Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Larger Thottle Body Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Larger Thottle Body Tuning

I am currently running a stock truck intake and DBC throttle body. I want to run a FAST 102 and throttle body until I can afford a Whipple or Magnuson. I will then sell the intake and keep the throttle body. I have read a lot about how the larger (102) throttle bodies are hard to tune for idle and low speed cruise. Is this still the case? I saw that Holley has a new throttle body that is suppose to make tuning better. What do you guys recommend? I am tuning with EFI Live. I want to avoid SD if possible.

LQ4 408 9.5CR with 317 heads and Tick Stage II Blower camshaft.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 526 Likes on 370 Posts

You are looking at a huge waste of money to put on a FAST as an intermediate step to a blower. The truck intakes flow so much better than the car intakes, that the FAST stuff is really only worth it in limited circumstances. The circumstance you described is not one of them. Back to your actual question, the larger TBs are harder to tune, and are completely unnecessary for what it looks like you want to build. Read through the FI forums a bit to see real world results
Old 01-19-2018, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 602 Likes on 443 Posts

i had a tbss intake with ebay 102mm tb on a twin turbo 4.8 and now it has a 5.3 short block under it. i never really had any tuning issues with idle and cruise stability. its a little bit difficult driving around at super low throttle openings but thats it.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Not an issue to tune but takes a little time to get right. I have never had surging, dying, or cruise control effect, as long as a couple things are right. Idle speed is reasonable, AFR is correct, TB butterfly is open enough to let the IAC do its job, and the base running airflow table is even remotely close. Nail down that and any TB will drive like stock.

Quick Reply: Larger Thottle Body Tuning