PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

The list of Xdf's is slowing growing. 2 more have been added to the Github project. People can start getting excited since there's an Xdf for OS 12212156 in there now
Old 06-14-2018, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

The current state of the Windows app, running against a PCM on my desk:

A complete read of the PCM takes about 8 minutes using the USB version of the AllPro adapter. We can probably shave a couple minutes off of that time, but at this point I mostly just want it to work in an actual car. Every time I've tried that so far it has failed for one reason or another... It's getting closer though.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Fantastic progress! Thank you all again for the focus on executing this.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprogramming/Tuning

as a newbie with the LS engines ecu,s I’m installing a 2000 5.3 lm7 in a 84 c10 and reading tons of info of how to tune the ecu to handle a bigger cam reworked heads 4.8 flattop pistons etc etc most places are only able to remove VATS and get the engine running I have found 1 place for $350 recently that if I send my ecu they can program it for my modifications. So while my engine is in the process of getting rebuilt I am going crazy trying to figure out how to get a tune that I will be able to drive my truck with no stalling rough idle lack of power etc etc. I’m also running a 400 trans so no issues with trans Any help? The engine came with no wire harness or ecu so that’s another project but looking on YouTube looks like after the engine harness and ecu you just need maybe 4 wires from ecu 😓😓😓😓😓
Old 06-14-2018, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

I'm testing with an ecu that has only 4 wires attached, if ii remember right. Power, ground, key-on power, VPW... I think that's it.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kens84c10
as a newbie with the LS engines ecu,s I’m installing a 2000 5.3 lm7 in a 84 c10 and reading tons of info of how to tune the ecu to handle a bigger cam reworked heads 4.8 flattop pistons etc etc most places are only able to remove VATS and get the engine running I have found 1 place for $350 recently that if I send my ecu they can program it for my modifications. So while my engine is in the process of getting rebuilt I am going crazy trying to figure out how to get a tune that I will be able to drive my truck with no stalling rough idle lack of power etc etc. I’m also running a 400 trans so no issues with trans Any help? The engine came with no wire harness or ecu so that’s another project but looking on YouTube looks like after the engine harness and ecu you just need maybe 4 wires from ecu 😓😓😓😓😓
Let me work backwards on your questions.

For your harness check out lt1swap.com they have every thing you need to know about reworking a harness and how to hook everything up. And the information is free. They have a Facebook page and Youtube channel as well with video guides that walk you though the process if the written guides are not enough for you.

Your choice of transmission is going to cost you a bit of extra cash. The Th400 use's a gear drive speed output to a cable as does your instrument cluster. Your going to need to get a vehicle speed signal from the trans into the Pcm. There is a company called "dakota digital" that makes the adapter for doing this type of swap. They have adapters that can go from a 4l60E to cable drive or go from cable drive to a digital signal while retaining your factory cable drive dash. I know one way is a LOT cheaper then the other but I don't recall of the top of my head what version was cheaper.

Do your self a favor and pick up a 411 Pcm out of an 01 or 02 Silverado that's drive by cable throttle. The OS will need very little changed to make it work in a swap(with a stock engine) and your odds the OS it will have on it will already have XDF support for tuning are much better then if you use a 99 or 00 pcm. Stay away from the 2003+ pcm's as we have VERY limited support for them right now.

We are currently only in the reading stages of reading the pcm, to tune the engine you will need to be able to write back to the pcm. If your lucky and the Pcm you get already has Xdf support you won't need to mess with swapping the OS so being able to write the calibration sections needed for tuning won't be too far out once we release the read-only version.

To be able to do all of this yourself using our tool it's gonna be a couple of months still(hopefully while it's still summer) but I can't give you an exact time frame as to when the tool will be stable for consumer type use. So depending on the time frame of your project what we are working on will be able to do what you need it's just going to be a matter of how soon you plan on doing this.

