Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible water in my gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Possible water in my gas

I got gas last Monday afternoon I got gas form a big gas station chain then went home. I had to some **** to do on Tuesday afternoon. In Ga, we had bad-*** rain storms. About 5 miles or so down the road the car started throwing codes and running like ****. It would pop and buck and just didn't have any power. It had a

P0174 Bank 2 lean condition," An "under reporting" Mass Air Flow Sensor can be a common cause of a code P0174. Essentially, this means that the Air Flow Sensor is telling the computer that much less air is entering the engine than actually is." and

P0300, Code P0300 is a code that is generated when your engine has a misfire that is not related to only one cylinder.

Anyway seeing that my truck need some work I keep driving the car. As I drove it, it got better and started to act right. So after driving it, I burned a tank of gas in 123 miles. So I'm thinking it's bad gas. I didn't take a fuel sample to confirm. I thought I might have got the air filter wet, no it's dry and clean. No vacuum leaks. I haven't pulled the plugs but.....

What does everyone do in the event they got water in their gas?? I've never had this happen so. I know there's a long line of **** to check but I start with the simple **** first.

Please no ******** responses
Old 06-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Siphon it out of the bottom.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few things you can do, but the easiest and quickest would be to just keep driving it to burn off the **** gas, then keep topping off with new, good gas to dilute.

Water isn't going to hurt anything in smaller amounts. Even in larger amounts, you car just...wont run. You can't burn water for energy. Either there are enough gasoline molecules in the injector spray to ignite and push the piston down, or it's too much water, and it can't ignite. That's pretty much it.
There are more complicated answers I could give you about 'possible engine damage due to ping or blah blah' but **** happens.

I had similar issues on my GTO. 90% of the issue was my tank rusted out, pretty much taking my entire fuel system with it. But there was a time I tried to wash it out and spent a few hours trying to ensure there wasn't any water in it when I put it back in. I guess I messed up because it ran like **** immediately, and stayed that way for like 80 miles.

But things you can do:
Dilute bad gas by adding new gas. either by driving and filling, or siphoning and filling
Remove gas and refill
Add an alcohol to absorb the water molecules
You could try to be tricky and have the fuel pump do the work for you. Like give the fuel pump max power, then disconnect the fuel hose in the engine bay and put it in a bucket type of thing.

Thats about it
Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Water In Fuel

Hi 2Tow, I would add E-85 to your fuel tank when low.
Five gallons at max.
This will absorb the water.
Then fill with pump gas ASAP

WHEN the full fill is made, CHANGE the filters in SHORT time.

Water Vapor is present in a fuel tank, in CA we have E-10 in our pump fuel.
The E-10 is also present in W-CUP fuel.

The chance for an "E" content in GA exists, check some of the "off" brands.

Lance
Old 06-26-2017, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks, guys, I give it a try
Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Unless his car is flex fuel capable running 5 gallons of e85 is a terrible suggestion.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

When mixed with the rest of the gas still in the tank, its effect will be minimal, especially if the REST OF THE DIRECTONS are followed. The sole purpose of the E85 is to absorb any water in the gas. You will notice the next directive is to fill up with pump gas ASAP (heavy on the ASAP!) The amount of time running E85 will be minimal. Lance knows of which he speaks.

Quick Reply: Possible water in my gas