Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque and HPTuner at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque and HPTuner at the same time

I'm finishing up my LS swap into a BMW 5 series. I have an indash stereo that runs an Android OS, so I have Torque installed and can connect it to a bluetooth OBDII adapter to read the LS ECM......but I also have been playing around with HPTuner and it got me to thinking; rather than unplugging the OBDII dongle and plugging in HPTuner cable, what if I wired in a second OBDII port in parrallel so I can keep the OBDII dongle plugged in all the time and just plug in HPTuner into the 2nd port when needed?

Will this cause problems? I was thinking for scanning it wouldn't, but for writing I'm more concerned with it. Has anyone tried this?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 529 Likes on 373 Posts

I have seen OBD port splitters in the past, but reports on their functionality seem spotty at best. For scanning you would be limiting your refresh rates on each program, and for writing you would be taking what I would consider a high risk of fubaring a PCM. This is a best case scenario if the split functions at all. BTW, I have Android powered radios in my GTO and E320. So far I have only used Torque with an Elm adapter in the Mercedes, since I have HPT for the GTO.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be done.
If it's a Gen3 PCM you can simply tap the Class-2 bus with another OBD2 port, it will work good. Be careful with the number of PIDs you log, VPW PCMs are very limted.
If you have a Gen4 CAN ECU you can also do it as long as you terminate the network correctly with resistors. CAN Ecus are a lot faster for communications.

If you don't plan to be scanning with both at the same time then it's easier.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 529 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
It can be done.
If it's a Gen3 PCM you can simply tap the Class-2 bus with another OBD2 port, it will work good. Be careful with the number of PIDs you log, VPW PCMs are very limted.
If you have a Gen4 CAN ECU you can also do it as long as you terminate the network correctly with resistors. CAN Ecus are a lot faster for communications.

If you don't plan to be scanning with both at the same time then it's easier.
I'm curious as to what would happen if the bluetooth adapter attempts communication during a PCM flash with HPT. Scanning would not be dangerous, but perhaps flashing could be?
Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can interrupt the flash process.
Before the flash begins, the interface sends a "shut up" command to all the modules talking on the BUS, when the process is finished the communications are restored.
Any non-oem device on the bus will not recognize this shut up command and will keep sending requests to the BUS, that's why many aftermarket radios cause problems to flash the PCM.
I would remove anything present in the BUS

Quick Reply: Torque and HPTuner at the same time