PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

LS1 Swap/HPT - how do you flash a Yukon 411 with a Camaro tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017 | 05:25 PM
Teching In

Default LS1 Swap/HPT - how do you flash a Yukon 411 with a Camaro tune?

I swapped an '02 Camaro LS1 into a 78 Trans Am, Painless harness and 4L60. I bought a working 12200411 PCM out of an '02 Yukon. I have HP Tuners and an '02 Camaro tune that I want to use.

How do you swap in the Camaro tune to the PCM using HP Tuners? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2017 | 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

You might get more response over on the HP Tuners forums.

Though the questions you are asking could be figured out if you would buy one of the many books about using HP tuners. OR, find someone local to you that has HP Tuners and ask if they would be willing to help you.

If you have HP tuners, and you have downloaded and saved the current programming on your PCM, and you also have the "camaro" tune in your computer, you can use the COMPARE feature and just copy and paste the pertinent information over. Or segment swap it.

Please note though that even if you get the programming copied over there is a big possibility that you will need to do further calibrating to get the engine to run optimally. Just because a "tune" ran well in one vehicle DOES NOT guarantee success when running it on a different vehicle. There are too many variables at play. There is a LOT to learn about using HP tuners. You can easily get yourself into trouble, or even damage your engine, if you make mistakes with the programming.

I recommend you read, read some more, and then continue to read, until you think you have a basic understanding (which you still won't). I have purchased 4 books on HP Tuners and every night I'm at my computer reading the posts on here, and HP Tuners forums, and reading in bed. When I'm in the bathroom I'm reading one of my books. I'm in it at least 60 hours so far and still feel like I have not even scratched the surface yet. I have successfully flashed a "411" computer that came out of a 2001 Silverado, 1500 series, with A4 trans (4L60E) over to run my 6.0 (370CI) engine, and a 4L80E. I only attempted that after all of the reading I have done.

Also, there are many GREAT videos on Youtube to get you started. I like a combination of reading, and watching videos, to really allow things to sink in. Here's one you might like;
Old 12-22-2017 | 10:30 PM
Teching In

I didnt know about segment swapping, only copying differences. That wasnt working when I was copying all differences because there would be differences that remained after the copy and those remaining differences were probably the reason it doesnt run right.

I suspect that one should read out a file from a VCM of the type of vehicle you want to tune, then there wouldnt be any differences to copy over?

Or does segment swapping overwrite the segment being swapped so after doing the segment swap for all the segments, you're left with a file that wouldnt have any differences?

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in this direction.
Old 12-22-2017 | 10:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by EvelBist
I swapped an '02 Camaro LS1 into a 78 Trans Am, Painless harness and 4L60. I bought a working 12200411 PCM out of an '02 Yukon. I have HP Tuners and an '02 Camaro tune that I want to use.

How do you swap in the Camaro tune to the PCM using HP Tuners? Thanks!
Open the camaro tune and do a write entire. It may cost you 4 credits vs 2 credits when doing this, I cant remember since we have unlimited.

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap/HPT - how do you flash a Yukon 411 with a Camaro tune?