Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 tuning options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 tuning options?

I just bought my first LS1 engine. I got an entire drivetrain out of a 1998 camaro, w/t56, to put into a BMW wagon I just bought.

So, basically, I'm planning to do an LSx swap into a different vehicle chassis. Every time I get a new car, I begin learning about that car, it's production, how it works, etc. Now my learning process starts for the GM LS engines.

I'm looking around, and it's so hard to find modern information. Every time I google a question, I get old threads from like 2007. All the pictures have since been deleted off photobucket, links are always broken, and it's basically a worthless thread. Time after time. Forums are clogged with old, useless junk threads.

One of the biggest areas I keep finding tons of antiquated software is in the tuning category. I'm hoping there are modern 2017 options for tuning, rather than still using some Windows XP derived tuning program that looks like an Excel sheet from 1999. Is there anything open source? Or even something for a reasonable price? All the tuning software for a computer is $500+ and it's old stuff that's limped along from 2002. I don't really understand the handhelds. When I go to HPTuners.com, for example, they sell their computer software for tuning for $500, but they also sell the 'VCM scanner' to "view, chart, and log data in real time!" but....it offers the exact same features that I get on my phone when I bought an $11 ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 connector for my phone. I'm kinda confused.

Am I missing something here? It's 2017. I should just be able to buy a cord or bluetooth connector for OBD2-to-USB, and plug into my computer and get some software for like $50 to tinker around with values.

I guess maybe someone can outline my options? I've looked at the "Tuning FAQs" thread sticked at the top of this forum, and it's kind of lackluster. It just lists "HPtuners," "EFILive," and a couple handheld tuners.
I can't find a 'basics of tuning' sort of thing. I understand I need a computer with software, and a way to connect the two, but what is this nonsense about needed a little interface box in-between the car and computer?
Old 06-27-2017, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your options in 2017 for tuning GM OEM PCMs are HP Tuners or EFI Live. Prices start at $500 and go up depending on what you buy. There isn't a hand held made that will do what you need to do for a swap. I guess you could always design your own tuning cable and write the software and sell them for $50. You would probably have a lot of business. I guess the people who already did that figured their time and effort is worth more.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You didn't do your research before posting. Anything you ever want to know about your questions and the LS engine are WELL documented....and documented ALL OVER THE PLACE. Welcome to getting into the most popular engine in the world. No excuses for lack of finding info.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-13-2020)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by fast5speed
I just bought my first LS1 engine. I got an entire drivetrain out of a 1998 camaro, w/t56, to put into a BMW wagon I just bought.

So, basically, I'm planning to do an LSx swap into a different vehicle chassis. Every time I get a new car, I begin learning about that car, it's production, how it works, etc. Now my learning process starts for the GM LS engines.

I'm looking around, and it's so hard to find modern information. Every time I google a question, I get old threads from like 2007. All the pictures have since been deleted off photobucket, links are always broken, and it's basically a worthless thread. Time after time. Forums are clogged with old, useless junk threads.

One of the biggest areas I keep finding tons of antiquated software is in the tuning category. I'm hoping there are modern 2017 options for tuning, rather than still using some Windows XP derived tuning program that looks like an Excel sheet from 1999. Is there anything open source? Or even something for a reasonable price? All the tuning software for a computer is $500+ and it's old stuff that's limped along from 2002. I don't really understand the handhelds. When I go to HPTuners.com, for example, they sell their computer software for tuning for $500, but they also sell the 'VCM scanner' to "view, chart, and log data in real time!" but....it offers the exact same features that I get on my phone when I bought an $11 ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 connector for my phone. I'm kinda confused.

Am I missing something here? It's 2017. I should just be able to buy a cord or bluetooth connector for OBD2-to-USB, and plug into my computer and get some software for like $50 to tinker around with values.

I guess maybe someone can outline my options? I've looked at the "Tuning FAQs" thread sticked at the top of this forum, and it's kind of lackluster. It just lists "HPtuners," "EFILive," and a couple handheld tuners.
I can't find a 'basics of tuning' sort of thing. I understand I need a computer with software, and a way to connect the two, but what is this nonsense about needed a little interface box in-between the car and computer?
LMFAO.......

NO.

That's not how this works....that's not how any of this works....
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-13-2020)
Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

This isn't some knock off type **** like a fake VagCom for VW.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes some things that seem to be really expensive, are actually very expensive for a reason...
Old 07-12-2017, 05:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

If you can develop your own software, then yes you could do it for $50.

Wake the **** up.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:05 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My LS1 SWAP

I was wondering if someone can tell me if I can use the ls3 ecu and harness on my LS1 OBS build?
Old 07-13-2020, 03:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

OBS ?

LS3 ecu is not compatible with LS1 crank/cam triggers.
The following 2 users liked this post by stevieturbo:
Angels512 (07-14-2020), G Atsma (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Angels512
I was wondering if someone can tell me if I can use the ls3 ecu and harness on my LS1 OBS build?
Nope. Not at all....

Quick Reply: 2017 tuning options?