PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaustive test on the ECM? (gen4 ws6)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaustive test on the ECM? (gen4 ws6)

Does such a tool exist to do an exhaustive test of the ECM? I'm wondering if anyone has removed their ECM from the car and carried it into either a shop or a dealer to test it.
The reason I'm asking is because I'm afraid mine is partially dead. No scan tool can communicate with the ABS module. I've checked the wiring harnesses. Checked the sensors at the wheels, checked fuses. Then I replaced the ABS module. Still two separate scan tools say, "cannot communicate with ABS module". The ABS INOP, BRAKE, and TCS OFF lights remain lit. There are no other stored codes. The tech at the shop where I went to have the codes read suggested it's likely that some part of the computer is fried.
What's the best way to proceed with testing?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Moving to PCM Diagnostics and Tuning.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ECM or EBCM? Sounds like your problem is with the EBCM that mounts on the front of the ABS pump. I just fixed a 01 Z28with similar problems by replacing that part.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

There is not an apparatus to remote test an ABS module. Testing starts with codes, ok theres no comm with ABS module.
Then check powers and grounds to said module, its also good to test these with a headlight bulb. I usually just go from the power to the ground right at the connector basically checking both at the same time. If the light doesnt burn then go to the battery ground etc etc.
If you have power and ground next test the data link wires. An ohmmeter is used, go from the module to the DLC and you should have less than 0.5 ohms. If all that is good the module is prob damaged.
1 question i have is did you use a new module or a used module? And has it been programmed to your car? The module must be programmed to your vin #
Old 09-03-2017, 03:40 AM
Teching In

thanks for the replies...
I've tested the ground and power to the EBCM, and they are good (I used a small light bulb as suggested).
I replaced the EBCM with a remanufactured unit I ordered from RockAuto. Wasn't aware that programming was needed for EBCM replacement (the service manual is fairly limited in information of that nature with regard to EBCM).

And the usual follow up question - do I need to take the car to a shop to have it done? Or can I just hand them the EBCM and vin? The reason I ask is cuz I HATE taking my car to shops. There isn't a good GM-centric shop where I live and most of the technicians around here like to take a V8 for a proverbial Italian tuneup when the owner isn't there.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We have a local Camaro/Firebird salvage here and I just replaced the EBCM with a good used one from them on the car I referred to. There are 2 different ones used on those cars. 98 and 99-02. We just swapped out the front electronics part, not the whole pump.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Teching In

my car is a 2000 WS6 (with traction control). So far I've just changed the electronic piece that attaches to the front of the ABS unit (which I think is the EBCM) and I'm still getting the message on the code reader stating "cannot communicate with ABS control module". Could I have gotten a bad one from RockAuto? I'll check my wiring again.

Quick Reply: exhaustive test on the ECM? (gen4 ws6)