PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Tutorial-MAF Scaling for High Horsepower Setups

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019 | 10:01 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Does the engine size selection (under engine tab) do anything when you change it?
I believe so. You are telling the computer the motor is smaller to keep the scaling right on things like load and %ve fill.
Old 01-27-2019 | 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Does the engine size selection (under engine tab) do anything when you change it?
It does when VE units are %.

It does not when VE units are g*K/kPa (an option in EFILive).
Old 09-11-2019 | 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by subeone
good write up thank you for adding to this section of tech. I was beginning to lose hope

one thing to note is that IDC does not depend on engine size/airflow, just pw rpm and time!
What is IDC
Old 09-11-2019 | 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nate Martinez
What is IDC
Injector Duty cycle

or I don’t care. Lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Kfxguy:
ddnspider (09-12-2019), G Atsma (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019 | 06:17 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Injector Duty cycle

or I don’t care. Lol
Old 02-12-2020 | 11:35 AM
On The Tree
10 Year Member

Am I correct in my thinking that B4107 CL Mode should be shifted like the spark tables instead of scaled like majority of the tables?

Like Joe said, it's one of the tables where the axis is derived/calculated/using mass air flow? (vs the values in the table themselves)

I worked thru a quick idle example assuming 8 g/s flow at idle and with the scaled tune, at idle you would be sitting at a different "CL mode", which then would propagate into the various STFT base correction or delay tables. It was maybe a tenth of second or so off, but that's also like 50% error or something. Notice both the CL mode and STFT base delay tables are very 'steep' in the lower region.

If/when I get around to going back to a blended VE/MAF tune I'll give it a go and report back.
Old 02-12-2020 | 11:52 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

I believe it should be shifted, but here is what I ran into....The problem I saw when I did it was with a 50% scaled tune the values shifted it so far up that most of the rows ended up at the max value that it almost made it a pointless table. I have left it stock and turned my fuel trims back on and was correcting to stoich. Personally i would not leave LTFT's on for a high HP, big overlap, etc. setup anyways. Just kept on STFT's and it has been working ok. YMMV.
Old 02-12-2020 | 12:57 PM
On The Tree
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I believe it should be shifted, but here is what I ran into....The problem I saw when I did it was with a 50% scaled tune the values shifted it so far up that most of the rows ended up at the max value that it almost made it a pointless table. I have left it stock and turned my fuel trims back on and was correcting to stoich. Personally i would not leave LTFT's on for a high HP, big overlap, etc. setup anyways. Just kept on STFT's and it has been working ok. YMMV.
Yeah, for sure, I noticed that too. My thought process is that if I maintain STFT/closed loop fueling functioning as well or nearly as well as stock setup then no reason I can't leave LTFT enabled. I'm probably the oddball, but I like that positive LTFT carries into PE fueling, as a safety precaution. For example if I put a little bit too much E85 in the tank, LTFT should account for it and keep me within normal AFR at WOT (without having to mess with the tune). I don't have a huge cam by any means (226/230), but I was hoping that LTFT will work a little better on a MAF car vs my current SD tune. We'll see!
Old 03-03-2022 | 01:30 PM
Launching!

Hi all,

Reviving an old thread vs starting a new one. I am new to tuning and have been researching my mind numb for the past while on everything. With that said, I have decided that I want to go down the path of a scaled maf tune once I hit my 512g/s limit. Currently, I have a card style maf in a 4" pipe, so I should have room to grow on the hz side of things. What I am currently trying to grasp is the "What now?" after the initial scaling as described in the first few posts. While tuning, will I have to be scaling anything on the fly? Or is it all percentage based so the basic tuning should remain the same? AKA scale once and don't worry about it? Still figuring that part out.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2022 | 01:44 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by MDoe8
Hi all,

Reviving an old thread vs starting a new one. I am new to tuning and have been researching my mind numb for the past while on everything. With that said, I have decided that I want to go down the path of a scaled maf tune once I hit my 512g/s limit. Currently, I have a card style maf in a 4" pipe, so I should have room to grow on the hz side of things. What I am currently trying to grasp is the "What now?" after the initial scaling as described in the first few posts. While tuning, will I have to be scaling anything on the fly? Or is it all percentage based so the basic tuning should remain the same? AKA scale once and don't worry about it? Still figuring that part out.

