PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I only buy known name brands on Amazon. No bad luck yet.....
Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

Antus just posted over on pcmhacking.net that he got the AllPro to read a PCM at 4x, in 6 minutes.

Forget the clones, you can buy the AllPro direct from the guy who designed it.

Edit: But unless you are OK with reflashing the firmware yourself, wait until Antus' fixes get incorporated into the shipping devices. Probably won't take more than a week or two.

Last edited by NSFW; 05-29-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

allpro only available in the kit form?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

There's a USB version that's plug and play.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I only buy known name brands on Amazon. No bad luck yet.....
check this out. i got a fake logitech 920 recently. looked identical to a real one from best buy. only when you plugged it in and it tried to upload malware and took potato quality video would you know it was a knock off.

​​​​​​https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/31/...nterfeit-fake/
Old 06-01-2018, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AllPro it is. I can wait til every shop is running this software and no more “credits” nonsense and hacked websites and lost archives. You guys have done an amazing thing here.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:53 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
AllPro it is. I can wait til every shop is running this software and no more “credits” nonsense and hacked websites and lost archives. You guys have done an amazing thing here.
I hate to break it to you but coming up with an opensource flashing tool is about 15 years late to the party and lacking pretty much everything else that you get in a complete tuning package that actually costs money. It's not going to replace any shop's tuning suite that's for sure. I commend the original poster(s) here on their work but let's not pretend this is going to compete in any way with HP Tuners, EFI Live, etc.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSFW
No ****, Sherlock.
You didn't quote anybody but are you talking to me? Because my response was directed at 8.Lug's comments that I quoted that are quite ridiculous.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

My bad. I didn't see what you were responding to.

You're not wrong.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NicD
I hate to break it to you but coming up with an opensource flashing tool is about 15 years late to the party and lacking pretty much everything else that you get in a complete tuning package that actually costs money. It's not going to replace any shop's tuning suite that's for sure. I commend the original poster(s) here on their work but let's not pretend this is going to compete in any way with HP Tuners, EFI Live, etc.
You say that as if all the "tuning" shops have even been around for 15 years. I hate to break it to YOU, but most of these guys are not gonna be around in another 15 years.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

In the Subaru world, open source and commercial tools coexist. Or did for a while, I haven't paid attention for a few years. DIY tuners lean toward the open source stuff, check-writers lean toward the commercial tools.

I think it's going to take a long time for GM open source to be a viable alternative for more than just hard core DIY tuners though. Finding all of the tables we need is basically going to require finding a lot needles in a lot of haystacks. Some of that work has been done for some of the tables in some of the OSes, so it's not like we're starting from scratch.... But I don't even know what we don't have.

Last edited by NSFW; 06-02-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
This. And if you dont see that as 100% truth, you're a fool.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Teching In

I'm not sure if these are of any help or use but I saw them on a facebook page and wanted to pass them along. Anything to help see this this come to life!! you guys are doing an awesome job!
Attached Files
File Type: txt
E38 Checksum.txt (1.2 KB, 407 views)
File Type: doc
GM seedkey.doc (59.0 KB, 2569 views)
Old 06-02-2018, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Which Facebook page? Sounds like my kind of people.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Believe it or not i found it on "HP Tuners troubleshooting & Tips" page. I saw it was for GEN IV so that was even more exciting! Hopefully it's of some use. I'm not even 100% sure what they are.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

The checksum file shows how to calculate the checksum for a firmware image (aka "BIN file"). The checksum is a value that the PCM uses to determine if the firmware is valid or corrupted, so if you change the data or the code, and you don't update the checksum, the PCM won't be happy. So, software that lets you tune your car needs to update the checksum when it writes out the modified image file. That isn't strictly necessary for the apps that we're working on now, because we're just going to be copying stuff to and from the PCM, but once we get that working we'll need other tools to actually make changes, and that's where the checksum stuff becomes necessary. I've barely started to look into that stuff, but I think Antus already implemented a checksum update for TunerPro.

The seed-key file shows how to "unlock" a PCM that has a factory tune. You need to unlock it before you can write new firmware to it. That will be useful. Right now we can unlock some PCMs but not all... I'm not even sure which models/years we support and which we don't, but we'll start to find out when the app stabilizes enough for people to try it. The info in that document will help a lot. Someone posted the same thing on pcmhacking.net a little while ago, not sure if it was the original author or just someone who found it elsewhere.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this a good book to learn more about these PCM’s? I’ve bought so many books over the years that were full of inaccuracies that I simply gave up, but I feel like you guys are in a fairly unique place to legitimately know if this is **** or not.

https://www.cartechbooks.com/gm-ls-s...m_campaign=diy
Old 06-04-2018, 10:34 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
You say that as if all the "tuning" shops have even been around for 15 years. I hate to break it to YOU, but most of these guys are not gonna be around in another 15 years.
I neither commented on the amount of time that any tuning shop has been around nor if they are going to be around in 15 years. It was in response to how long we've been able to tune the LS1 PCM which was around 2002 when LS1 Edit first became available. Although yes I was there and was beta testing LS1 Edit at the time with Ken Kelly from Carputing.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Teching In

This was an interesting read for me tonight so I'll share a few random thoughts. I was provoked to write this by those above that posted that the an alternative solution would never happen.

I know CAN. I know DBCs. I am an electrical engineer. I don't really know much software other than Labview. I work for a large vehicle oem in the small town of Oshkosh. I won't say who but you can probably figure it out. I'm probably not smart enough to do it all on my own, but I'm not dumb.

I own and have used HPtuners. I've thought to myself. There has to be a cheaper way.

So about a year ago I started looking into what it would take to tune cheaper.

I took a few CAN traces while using my Hptuners and communicating with a PCM and found the VIN, PCM Serial, OS values, GM Seed, GM Key and a few other things. I created a Labview program using multiple CAN tools to read and write that would be the middle man between the PCM and the HPtuners tool. This program forwarded all messages and simply changed the VIN and serial to a vehicle that I had already had unlocked. When I did this I was able to save the tune and it appeared to be unlocked. HPTuners "thought" the VCM I read was a licensed vehicle. I could make changes to the tune and save it. I pretty much stopped there. The next step was to write to the PCM. I saw a squirrel and lost interest, I have a billion other projects and ideas rattling around.

The CAN tools I used were expensive, but they don't need to be. I did recently purchase a comma.ai panda (look into it, interesting stuff) and started to teach myself python. FWIW the panda code is all open source as well. The panda has 2 CAN lines and is $100. Looks very reasonable priced for what it can do.

I am not 100% following what you guys are doing but it does sound interesting. Finding tables should't be too difficult. Simply use a tool that already works and write all the values in a specific table to a specific sequence of numbers. Just reverse engineer what has already been reverse engineered.

Another thought was to create a program that wrote a new VIN/Serial/OS or whatever to the PCM and then a middle man tool wouldn't be needed. I am not 100% sure this would work but I wouldn't rule it out... If this could be done this tool could possibly be used to duplicate PCMs easier.

I admit I have a lot to learn but could maybe add some value to this. WooHooo. This was my 8th post in 12 years. How long until I'm no longer a newb?

Last edited by kmkommes; 06-04-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I would say you are onto something. And after figuring out all the above stuff you did, I would ALSO say you are no longer a newb!

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)