Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing nick williams 102 with a lod speedworks intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing nick williams 102 with a lod speedworks intake manifold

Does anyone know if my tune will self adjust on a crate LS3 GM computer when I add a Nick Williams 102 throttle body to the LOD Speed works intake manifold? Obviously, it will probably require more fuel, but my concern and question is, will the GM computer have enough of a learning curve to adjust enough to drive it to a dyno cautiously?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Did you change the MAF sensor too? If so that thing will run like hammered dog**** until you calibrate it. Do you have access to hp tuners?

As far as your question goes, yes it should run, however it's a risky venture depending on how far that dyno is from you. Fuel trims will adjust to correct for the lean condition up to about 30% on average, as I have seen when I tune MAF sensors. They always require further adjustments after that. When I upgraded my wife's mustang MAF to a high flow one, and cold air intake, the initial error was 35%. That was the first round, and I saw up to 20% on round two.

The limitation stems from the NARROWBAND O2 sensors. They can only detect a limited range of AFR, hence the name. This limits your PCM on your STFT's, but will learn over time the total correction with LTFT's. The more error, the longer that takes.

If you absolutely have to, take it slow and don't get into the throttle. It would have to be done anyway when street tuning, but we usually add fuel to the VE (or MAF) before even starting. It's just better to add about 15% and go from there. Typically there are still a lot of lean spots. This also is mod dependent.

Quick Reply: Installing nick williams 102 with a lod speedworks intake manifold