As for the tuning it self, it will be very similar to what would be done using Hp Tuners or Efi live. Things look a bit different but we are following the same format as the commercial tools for tuning definitions for naming and table Id's so people don't get confused. If your using a guide that said in table 4403 do X, you will be able to find the same table in Tuner Pro using our Xdf's with out much trouble. As people become more familiar with TunerPro and our Xdf's I'm sure guides and walk thoughts will start popping up all over the place.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Default Thank You

thanks for the info when I go to the salvage yard I will look for that PCM Is the speedometer signal to the PCM necessary or can it be deleted? Or does it need the signal to control anything engine related? Not worried about the trans as it’s not controlled by anything but my foot 😀
Old 06-16-2018, 03:23 AM
TECH Resident

We got a full read from my Corvette today. It took 3 tries, so we need to keep working on the reliability, but that still counts as a major milestone.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Had successful readouts in vehicle today with the Avt-852, Obdlink Sx and the Allpro. The Allpro still needs some tweaking but it's getting there.....just takes a couple of tries if there is a lot of chatter on the data bus, but once it's reading it's good to go. Was unable to test the J2534, I've never had it hooked up to my netbook and the drivers for it didn't want to play nice with windows 10...go figure.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Things are looking good......

Spoiler!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

GO PCMHAMMER! love the name and Twisted Sister ofcourse...well done!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:12 AM
Teching In

Can't wait to see this in the wild. I've been looking for a relatively inexpensive way to simply disable the AFM (displacement on demand) on my 6.0L.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

damn thats looking really great Pete!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am interested in this to replace my USB BDM JTAG setup for the p01 and p59.
I have been disassembling and soldering wires to achieve reading and writing p01 and p59 with Intel flash like the ab28f800 ab28f400 and even came across a p59 with an AMD flash chip am29f800.
This bdm process was a step up from desoldering the flash and using a chip programmer. I hope I can go anther step up and not have to disassemble and solder wires on to pcms with this project. I ordered my allpro USB already!
Im not sure there's much I can contribute to this topic aside from letting people know the USB BDM info and software is out there and that stuff may have something to contribute.
I do have a few extra brand new Intel flash ab28f800 flash chips I can donate.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

thats rad, tell us more! how are you altering the stuff you read and write to the chip?
Old 06-21-2018, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

I'm hoping we'll have a solder-free solution to reading the PCM in the next couple weeks. Writing will take more time, but hopefully not a whole lot more.

Reading works pretty well now with the AVT and Scantool already, but the AVT is expensive and the Scantool is slow, so we really want it to work with the AllPro. But when we tell all of the modules in the car that we want to switch to high-speed mode, the AllPro only relays about half of the responses, which tends to screw up the transition to high-speed. Sometimes it works, but more often than not we end up with a mix of high-speed and low-speed messages flying around, and nothing works right after that.

We might need to tweak the firmware in the AllPro, but it's open source and the current firmware already contains some changes that Antus from PcmHacking.net submitted in the earlier stages of this project, so I'm pretty sure we'll get it working one way or another.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:34 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by truckdoug
thats rad, tell us more! how are you altering the stuff you read and write to the chip?
Hex editor
Can easily change Vin etc
More complicated stuff is doing segment swaps with hex between different OS #
I just play around with it a little that way, after some other people taught me a little bit about it.
Otherwise I use hptuners, I just use hex for stuff hpt doesn't let me do.
I now have a 1994 camaro 24x LT1 Flex fuel p59 6 speed setup with everything including reverse lockout, AC, and fuel content sensor all working flawlessly I am even using the shift light settings built into the manual transmission segment on the p59.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteS160
Let me work backwards on your questions.

For your harness check out lt1swap.com they have every thing you need to know about reworking a harness and how to hook everything up. And the information is free. They have a Facebook page and Youtube channel as well with video guides that walk you though the process if the written guides are not enough for you.

Your choice of transmission is going to cost you a bit of extra cash. The Th400 use's a gear drive speed output to a cable as does your instrument cluster. Your going to need to get a vehicle speed signal from the trans into the Pcm. There is a company called "dakota digital" that makes the adapter for doing this type of swap. They have adapters that can go from a 4l60E to cable drive or go from cable drive to a digital signal while retaining your factory cable drive dash. I know one way is a LOT cheaper then the other but I don't recall of the top of my head what version was cheaper.

