PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen IV block, what knock sensors to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Gen IV block, what knock sensors to use?

I have a 2007 5.3 that had AFM. I deleted AFM, installed a 24x reluctor wheel, etc.
My wiring harness is out of a 2005 tahoe that had a Gen 3. My PCM is a '02 s10 411 with a 2002 silverado tune file on it.

Does it matter what knock sensors to use? And does anything need to be changed in the tune?

My wiring harness has wiring for the knock sensors under the intake, the block has sensors mounted on each side. I was thinking of drilling/tapping those holes and installing the sensors there as I've seen others do.

Whats the most correct way to do this?
Old 01-27-2017, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 476 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
I have a 2007 5.3 that had AFM. I deleted AFM, installed a 24x reluctor wheel, etc.
My wiring harness is out of a 2005 tahoe that had a Gen 3. My PCM is a '02 s10 411 with a 2002 silverado tune file on it.

Does it matter what knock sensors to use? And does anything need to be changed in the tune?

My wiring harness has wiring for the knock sensors under the intake, the block has sensors mounted on each side. I was thinking of drilling/tapping those holes and installing the sensors there as I've seen others do.

Whats the most correct way to do this?
I have read tons of info on this subject, and almost every other sentence conflicts the last one. I love having working knock sensors, but because they are so fragile, I rely more on my hearing and plug readings. I'm just bumping this thread because I am curious if someone has a useful response.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're going to have to use the the LS1 style knock sensors with that pcm. I fairly certain the 411 pcm cant be used with the later ls2-up knock sensors. You can use the mounting location for the new style sensors, but you'll have to drill and tap the holes for the larger ls1 style sensors & extend the harness to reach the sensors. I did this on an 24x LS2 block using an LS1 ecm. That 05 tahoe harness should have green/blue plugs, (drive by wire) while the 02 silverado ecm should have been blue/red (drive by cable). Is you cam sensor on the front timing cover? If so, you have quite a few mismatches there. You may want to contact a company that specializes in swaps harnesses. I can refer you to the one I use, just PM me. You can create quite a few headaches the more mix and match parts.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I didn't mention everything I did since the question is about knock sensors.

I deleted the afm which included changing the cam, lifters, lifter trays, valley cover, cam gear to 1x, DBW is changed to DBC which I added the TPS and IAC plugs all the way to the pcm, throttle body, changed to 24x with it's matching sensor, cam position sensor is in the timing cover and the wires are extended to it.

Thats a lot of typing that has nothing to do with the question.

I recently changed the knock sensors in my Z28 due to corrosion. And yes I'm aware of the TSB about sealing those up so water doesn't get to them. This is the main reason I ask, I've seen many people mount the LS1 style knock sensors to the side of the block, they don't seem very waterproof. But then again my '92 dually has the a similar sensor mounted in the block drain as factory, and IIRC my old 93 corvette had similar sensors mounted on each side of the block in the drain plugs.

So I guess I'll mount them on the side of the block or delete them. I'm not paying someone $800 for a harness. This is a little project that I'm doing, it's not a necessity (this project).

Never thought about the same style sensors being mounted to the outside of the block on an LT1, I guess thats what I'll do.

Nevermind

Originally Posted by SS69LS1
That 05 tahoe harness should have green/blue plugs, (drive by wire) while the 02 silverado ecm should have been blue/red (drive by cable). Is you cam sensor on the front timing cover? If so, you have quite a few mismatches there..

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 01-28-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added (this project).

Quick Reply: Gen IV block, what knock sensors to use?