Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Suburban Vats

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Suburban Vats

Hi All,

Not sure if this is in the right place or not as I'm working on this for someone else. I have a 99 suburban that someone has removed the Vats system from. The TDM was removed from under the dash, and the connector was unplugged from the key tumbler. The guy i'm working on it for said that he had that removed by a mechanic and the suburban ran fine for about 6 months. Then he didn't drive it for a while, the battery went dead, and when he put a new batter on it, it wouldn't start. It cranks, fires, runs for about a second and then dies. I can pour gas in the intake and it will run until that is gone and then dies.

I bought a module to bypass Vats at the PCM, but on this rig I can't find a fuel enable wire on the PCM pinout, so i'm not sure if it has one? It also has no BCM. Just a PCM under the hood with 4 connectors (black, clear, red, blue). I'm assuming Vats or Passkey is keeping this vehicle from starting via disabling something, but i'm not sure what that would be since all the Vats stuff is gone. I'm also confused by why it ran before and then stopped. If the mechanic shut off the Vats via a tuner, would it turn back on if the battery was dead for a period of time?

At this point I just need to get it running, and i'd rather not install any of the missing Vats components back in, especially since it ran without them. I did check the fuel pump, it is running, and I took the line off the filter and i'm getting plenty of fuel coming out, so i'm guessing that the pump is good (I know it could still be bad pressure wise). This issue just seems to point towards the security system, since this is exactly what they do when the fail.

Does this suburban have a fuel enable wire?? If so where is it located (color)? Is there another way to bypass the system (possibly what he prior mechanic did)?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Only way on a 99 is disable it is in the pcm. We do tons of them for dealerships and other shops, there are no parts left to fix vats on a 99.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked on one that ran like that, after swapping everything else twice, I replaced the gauge cluster and it has ran fine since...