Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saftley detune a little power

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Saftley detune a little power

Searched around here and didn't really find exactly what I was looking for.
Quick backstory, Im making 430rwhp/420ft.lbs and car runs strong, however when I auto-x the car has become a handful to the point I want to detune it some for events. This isn't a matter of just getting better tires either as many of the evens are on poorly paved old parking lots, so its not like a prepped track. And even if that was the case Id still like to detune it, as it was perfectly balanced and easy to drive with ~350rwhp. This is also not as easy as just using less throttle as its a balancing act while cornering as anyone who has auto-xed or road raced can tell you.
Ive got hptuners on the way, I mainly bought it to be able to tune the car in general as I feel like I can get it to drive better on the street, but also it would be nice to be able to load a tune in for auto-x and then load the other tune back to full power.
So the main question is can I safely detune the car a little without hurting the engine running it hard during auto-x? I don't want a valet style tune with a low revlimiter and poor drive ability. Im looking for same driveability and response with just less power across the board (like maybe 30-40 less RWHP).
So low octane table, and pull some timing will take the power down I know, but how much? Will it make the engine feel like a turd, or will it still run strong just knock down power? Just don't want to have some side effect making it run rich or something and washing out the cylinder walls, or making it run lean and blowing it up.
Also what about torque management on an M6 car, does that even do anything? I know it greatly effect the A4 cars, but I don't see how much it does to the M6 cars.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fabricate an adjustable throttle stop. I know someone using one to slow down a LS1 swapped S10 that runs 11.30's to run in a 12.0 index class. He usually runs between 75-80% WOT TPS and uses his HP Tuners scanner to precisely set it if he needs to run a little but slower or faster. He first tried pulling timing at WOT but it wouldn't slow it down enough. You have to change the timing table a little because the cells used at 75% TPS won't be the same as 100% TPS.

Quick Reply: Saftley detune a little power