlive and all the LS guys tell me HPTuners. From my research I recall several differences that caught my attention.

HPTuners will not allow me to disable or turn off codes related to the EGR on my truck.

EFIlive no longer supports the ECM in my Z28 and the most likely ECM I would use in an LS swap for my Jeep.

EFIlive supposedly has more tables and more tunability because of these additonal tables.

I also recall reading that EFI is easier to adjust entire tables through some tools they offer. I am probably doing a terrible job explaining that since I have not used either and don't fully understand the difference.

Has anyone had any experience with these issues? Are they valid differences currently?
Old 01-24-2017, 04:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
I am in the same boat trying to decide which to go with.

I have an 06 2500 with the Duramax/Allison. I intend to to minor tuning to this which might include disabling the EGR since they are problematic.

Hpt cant delete EGR

Also have an 02 Z28 which was tuned years ago by a friend with HPTuners. I have the stock tune on my hard drive in HPT format. If I wanted to load it back into the ECM, would I need HPT or can EFIlive do it? Can I modify the current HPTuners tune my friend did with EFIlive?

You could read the tune out in EFI Live and edit the current tune. You cant open a hpt file in efi or a efi file in hpt unless you read the file from the pcm with that software

I also have an 07 Grand Prix GXP (LS4) that I intend to do minor tuning with as well as an old Jeep I am planning on swapping an LS into.

Havent tuned one so cant help on that, its only supported by hpt I beleive

I am sure there will be other random cars my friends have that I might do minor tweaks too.

I am trying to decide which will be best for me. All the diesel guys say EFIlive and all the LS guys tell me HPTuners. From my research I recall several differences that caught my attention.

HPTuners will not allow me to disable or turn off codes related to the EGR on my truck.

correct

EFIlive no longer supports the ECM in my Z28 and the most likely ECM I would use in an LS swap for my Jeep.

Efi is just not adding new tables to the pcm, its still supported and can be tuned with efi.

EFIlive supposedly has more tables and more tunability because of these additonal tables.

Its a wash, IMO. Both efi and hpt have pro's and con's for each, on a ls1 pcm neither software is going to hold you back from tuning anything.

I also recall reading that EFI is easier to adjust entire tables through some tools they offer. I am probably doing a terrible job explaining that since I have not used either and don't fully understand the difference.

Neither is easier than the other, they are layed out differently so its personal preference on which layout you like better for the most part.

Has anyone had any experience with these issues? Are they valid differences currently?
We use and sell both every day, they both very good tools for tuning and you cant go wrong with either option. Feel free to call us if you have any questions on either one.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 98redorangeta
Nope. It doesnt cost credits for custom OS's. I just did one about a month ago. E38 to 2-bar on a 2008 or 2009 G8 GT.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jaydubb
Nope. It doesnt cost credits for custom OS's. I just did one about a month ago. E38 to 2-bar on a 2008 or 2009 G8 GT.
still confused as crap and cant find answer..stillin same boat
04" gm truck I have 2 pcms ( spare for swapping) can HP tuners read my EFI live( unlocked) tunes and can i caonvert them to HPT to relaod after I make soem mods.

second since I have two pcm's ( opem) do i have to buy Exrra credits to load the tune into the secodn PCM.( I keep it as a spare in case one bricks or craps out)

or am i goign ot have to take one ot dealr to reload the facotry tune and star tover.. if so EFI live might be better choice cost wise.

either will meet my simpleton needs it all come down to cost.

Quick Reply: EFI Live vs Hptuners