PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

4.8/5 speed HPT bin file or tips on tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017 | 04:27 PM
Teching In

Default 4.8/5 speed HPT bin file or tips on tune?

Hey guys,

did a bit of searching but no luck. i have chev c10 truck with a 2001 4.8 vortec/4l60E that i just converted to a 5 speed. the truck will not start after the swap was completed.

should it start without touching HPT? or do i have somthing not plugged in under the dash?

i swapped out my steering column with a tilt steering column while i had it apart to put in the clutch pedals and stuff, just wondering if it may be something else electrical i may i have missed.

if it does have to be tuned, does anyone have a bin file for a factory 2wd 4.8/5 speed or know what the differences are between the auto and manual tune from the factory? i played around with mine a bit the other night so i know the obd2 port is working and the fuel pump will prime but engine wont crank over.
Old 05-23-2017 | 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Just off the top of my head, the neutral/park safety for the auto trans won't get a signal if you still have the auto tune with a 5 speed, and if you have converted to a manual tune, the clutch safety will need a signal. Once you verify that situation is sorted, if it doesn't crank we move on to further troubleshooting.
Old 05-24-2017 | 03:49 PM
Teching In

Well its still an auto tune, i found a manual tune for a stock 2004 silverado 4.8 but I don't wanna copy/paste that one just yet because of the differences in injectors and stuff throughout the years. Hoping to find one for a 2001!

anyway to bypass the automatic park/neutral signal just to see if that was the problem?
Old 05-24-2017 | 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by cirose
Well its still an auto tune, i found a manual tune for a stock 2004 silverado 4.8 but I don't wanna copy/paste that one just yet because of the differences in injectors and stuff throughout the years. Hoping to find one for a 2001!

anyway to bypass the automatic park/neutral signal just to see if that was the problem?
Under system>general>PRNDL equipped, change the setting to "none". I honestly don't know if this is the only change needed, but it is one of the glaring differences between auto and manual tune files.
Old 05-24-2017 | 08:17 PM
Teching In

Well I can't comment on the changes i made in hp tuners making any difference, but i went back out and cleaned up the wires on the starter and it fired right up! Haha embarrassing.

i set any codes related to transmission to off and set trans to manual, prndl to none if anyone else is having any trouble try those.

Quick Reply: 4.8/5 speed HPT bin file or tips on tune?