Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for tuning Gurus regarding O2's and open/closed loop

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for tuning Gurus regarding O2's and open/closed loop

I'm having the common issue with the P0133 and P0153 codes being triggered by my LT headers. If I set the codes to option 3 in HPT, will the car still run in closed loop if the computer senses an issue with O2 slow response times?
Old 06-07-2018, 12:26 AM
Launching!

you should be adjusting the closed loop proportional data so the delayed response doesn't cause DTC to activate.

the car should stay in closed loop if you select no MIL light and untick the SES box. your scanner will confirm this
Old 06-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks, will do.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Hes correct along with trial and error of the switch point, which i personally bumped to .450 on my own car up from 3##. Bascially comes down to the car drowing the o2 sensor with fuel. They get "stuck" and no longer swing. I also tend to remove any idling timing increases most tuners will throw in. Stock timing to keep the exhaust hotter.

i cut the fuel on mine by roughly half along with increasing the time frame. Doesnt take much fuel to trigger a swing on a LT car probably due to the exhaust not nearly being as hot as it once was when you had manifolds.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TPIZ92
Hes correct along with trial and error of the switch point, which i personally bumped to .450 on my own car up from 3##. Bascially comes down to the car drowing the o2 sensor with fuel. They get "stuck" and no longer swing. I also tend to remove any idling timing increases most tuners will throw in. Stock timing to keep the exhaust hotter.

i cut the fuel on mine by roughly half along with increasing the time frame. Doesnt take much fuel to trigger a swing on a LT car probably due to the exhaust not nearly being as hot as it once was when you had manifolds.
I was wondering about the idle fueling being too fat and the the timing being advanced. With longtubes it makes sense that you want the idle hotter because the O2's are so far back. I noticed once I got my car back from tuning that it took much longer to warm up. Thanks for the help. Now I have an idea of what to tell the tuner when I take it back for touch ups.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Run it in open loop at idle and closed loop once throttle is applied. This will get around a lot of issues, especially if you have a big cam.

The main issue with LTs is they move the O2s back. Set the switch point to 450 and set PE EQ Ratio upto 1200 RPM to 1 and TPS% to 0 in those columns. And set your EQ Ratio in Open Loop to 1 over 158 degrees. Then you can use your VE table or MAF transfer table to run leaner than stoich for a more stable idle.

Once throttle is applied, it shuts off OL and goes back CL based on the PE TPS% table.

Quick Reply: Question for tuning Gurus regarding O2's and open/closed loop