PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Gen 4 LMG - Failure to start (VATS maybe?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018 | 09:02 AM
Teching In

Default Gen 4 LMG - Failure to start (VATS maybe?)

I am working on putting a 5.3 LMG with a 6L80 out of a 2012 Tahoe into a 1954 Chevy Pickup with a 78mm turbo.

I got a PSI Conversion HAR-1073 wiring harness and have connected everything except the O2 sensors, MAF, & Brake TCC switch. Also, there is no water in the radiator yet...

I have a toggle switch for each of the:
-Fuel Pump (58psi)
-Key on and cranking wire

I was able to download the tune with HP tuners(newest version). Once downloaded, I went to the "OS" tab and disabled VATs 1 & 2.

I wrote the tune back and tried to start it... nothing...

I've got the turbo and most of the exhaust off right now, just want to make sure it can idle before I put the turbo back on and button everything up.

Any recommendations?
Old 03-30-2018 | 09:23 AM
Teching In

Here is a link to the base tune(nothing done to it)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F2s...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by 68FirebirdAP; 03-30-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2018 | 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Link??????
Old 03-30-2018 | 09:35 AM
Teching In

My bad...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F2s...ew?usp=sharing
Old 03-30-2018 | 04:42 PM
Teching In

So I hooked up the MAF & O2 sensors (just in open air), I lowered the fuel pressure to 48psi, and I hooked up my OBD reader. I got the following codes:

P0443 "Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit"

P0449 "Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction"

P0452 "EVAP Pressure Sensor/Switch Low"

P0463 When the powertrain control module (PCM) gets an input signal from the fuel gauge (or fuel level sensor) that is higher than the actual level of fuel in the gas tank, it will store a P0463 code, and the Check Engine Light will turn on.

P057C Brake pedal position (BPP) sensor - circuit low

U0109 Lost Communication with Fuel Pump Control Module (FPCM)

P0641 "Sensor Reference Voltage A Circuit Open"

P2123 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch D Circuit High Input

P2127 "Throttle Position Sensor E Circuit Low Input"

P2128 "Throttle Position Sensor/Switch E Circuit High Input"

The first 6 are no surprise and I wouldn't expect they would cause a starting issue. The last 4 concern me.. I checked the throttle blade and it actuates properly.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old 03-31-2018 | 08:58 PM
Teching In

Does it turn over but not start? Even with VATS it should run for a few seconds and die.
Old 03-31-2018 | 09:45 PM
Teching In

It spins over, but doesn't start. From what I can tell, it isn't getting fuel it spark...
Old 04-01-2018 | 07:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 68FirebirdAP
It spins over, but doesn't start. From what I can tell, it isn't getting fuel it spark...
I'd check to see what it's not getting. Even with a pump run code it should fire the injectors.
Old 04-01-2018 | 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

How long has the motor been sitting without having been run? I ask because we had a similar problem with my sons truck when we rebuilt his engine. The fuel injectors sat for almost 2 months while his engine was at the machine shop, and then the time needed to put it all back together. When we finally got the engine in it would turn over, but NOT run. We disabled VATS-same thing.. Turns out the crappy corn-fuel dried out and literally froze the injector pintle valves up and they would not flow any fuel.

Try this as a test-take a squirt bottle filled with fresh gas and squirt some directly into the intake through the throttle body.. Now turn the motor over and see if it starts. If it starts, runs for a few seconds and dies, you KNOW FOR SURE that you have a fuel supply issue.

On my sons truck after putting fuel into the T/B and it would run, we then lifted one bank of injectors up just high enough to see if they were squirting fuel and I had my son crank on the engine and NOTHING was coming out of the injectors. After removing them, cleaning them with carb cleaner, blowing compressed air through them while energizing them we were able to get them working and the engine now runs perfectly.

Let us know what you find that fixes it.
Old 04-02-2018 | 02:47 PM
Teching In

Kawabuggy,

I tried spraying some starter fluid into the throttle body yesterday and spinning it over and got nothing. I thought the same thing about the injectors (they might also be bad, but its not sparking for sure...).
Old 04-02-2018 | 04:23 PM
Teching In

Kawabuggy,

I spoke too soon... I'd swear I sprayed starter fluid in it and got nothing on Friday..., but I tried it again (very liberal spray) and it roared to life for a half a second...

I bought the engine right around 2 years ago... now to clean the injectors...