PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android/Elm327 Pcm Flash App (LS Droid Read only released)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I looks like I'll be getting a Obdlink Mx soon...

please point me to where I can download your Android software (and how do I install it)...

( sorry, the thread had gotten longer and I can't seem to find those details )
Old 09-13-2018, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
I looks like I'll be getting a Obdlink Mx soon...

please point me to where I can download your Android software (and how do I install it)...

( sorry, the thread had gotten longer and I can't seem to find those details )
The only thing I have avaible for download is the Alpha version of my Vin/Serial write app for the P01 pcm....it also has the ability to remove a tuner lock but that part is on a hidden menu since it has a very specific purpose and accidental misuse will result in a locked pcm.

I have a method I've been working on for Serial number write on the P59 but it's a ways out still.

Ls Droid Read is still under development but is my current focus. I'd like to get this out there as quick as I can even if it's just an Alpha version for now. Testing compatibility on various phones is going to be a HUGE factor on where my development goes. Things like a phone call or txt message during a read was resulting in a crash of the flash kernel that couldn't be recovered from with out cutting power to the pcm to clear the kernel from memory. I've come up with a couple of safe guards to keep this from happening but there is no way of knowing if it's a universal fix for all types of phones or if it only works on certain phones. Getting this tested on various phones is #1 on my list once the app's relatively stable. It's easy to recover the pcm while your reading it......if it were to crash during a write it'd likely brick the pcm. So there isn't any point in working on the write side of this until I know I'm able to block anything that would interfere with the Bluetooth connection. The only way that's going to be tested is with trial and error.....and I'm expecting all kinds of errors to be honest.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well.......it's not pretty but is 100% working flawlessly on the P01's. I haven't let it run the full duration on a P59 but it's reading those as well however due to the time it takes with 256 byte blocks in 1x more it'd take a good how or so to read one of those pcm's.

Android Phone + Elm327 = Winning

Spoiler!

The first .bin file that was validated as it read and saved.
.bin file that was read - Open with Tuner Pro

Old 09-14-2018, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PeteS160
The only thing I have avaible for download is the Alpha version of my Vin/Serial write app for the P01 pcm....it also has the ability to remove a tuner lock but that part is on a hidden menu since it has a very specific purpose and accidental misuse will result in a locked pcm.

I have a method I've been working on for Serial number write on the P59 but it's a ways out still.

Ls Droid Read is still under development but is my current focus. I'd like to get this out there as quick as I can even if it's just an Alpha version for now. Testing compatibility on various phones is going to be a HUGE factor on where my development goes. Things like a phone call or txt message during a read was resulting in a crash of the flash kernel that couldn't be recovered from with out cutting power to the pcm to clear the kernel from memory. I've come up with a couple of safe guards to keep this from happening but there is no way of knowing if it's a universal fix for all types of phones or if it only works on certain phones. Getting this tested on various phones is #1 on my list once the app's relatively stable. It's easy to recover the pcm while your reading it......if it were to crash during a write it'd likely brick the pcm. So there isn't any point in working on the write side of this until I know I'm able to block anything that would interfere with the Bluetooth connection. The only way that's going to be tested is with trial and error.....and I'm expecting all kinds of errors to be honest.
No worries, take your time...

( I'm not in a hurry, I've got job seeking going on, and other stuff )

Thanks

Old 09-14-2018, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

alright alright alright

Pete's LS Droid reads out .bins on my Pixel 2 no problem. I'm using the OBDLink MX. Takes about 15 mins or so for a 512mb computer. I don't have a 1kb computer handy.

The screenshots are it reading out a weirdo 4896 computer with a 9273372 OS

I'm currently reading out a 3 bar COS #1260002 from a 0411 computer and it appears to be working just fine
Old 09-14-2018, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

COS 1260002 reads and saves as a .bin just fine!

Kudos Pete!

Now we just need a flash kernel and we'll be golden!

​​​​​​

Last edited by truckdoug; 09-14-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please send me a link to download the app.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big_A
Please send me a link to download the app.
This is not currently available for download. I've sent out a couple copies of the app to people who have been using my Vin/Serial app for some time now and are people I have worked with trouble shooting issues with various pcm's or compatibility of my app with their phone who I felt would be capable and willing to help debug any issues they may run into while testing out the app.

