Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some ideas on direction for surge after VE/RAF/IAC

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some ideas on direction for surge after VE/RAF/IAC

GUys I know there are tons of tips on hear about Surge,Tune and not looking to rehash all that great info. Maybe some guidance and hopefully lessons learn from others.

LS1 TA Turbo BTR Stage 2 cam 2deg overlap, Walpro 450, 80lb injector.

I fought mechanical issues after my build then went to a tuner and fought him and some shady stuff. Then back to doing it myself.
Vac leaks fixed, (wastegate ports was big item. I didn't plug my 4 port so #2 was bleeding from the manifold boost signal)
Fuel, went round and round and added a AFPR boost signal and that was an ahaha moment. My tuner didnt want to scale the IFR and we could not get it down to 58lbs exactly.

I scaled it to 65psi at idle and the car ran well thru WOT, I adjusted VE and timing but WB was still lean at idle and found that tuner still had some CL stuff enabled. I turned that off and it is responding 0-3% first go round. I am working the rest if the table now with cruise driving but no knock and feels smooth and starts up and runs and idles great.

I still have surge thought at idle. Now that things are running well and probably rich at idle (13.8-14.2 pump 93) it seems a little worse. I tried the RAF and it doesn't seem to do much and always seems to ask for more air. In park its around 11 and 13 ain gear, idle at 875rpm and I tried timing from 22-24 degrees.

Idle is stable just see saw between 20-26 like a pattern. IAC sits at 138-142 when it does this and it tends to sit right at 58-62KPA
VE at those cells are 55=50 60=54 and it is usually calling for 50 at 0% but 60 seems to add most of the time sometimes subtract.

I locked timing at 23 degrees and had same effect. When fans kick on it stumbles then recovers but will go on the same 5 degree swing for minute then dip rpm a little more and repeat.
I reset TPS/IAC as well.

I am going to do the VE in that 55-60 at same number or maybe 50 and 51 to make sure it is not swing thru that small range?
is 23 too hight? too low at idle? both tables are the same? I saw the stock tune had drive idle at 28!!!

IAC also move but seem high. Once I hit 50% or more throttle my IAC max out, is this bad or causing lean/knock too? my tps is at 0.51v and reads 0% throttle. Stock TB

Quick Reply: Some ideas on direction for surge after VE/RAF/IAC