Thanks in advance!
Glad you found the sticky useful. What are your goals for the car? If you already have a card style MAF in a 4 inch tube and aren't planning on north of say 550-600whp, you dont need to scale the tune at all.
Old 03-03-2022 | 01:53 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the response. It is h/c/i now and will soon have a mild Vortech Si setup. Initially on lower boost, but we know how that goes. I'd say a first it'll be 550-600, so it'll be close. That being said, once turned up, it will likely break he 512 barrier.
Old 03-03-2022 | 02:09 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Thanks for the response. It is h/c/i now and will soon have a mild Vortech Si setup. Initially on lower boost, but we know how that goes. I'd say a first it'll be 550-600, so it'll be close. That being said, once turned up, it will likely break he 512 barrier.
Ah, ok so you will want to scale. Once you scale the tune, by say 50% then you would follow the normal tuning process by dialing in AFR error to build either the MAF transfer function or the VE tables. Once the AFR is right, then you can tackle things like spark and idle etc. You shouldn't need to rescale unless you reach another limit because you didn't scale enough the first time.
Old 03-03-2022 | 02:35 PM
Launching!

Thanks! That is great to hear. Would be a big pain to have to scale every tune, would not be worth it. Sounds like it's just initial inputs are scaled, then all else is normal.

Thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
ddnspider (03-03-2022)
Old 04-01-2022 | 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Maybe this can help you out…

MDoe8 (07-28-2022)
Old 01-30-2023 | 12:14 PM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Shout out to joecar and Greg Banish for teaching me most of what I know

WARNING- I take no responsibility for you following this and blowing something up. Use your head, ask questions, and stay conservative and everything should work out.

I've seen a lot of questions over the years and especially lately about HAVING to remove the MAF once you start making a certain amount of hp; either because its a restriction or because it won't/can't read enough airflow. While we can argue whether or not the MAF is a restriction, very few people I see understand how to get around the max limits of the MAF and assume you must remove it. Many people dont realize that they do have options instead of ditching it and going speed density, so this is a tutorial to help others understand the option and what it takes to keep a MAF.

MAF Alternatives

Most are aware of the 85mm truck maf's, but many dont know that there is the option to put an LS7 MAF on their car very easily. The LS7 MAF is a cartridge style and there are a couple companies that make 4 inch tubes that allow the LS7 MAF to bolt on. Also, what I would consider very important is the airflow straightener, aka. the honeycomb. See below photos of the LS7 maf tube and air straightener. With how large the 4" tube is, having a honeycomb to straighten the airflow across the sensor can make a huge improvement in things like idle quality. Several companies also sell an LS7 to LS1 harness adapter so its truely plug and play. One of the photos is courtesy of Carlrx7 from the HP Tuners forum. Saxon makes the honeycombs and Spectre makes the 4" tube among others.

Why do we need to change MAF's???

The factory PCM has 2 hardcoded limits. One is the MAF frequency that is typically something like 12kHz. The other limit is the maximum airflow which is something like 64lb/min of airflow. The following posts will discuss what to actually change in the tune to scale it. As for the MAF frequency, the frequency the MAF sees is based on how much airflow is moving across it. This is because the frequency output is proportional to the amount of cooling that happens as the airflow cools the hot wire inside the MAF. By moving to an LS7 MAF in a larger tube, this allows more airflow per given step in MAF frequency Typically you can get away with the stock MAF with a scaled tune to around 600rwhp. Above that, you may need to move to a larger MAF.
Just adding to this post. The 4" cartridge MAF uses a different IAT calibration than the standard one in the P01 and P59 PCMs. I have tested these values between about 20F and 110F on startup after an overnight soak in the elements. Between those points the IAT will read within a degree or two of the coolant and transmission fluid. This curve seems to be relatively accurate when using the LS3/LS7 MAF.

ddnspider (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023 | 04:44 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Thanks for including!
The following 2 users liked this post by ddnspider:
Fast355 (01-30-2023), Full Power (06-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Tutorial-MAF Scaling for High Horsepower Setups