Truckdoug happens to be one of those people and has been using my Vin/Serial app for about 6 months. He has kept in touch with me by email and has been active in this thread as well as me thread regarding the pcm hammer.

There are a couple of other members here I have sent the app to as well but I have not heard anything back from them just yet. I know at least a one of them will want to remain anonymous for business reasons and I respect that
Old 09-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been working with Pete for the past almost 2 weeks on and off working on my vehicle and trying to remove the tuner lock... and honestly all I can say is he knows what he is doing, the apps he is developing are great and I cant wait to see them out in the market.

I read through this whole thread because I actually found pete not from this one.... and honestly it blows me away so may people were bashing him at the beginning of it and saying it wasn't worth the time. It wont work, Phones cant do that, Its pointless and no one wants it.... Everything has to start from something.... but hey there are a lot of key board banger's everywhere.

But back to my car and issue... If anyone has had to deal with a tuner lock on there PCM, you feel my pain and understand how much of a inconvenience it is.
My car is currently tuned for nitrous, so the timing is pulled out alot at the top end to make it safe... good for when I spray but that is only when I am racing... 80% of the driving I dont spray it... so it has a huge loss of power and doesn't even feel the same. So my resolve to have best of both worlds was to buy hp tuners, wide band so I can data log my self, load the nitrous tune when i'm ready to race and put back the all motor tune when i'm done. No big deal right.... Well I spend all the money, install everything to find out its locked... I contact my tuner and he said he would not unlock it, and if he did he would flash it back to stock and that would make my car un-drive able. The fact that i've paid close to 700-800 for first tune plus a re-tune after new cam is not right. Its not about effecting/changing his tune, but to allow my car to be much more drive able on all motor and the ability to swap maps, also to allow myself to learn more about it. So no only is he preventing me to learning, preventing me access to my own car, and flashing it back to stock and all the "tune" money a complete waste and having to start back from scratch again. I didn't accept that.. I understand his side as to where he wouldn't want the tune to be adjusted, cause damage and it put back onto him... but with a mutual understanding or even a signed paper that could be prevented unless there are other reasons why he didn't want it to be seen.

I messaged pete and gave him the story and why I needed it unlocked and he was willing to help. Over multiple email's... 100 if not more, multiple hours on my side trying different procedures, probably double the amount of time on pete's side, We were finally able to get everything to work!!! I'm not going to lie, in the middle of it and the multiple failures for it to read or write I could believe he was still helping me. He never once asked for money for his time or anything, and was right there helping. On the final night we were both up till 3:30am working on it when we got it complete. His knowledge of the coding and everything is very impressive, every little bug we had to work through he figured it our very fast and was great working with him! Thanks again for your help!!!

Now all I have to do is get this timing table dialed in and ready for the next race!

Last edited by jaybracer1; 09-20-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the kind words jaybracer1, I'm sorry it took that long to get it done but all that matters is it worked out in the end.

For those reading this, His PCM has been tuner locked with HP Tuners. This was my first encounter with Hp Tuners locking system so there was a bit of a learning curve here. The fact this was also being done IN CAR didn't help this at all and this is the first time I've heard of any one trying something like this in car and I wasn't sure if it would work/could be done in car and it turns out it can be......on a Corvette no less.

Using a combination of my apps...and this was part of the reason I pushed so hard to get my LS Droid Flash working over the past week and is the primary reason all of this was successful.

I've got several pages of notes from this ordeal but the important thing is the method to remove the lock is repeatable now. It's going to take some time to work out a way to stream line the process for people to use......... but this marks the end of the tuner locking era on the P01 computers.

It doesn't matter who or what program locks the PCM, it can be bypasses AND now removed.

The P59 is on my list of things to do and I'll be able to do the same for those as well.... It's just gonna take some more time.

A $50 Elm Bluetooth dongle and a Samsung S3 are all it took to do this. It's not about how much something costs it's about how well the tools avaible can be utilized.

I was also very impressed that my LS Droid Flash worked on the Samsung S3.....that's a pretty old phone and was outdated a long time ago but it still managed to get the job done
Old 09-19-2018, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good Job

( in gasoline tuning, locking the ECM is considered bad form (trying to hide something questionable) )

Last edited by joecar; 09-19-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

^ generally my experience as well
Old 09-27-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have some good news, OBDLink has responded to my requests that allow MUCH larger blocks then the app has been working with and the new commands are considerably faster then using Elm Commands. Now keep in mind this is still in 1x mode but this alone has taken the read time of the P01 from around 29 minutes using live app development mode..... to just under 12 minutes now. The OBDLink firmware needs the memory buffer increased a bit more to get to the next larger block size but it's close and that would also speed things up even more. The changes would put the P59 at right around 26 minutes to read....still not great but it'd be livable.

