PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

D1SC: Nelson Performance Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017 | 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Default D1SC: Nelson Performance Tune

Anyone running a Nelson Performance tune with a turbo or procharged build? I had my old HCI Z28 tuned by them in the past and had no issues at all. I just bought a D1SC kit from bob @brute-speed. Still waiting for it to ship and install. Right now I’m looking to get the car tuned by Nelson and wanted to know if anyone recommends anyone else. There is a local shop here but don’t trust many people messing with my car. Also thinking of HP tuners but not experienced in tuning cars myself.
Old 11-01-2017 | 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 02z28marom6
Anyone running a Nelson Performance tune with a turbo or procharged build? I had my old HCI Z28 tuned by them in the past and had no issues at all. I just bought a D1SC kit from bob @brute-speed. Still waiting for it to ship and install. Right now I’m looking to get the car tuned by Nelson and wanted to know if anyone recommends anyone else. There is a local shop here but don’t trust many people messing with my car. Also thinking of HP tuners but not experienced in tuning cars myself.
Thanks for the order today, Dave! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-01-2017 | 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Thanks for the order today, Dave! Bob
Thanks for all the help Bob!
Old 11-01-2017 | 03:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Thanks for all the help Bob!
You're welcome, anytime! Thanks Dave. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-01-2017 | 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

I can only tell my personal experience, but I would run far away from a Nelson tune. Before I knew anything about EFI tuning, I wanted to get rid of the piggyback computer on my Whippled Silverado. I went to Nelson's shop in San Antonio and left the truck for him to install larger injectors and tune. When I left his shop, my aftermarket electric fans weren't working, and the blower wasn't making full boost. He had cut the power wire to my e fans, and improperly hooked up the part throttle blower bypass vacuum line. When I later bought my own tuning software, the extremely minor tuning changes he had actually made to the factory computer were readily apparent. It was truly a hack "tuning" job that was a waste of keyboard time. Then again, that was almost 15 years ago, so maybe he has learned a few things.
Old 11-05-2017 | 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

15 year ago - back in 2002 there still wasn't a huge knowledge base out there. Heck lot's of tuners were still using LSedit. Software companies were just getting started hacking into the PCM -EFI Live etc.

So perhaps not fair to compare what tuners knew and practiced back then compared to today's technology and what is available now.
Old 11-05-2017 | 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

^^^^ This^^^^^^^
A LOT has happened in 15 years! Find out from people who have used Nelson in the last 5 yrs or so. You will get a better read on the situation.
Old 11-05-2017 | 03:23 PM
FormerVendor

One thing to consider is they lock ALL there tunes. Every vehicle we have seen from there has had a locked ecm.
Old 11-05-2017 | 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
One thing to consider is they lock ALL there tunes. Every vehicle we have seen from there has had a locked ecm.
NOT good! Steer clear....
Old 11-05-2017 | 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
I guess I met him before he even learned how to lock a "tune".
Old 11-12-2017 | 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

I’m sure locking the pcm makes the customer come back! I originally had my car tuned by nelson with basic bolt-ons. Did my HCI install on my Z28 and sent my pcm to Texas Speed. They could not unlock it for me. So after weeks of shipping costs I sent it to Nelson and just had them tune it. Cost a little more but they did a great job. I am looking at tuned by frost who are located 40 minutes from me in Richmond VA. Heard great things from these guys. And I want dyno numbers so will probably put it on the meter!

Quick Reply: D1SC: Nelson Performance Tune