PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FiTech LS standalone self tuning efi reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Default FiTech LS standalone self tuning efi reviews?

Anyone running this stuff or care to comment on the new FiTech 70050 and 70051?

Currently my 5.3 has 151k, custom 218/228 cam motion cam, ported stock heads and truck intake with a torqstorm centri supercharger pushing 10-11psi with 72lb FIC injectors. I dont run the car in closed loop, runs decent but i'm not master tuner and I'm honestly sick of tuning it with a laptop. I use HPT pro and I datalog to tune it but its all getting old. Ive been having issues with cold and hot starting. Cold it starts but runs lean for like 15s and then comes alive and richens up and no matter how I adjust the afterstart tables nothing really helps. Hot starts it does the same thing but tends to crank longer. Some other small issues but overall the system works and I keep it in open loop with STFT enabled but still feel like its yanking fuel all over the place depending on outside temps, elevation etc. I run a w2A intercooler and inject 50/50 water meth at 750cc. Car is only street driven and I take it on long drives to shows in the mountains etc.

So i'm looking at possibly swapping it out to the FiTech to take advantage of the self tuning, its boost enabled and my low boost makes it seem like a win win. It controls timing and fuel and I can get it for under $900 to my door with injector adapters.

Some people say they are junk, some like them. I wouldnt use it on an all out race car or something with a TON of boost but 10-11psi and a mild street car if the stock PCM is capable then the FiTech should be good no? Looking for reliability and driveability. Ive tried calling 3 times and never get to talk to someone at FiTech, so far its only been email so I'm not really happy about that.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Go with Holley's Sniper, you'll be much happier.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Go with Holley's Sniper, you'll be much happier.
When I talked with Holley originally about the terminator they said the PCM isn't setup for boost control and would require ad ons. Total cost was over 2k. They said it would be better to step up to the dominator PCM which was over 2k just for the PcM. Isn't the sniper the more basic system?
Old 06-29-2017, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
When I talked with Holley originally about the terminator they said the PCM isn't setup for boost control and would require ad ons. Total cost was over 2k. They said it would be better to step up to the dominator PCM which was over 2k just for the PcM. Isn't the sniper the more basic system?
You are right I apologize. My only dealings with Fitech was their carb EFI stuff that's why I said Sniper. That's what I get for not searching the part numbers you posted.

Unless you are needing trans control or a bunch of inputs/outputs the holley HP will work. Yes the boost controller is separate but the ECU is more than capable of boost, you just need to order the MAP sensor you need.

I know sometimes there is a lot of confusion with the Terminator line with Holley and the different ECU's.

Holley has two ECU's, HP and Dominator.

The Dominator will do trans control, dual widebands, can run an extra set of injectors and has more inputs/outputs than you can wrap your head around. If you don't need those extra things HP will do everything you need it to.

The Terminator line uses the exact same ECU's but they are packaged differently, LS, TBI, etc, and can use a handheld instead of having to use a laptop but the depth of the tuning is not the same.

If you have any questions about Holley stuff shoot me a PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
You are right I apologize. My only dealings with Fitech was their carb EFI stuff that's why I said Sniper. That's what I get for not searching the part numbers you posted.

Unless you are needing trans control or a bunch of inputs/outputs the holley HP will work. Yes the boost controller is separate but the ECU is more than capable of boost, you just need to order the MAP sensor you need.

I know sometimes there is a lot of confusion with the Terminator line with Holley and the different ECU's.

Holley has two ECU's, HP and Dominator.

The Dominator will do trans control, dual widebands, can run an extra set of injectors and has more inputs/outputs than you can wrap your head around. If you don't need those extra things HP will do everything you need it to.

The Terminator line uses the exact same ECU's but they are packaged differently, LS, TBI, etc, and can use a handheld instead of having to use a laptop but the depth of the tuning is not the same.

If you have any questions about Holley stuff shoot me a PM.
Sorry I meant to say I talked to holley about the HP system. They said at $1700 or the price for the kit would cost over 2k for all the extra stuff I needed. FWIW I'm looking for just engine control (no trans as I run a 2004R). I dont want it to control my water/meth as its already on a progressive controller. Basically just need it to run my motor up to 11psi boost. I already run the car with the stock PCM, converted harness and a GM 2bar MAP sensor. So something that self tunes, gets my AFR spot on and increases driveability/cold and hot starts and idling etc.

Quick Reply: FiTech LS standalone self tuning efi reviews?