Sponsored by:

LS3 E-Rod vs Crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 E-Rod vs Crate motor

Hi,

I am looking to build a kit car and use an LS3 engine. I like to know the difference in engine controllers with regard to OBD emissions testing.

Any information on what emissions test an LS3 crate or E-Rod could pass would be greatly appreciated.

The rule for a kit car in NJ is that they take the emission standard that the engine was built for(I.e. an LS3 would be 2007-2013) and that is the year of emissions standards it has to pass. Any idea if an LS3 crate motor and or an LS3 E-Rod motor would pass this type of test. I noticed the engine controller for the E-rod has 4 o2 sensors while the crate motor has only two. Where the 2nd set of o2 sensors go after the first cat.

Anyway, any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JK
Old 03-10-2018, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

eROD, is designed specific for retrofit swaps and it comes with cert carlibration paperwork for your state inspector. I’ve hear it’s the easiest route. With the eROD you may not have to have the specific year fuel tank, LDP pump etc. Ask your state inspector district manager.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Easiest solution would be to move VERY far away from Jersey lol
Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
Easiest solution would be to move VERY far away from Jersey lol
LOL, I could always do an out of state registration but would prefer not to do that. DMV has been really helpful from the safety inspection standpoint, I’ll definitely speak with them about engine specifics and what would or would not fly. Just figured maybe someone on the forum has done this before.

I can always go with a build up of an old engine block from 1969 and not deal with any emissions but rather have a more modern engine. Funny how they make it easy to run a non-smog engine with no cats but when you try to use something more environmentally friendly it gets very complicated.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 2,368 Posts

Interesting! In Calif. you may not use an engine older than the car it's going into. We don't smog cars earlier than 1975.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Interesting! In Calif. you may not use an engine older than the car it's going into. We don't smog cars earlier than 1975.
Actually in California you don’t have to pass emissions on Kit cars/specially constructed vehicles with a law called SB100 so it’s much easier than NJ.