Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pingmaster Tune Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Pingmaster Tune Review

Hey guys, so long story short a friend of mine has a 02 Silverado with a freshly built 6.0 in it that I'm trying to retune for him. The last motor was a stock rebuild with BTR stage 2 truck cam, 317s milled .030 and pretty much stock everything else except for catback. He had someone else tune it and it ended up throwing a rod out the side of the block with about 50 miles on it. Yeah, he was pissed. Fast forward to now...

He just had a new 6.0 iron block built at machine shop with stock crank Gen4 rods, DSS forged pistons, BTR stage 3 truck cam, same milled 317s, headstuds, longtubes, and catback. Final compression is 10:5:1ish on 93 pump right now. Motor runs great but still has the same tune as before. I told him DO NOT WOT the motor until I can plug into it and see whats going on. Yesterday he brought it to me and I scanned it. I have a AEM uego that I plugged into the pass. side 02 port to check AFR and this thing is LEAN, like 16-17 all the damn time. I am new to HPT and have some minor tuning experience but I'm looking to really figure this truck out and increase my tuning base. The truck is straight axle and on 40s. It currently has a 3.73 gear which is way under what it needs, he will be putting 4.88s in it soon so it isn't such a turd.

Basically, no matter what I changed I could not get the AFR down to Stoich. It has stock truck injectors in it and even after pulling a ton of timing out of it, its still dead *** lean so I'm thinking the injectors are a huge part of that issue. I'm using The Tuning School Gen3/4 Level 1 GM book to walk through the steps of tuning so bear with me lol. I'm almost to the point of saying screw it, loading a stock 02 Silverado truck tune and starting from scratch. Please check out the initial tune (MightyWhiteyStocktune) and then the re-tune I started doing for it (MightyWhiteyLowtimingmain) as a general start tune ive done. Again, just a beginner so any criticism/tips are greatly appreciated. I yanked a ton of timing out of it so he doesn't blow it up again so when you see the timing table don't laugh lol. Thanks guys!

EDIT: just figured out all the engine math and this thing is 11:38:1 lol. DEF needs injector. He has a set of flex fuel 36lbers we are going to through in. would a set of 60s bee too much if we decided to put them in?
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
MightyWhiteySTOCKtune.hpt (230.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: hpt
MightyWhiteylowtimingmain.hpt (233.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-18-2018, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I never retune on top of someone elses tune. I always start from scratch and things seem to work out way better. U will be chasing your tale tuning in top of a shitty tune.

Alot of the truck platforms are way lean from the factory. Add all the mods he has to it and it will be way lean. Take the factory 5500rpm PE delay to 0 and start from there. Get VE right and it will fall in line.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably what I'm going to have to do man. I just checked the Main VE table with a compare file to a stock 02 Silverado and there is no difference at all. Gonna check for vaccum leaks etc on Tuesday. All the TQ management has been gone through as well as the PE delay too. I only picked up 1 count of knock on the last scan so even though its lean it didn't ping on the last hit we did so I'm happy about that.

as far as chasing my tail, at this point I think that's what is happening. I figured using the tune it had would cut down on me having to go through every little thing changing it but damn I was wrong lol.