Sponsored by:

Dead gas pedal trying to drive when cold started and not warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Question Dead gas pedal trying to drive when cold started and not warmed up

6.0 engine, rear mount 76mm turbo, 80# injectors, 3 bar OLSD tune

Once warmed up a few minutes, it still seems slightly LEAN, (at tip-in) but at cold start, and limited coolant temp, if trying to driveaway after just a minute or less, it acts as if the car is not getting fuel...it's that lean. Like it won't take any fuel...or there isn't anywhere to get it from.

Never really noticed it before, but I also (almost) always let it warm up a few minutes before attempting to drive off.

What parameters should I LOG to help diagnose this?

I attached a copy of tune, but wondering if I do a cold start log, then what specific parameters should I include, along with the basic stuff?

Last edited by rel3rd; 02-06-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had that happen in my old 2000 Suburban when the O2 sensor wasn't warm yet, stumbled and farted etc for the first minute, but it did throw a code....
Old 04-03-2018, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry. I should have mentioned.

Car has no narrowband O2 sensors. Just a wideband
Old 04-03-2018, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Once cold started it should be in open loop. Afr will be richer to help with warm up. Look in the open loop tables for these settings. Once around 160* ecm will convert to closed loop but u dont run o2s so your full open loop.

Im betting at idle its sitting around 60kpa map/VE.
Once moving your map changes and so does VE. Basicly meaning u need more tuning for drivability. If its stumbling its probably going lean with not enough fuel on a cold engine. Best to let it fully warm up.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Best to add those o2s back in as well. They will help afr troubles tramendously!! Good luck!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the reply. I'm sloooowwwwly, but surely, getting it's streetability back into a useable tune.

Evidently, the car (built & dynotuned down in Texas, I am in MD.) was tuned just for WOT, and very dependent on the methanol. I have made the non-methanol numbers a bit richer, so if I have a meth injection failure, it is still "safe". It was in the neighborhood of 13:1 with meth getting it high 11:1 afr. Now it's mid to high 11:1, with the meth (at 8 psi or more) forcing it into the high 10:1 afr ratio. I know it's killing power, but rather not swap head gaskets every few few weeks, lol.

The car had no wideband until I installed one.

The car also didn't have (still doesn't) it's upstream narrowband O2 sensors, or even a functional IAT sensor. It was zip-tied to something under the hood, so measured under hood temp, not intake air temp.

I used a later model style screw in IAT, into the charge pipe between the methanol injection nozzle and the throttle body, which seems to have helped.

The old (previously installed) Duramax MAP sensor's numbers were all over the place, so I've recently swapped in a new EFISource 3 bar sensor, which meant all new calibration numbers, and some tune changes, yet again.

I also have an 8 foot wideband extension harness coming, which will allow me to swap the wideband to AFTER the turbo (already welded in the bung), since I have a REAR MOUNT TURBO and a 4 inch "downpipe". Right now, the wideband sensor is installed in the original left side narrowband location...

Probably a dumb question, but re-adding the narrowband sensors, should/would I simply need to adjust the open/closed loop enable temp? It looks like that's the only thing changed, set to 285* right now.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by rel3rd

Probably a dumb question, but re-adding the narrowband sensors, should/would I simply need to adjust the open/closed loop enable temp? It looks like that's the only thing changed, set to 285* right now.

Anybody?