Sponsored by:

08 Silverado MAF upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Silverado MAF upgrade??

Was cleaning my Air filter on my 08 silverado today at
a buddies and he noticed my MAF is quite abit different than his 2011 Silverado, mine has the honeycomb style Before the MAF and is one big bulky unit and his is not, basically open tube and the MAF itself is removeable . He made a valid point that the honeycomb is restricting a lot of air flow. My question is, has anyone actually connected the newer style MAF into the older (08 lower) style harness? The connector is the same size and appears to have the same amount of pins, the only difference is the clip that snaps them together, thinking one could trim them off and it would slip right on. But will it read The same?? They make adapter kits to fab your own piping to fit the Newer style MAF in, which wouldn't be a problem, just want to know if it'd even work with the 08 style harness. I'd like to get that extra air flow.. I have a K&N cold air if that matters at all.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Your MAF will actually pass all the air your engine needs. The honeycomb helps to straighten the air going thru it. The later design does not need it.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked into it alittle deeper after making this post and found out that it doesn't really make much of a difference, like you're saying. It just looks decieving and seemed like a good idea to look into seeing if there was a way to open it up or increase The flow. My truck only has a mild cam, and it's no hot rod by any means so I'm not too worried lol. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-19-2018, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problem man! Don't like to see money spent where it won't do much good!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

do NOT change the MAF sensor... bad bad bad.. Aftermarket/non-stock MAF sensors that were not made for your vehicle, do not report true, correct information to the pcm... aftermarket MAF sensor calibrations fool the pcm into thinking the engine is running leaner than it really is, so when trying to tune it and adjust the fueling correctly, it will never really be right/correct, because that aftermarket MAF sensor is not reporting true/accurate airflow info to begin with... and they usually cause idle and driveability issues... Plus, the stock GM MAF sensor is good for 600+ hp anyway, so there is no reason to change it...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-19-2018, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think he knows that now....