What's even better news... ObdLink feels my work on this project and the work being done on the Pcm Hammer now justify a serious look into adding 4x mode to their devices. They haven't said it will be done yet....but a request has been sent to their engineering department to determine what it will take to get 4x mode working with the SX(USB) and the Lx/Mx BT devices.

Getting 4x support added to the devices would be HUGE. It's still too early to do anything but speculate but getting the next larger block size AND 4x mode added would make this potentially fast enough to be on par with commercial flash tools......I would have never dreamed that would be possible but now I'm starting to think it might be
Old 09-27-2018, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds awesome, it's about time! This thread is long though, could you update the first post with info on all of the capabilities and requirements of your program? I'm def. interesting in playing around with it, as I have a few PCMs sitting around for my LS swap
Old 09-27-2018, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

even without 4x mode 12 min for a p01 is absolutely livable!
Old 09-28-2018, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Made some noticeable changes tonight, the biggest being that ALL reads are now treated as if the Pcm is in a vehicle. It adds a small amount of time to the overall process but it removes the need for the user to check a box saying it's in a vehicle. It puts read time for a P01 at 13 minutes and 2 seconds, it slowed the app down by about 40 seconds but now it's follow the GM flashing protocol exactly how it's supposed to be. Tested the app in my truck tonight and the read time in vehicle was exactly the same as on the bench and it had ZERO issues getting control of the data bus to stop all the modules from talking.

It seems I'm hitting a wall right now in Android that's slowing this down when calculating the block sum after it reads each block. Just for the sake of testing I disabled block verification and the app almost looks like it's in 4x mode with out it. So......I think I need to investigate a better way to calculate the blocks because right now adding 4x I don't think would have all that much impact on the overall speed since the app's spending a great deal of time doing the math calculations rather then reading data.

Just for the sake of data verification I compared the last 5 pcm's reads(all from the same pcm) and they are 100% matches...even my last read with out the block sum verification so at least I know my algorithms are working correctly every time now.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry, but what is the END goal for this app? What will it be capable of? Read write I get. But how much of the actual file can you see/interact with/modify?
Old 09-28-2018, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the end goal is to be able to read write with the app and be able to modify the tune file with something like the program TunerPro which we use on the OBD1 ECMs/PCMs. TunerPro is free. As long as we can get a good definition file for the LSx PCMs on TunerPro I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The end goal is that there won't be an end......it'll only get better with time.

Short term goals....
Releasing a read only Alpha version that generates a .bin file and collect feed back on issues/bugs or phone compatibility problems.
Package my Vin/Serial app, Tuner Lock app and Pcm .Bin read into a single app that would be released as an open Beta version and collect feedback.
Start on Calibration write development while still collecting feedback on the open beta app.
Release a calibration write version packed into the previous app and continue the open beta testing.
Implement full OS write and Pcm cloning....this would need a great deal of testing and it's likely only tuners would be able and willing to help test this since an error will probably brick the pcm and require opening it up to repair.

Release a completed version of the app and then start on creating a basic tuning program for things like tire size, gear ratio, VATS, injector rating etc. Things that are not table based or only use very simple tables and then see how it works. Some things work better on paper or if the mind then they do in reality.

At some point i'll be creating a data logging app as well, I've worked out how Dpid works and it's FAST but changing the items dynamically to log is not nearly as simple as using conventional data pids. If there was some type of master list of pids to log it would help sort this out but it seems different tuners use different lists of data pids to tune from.

As for Tuner Pro, I have been in contact with a couple of people that have been working on Xdf's for the last 6-8 months now in their spare time. The 512K pcm's will have amazing coverage....the 1mb will have some coverage but it's gonna take some time for it to even try and catch up to the 512K in terms of available Xdf's.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd think one or two popular 1mb file definitions would be enough. A couple choice ones are so flexible they can cover just about every engine/trans/fuel/throttle combination available.

Quick Reply: Android/Elm327 Pcm Flash App (LS Droid Read only released)