Do your self a favor and pick up a 411 Pcm out of an 01 or 02 Silverado that's drive by cable throttle. The OS will need very little changed to make it work in a swap(with a stock engine) and your odds the OS it will have on it will already have XDF support for tuning are much better then if you use a 99 or 00 pcm. Stay away from the 2003+ pcm's as we have VERY limited support for them right now.

We are currently only in the reading stages of reading the pcm, to tune the engine you will need to be able to write back to the pcm. If your lucky and the Pcm you get already has Xdf support you won't need to mess with swapping the OS so being able to write the calibration sections needed for tuning won't be too far out once we release the read-only version.

To be able to do all of this yourself using our tool it's gonna be a couple of months still(hopefully while it's still summer) but I can't give you an exact time frame as to when the tool will be stable for consumer type use. So depending on the time frame of your project what we are working on will be able to do what you need it's just going to be a matter of how soon you plan on doing this.

As for the tuning it self, it will be very similar to what would be done using Hp Tuners or Efi live. Things look a bit different but we are following the same format as the commercial tools for tuning definitions for naming and table Id's so people don't get confused. If your using a guide that said in table 4403 do X, you will be able to find the same table in Tuner Pro using our Xdf's with out much trouble. As people become more familiar with TunerPro and our Xdf's I'm sure guides and walk thoughts will start popping up all over the place.
cheap solution to the speedo output is a VSS from a 90s small bodied cutlass ciera . Its cable driven so can go inline with the exsisting cable and speedo but will send out a PWM signal. IIRC its about 1800PPM. another source is JTR(Jags that run)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by i420tom
I am interested in this to replace my USB BDM JTAG setup for the p01 and p59.
I have been disassembling and soldering wires to achieve reading and writing p01 and p59 with Intel flash like the ab28f800 ab28f400 and even came across a p59 with an AMD flash chip am29f800.
This bdm process was a step up from desoldering the flash and using a chip programmer. I hope I can go anther step up and not have to disassemble and solder wires on to pcms with this project.
I'll add to this.....it should be in it's own thread and I've tried to create one here before but the pictures are too large for the forum to accept and just posting a zip file with a HOW-TO that requires soldering on a Pcm pcb wasn't something I was comfortable doing.

I had a number of people asking about how to "Fix" a bricked pcm so I sat down one night and did a basic write up how to install and use the UBD BDM......I made sure I took really high resolution pictures on the Pcm and put some clear labeling in the pics so there was no confusion where things go.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19dK...?usp=drive_web

If your not sure how to work on a PCB then do your self a favor and forget you read this. I take no responsibility for any damage done if someone screws up a pcm attempting this.

If you think you have the skills to do this...then enjoy. Read times are about 15 seconds and FULL write is around 20 seconds.

If you use some common sense you can figure out how to make this work in vehicle. I've done it with one permanently mounted in a pcm and it lived there for months before I took the pcm back out for bench use. Just be aware this is not intended to be a portable method for flashing, once you install the header I'd suggest leaving it, you can remove the BDM itself from the pcm but I would suggest leaving the header attached.

Once the file has been read you can use Tuner Pro to open the file if there is an Xdf that supports the OS. If your hardcore you can do it in a hex editor but you'd better know what your doing.

Once the BDM is installed correctly and you know it works.....you can flash ANYTHING you want on the pcm and not have to worry about being able to recover it. It's as simple as flashing the chip again to to return the pcm to working order.

I've bricked pcm's in ways you can't even begin to imagine and unless you physically damage the hardware and that is possible if your getting wild making changes in the bin file. For an average person that's decent with soldering installing this should take around 15 minutes. If you do this type of work every day your looking at a couple of minutes tops to be up and running.

Enjoy........
Old 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM
9 Second Club

I've got my cable now, is there any software anyone can send me to start testing reading and/or writing? I don't care if it's glitch or slow.
Feel free to pm me!
Thanks

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)