PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LQ9 Build stumble at half throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Should I go ahead and get the new MPVI2 (without the Pro support) or find the older MPVI Pro?

I understand the new MPVI2 has the new 4.x software, HP Tuning School (during chat) said for anyone to read my tune file they'll need the 4.x software. This part concerns me because most people are still using the older MPVI units.

I have found the older (new) MPVI Pro 6022 with Ford credits (which I can't use) for $500... this unit should be the same as all HP Pro's? I know HP does not support the older units and probably not warranty them if there is an issue

Do I need "wideband" logging to see what is going on or will it have enough data from the OEM narrowbands to upload a usable file? (I do have a AEM wideband for use when it is supported in the MPVI2 Pro version). It's just my luck to be between the units being updated and me being a total noob doesn't help lol.

Also could this be an issue...
Originally Posted by Frost
Thanks; the PCM is on it's way back to you. At some point you will likely want this gone over in person. After I tuned it, I used a tool to force the VIN to your V6 VIN that matches the truck. This will be a problem for many tuners in the future. Print or forward this email to them and it will explain and tell them how to be able to work with this. Normally, if a controller like yours is setup for a 5.3/6.0/whatever, it CANNOT contain a V6 VIN since there is no V8 matching software for this VIN, only V6. You cannot flash the controller with a file from a V8 that has a V6 VIN in it, but what *I* can do is to to flash it with the V8 VIn and tune it, and THEN use a different tool to change the VIN after the fact. That let's me match it up to your truck.

So what's gonna happen is when your buddy/local shop with HPTuner's READ your ECM to start in-person tuning, it's going to give them an error after they read that will say" WARNING: VIN/OS Pair Mismatch detected, re-flashing will be disabled for this file". That means what it sounds like... they read it out, but they can't change it at all (even on their laptop, much less to actually flash) because of the VIN we are using. One the file is read out, you will open the VIN tool in HPTuner's and CHANGE THE VIN ON THE FILE to 1GCEK19TXYE27**** and then SAVE the file.

That VIN matches the actual software now being used on your truck for this motor/trans combo. Once they change this, they will be able to re-flash and tune-away on your file. If they do not have the secondary tools to put it BACK to that matching V6 VIN when it's done, and you want it done, we will do it for you/them for this instance for NO CHARGE other than shipping and handling back and forth. So you can take it somewhere and have it dyno/street (whatever, just use a wideband) tuned, and if they can't get the VIN back, you flip it back to us and I'll fix that and get it right back out. If your tuner uses many different tools, they will be able to work around this, but HPTuner's (the popular tuning choice) will not allow the mixed VIN.

Last edited by RedXray; 07-09-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard for me to say for sure on that one. I'm sure once the MPVI2 has been out long enough that the PRO support is available it will be all the good stuff about the old unit, and then some.

I have the older MPVI unit but updated to the newest software update 4.0.12. Once you buy the HPTuners software you get all the software updates for free so no problem there.

Going forward the credits will be universal is my understanding which is certainly nice.

I will refer to wideband oxygen sensors and narrow band oxygen sensors from here on out as WBO2/WB and NBO2/NB; respectively.

You can use fuel trims and NB02s in fact a lot of people do it that way, I personally think any tuner worth their salt will use a WBO2. Not to mention it's just easier that way. The thing about a NBO2 is that will only tell you if you are rich or lean, you won't be able to ascertain exactly how much. The WB will give you that information. Reason is that a NB is for factory PCMs to trim fuel and they only have a voltage range from 0-1V IIRC... A WB on the other hand goes up from 0-5V to give you the full spectrum of data for what's going on.

Cool thing about HPTuners is once you get your wideband logging in the datastream is that fueling corrections are SUPER easy. Literally copy and paste and you're done. You like the simplicity of adjusting fueling with a carb??? Well once you get a little experience with this stuff you can adjust fueling without even opening the hood or picking up a screwdriver. It's nice.

I can't speak from experience on the VIN matter but it looks like it is doable in HPTuners. They have incorporated the Change VIN Wizard which will allow you to fix that. I honestly don't understand that whole deal he's talking about. My truck is a 90 Silverado and the PCM is from a 2002 Firebird which I believe everytime I connect the scanner to it, it shows the VIN of the FIREBIRD rather than the actual truck it's residing in. I can't see any reason to change it to match the truck because I simply don't care. I'm sure he had his reasons for doing it, liabilities maybe???
Old 07-10-2018, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for your helpful advice!
I went ahead and bought (ebay) a new MPVI HP Pro version with the (useless) Ford credits. After looking for two days, It's clear I wasn't going to find one with GM credits. What steered me to the older MPVI is after a lot of research, to be able to wideband data log with the new $299 unit you have to upgrade to the $249 Pro software (when available)... I understood this.

The deciding factor was in order to use my AEM wideband, I would also have to buy (when available) the docking module to wire the analog AME wires to... wonder how much that dam thing will cost ... then I'd have to buy the credits anyways.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're welcome. Glad to help when/where I can.

I'm sure the new MPVI2 will be great once it get's going. But I'm certainly in no rush to get one myself as long as I have the MPVI to keep me occupied. You can likely find someone in your area with a stockish Ford that will pay you to do a simple tune like turn off a few error codes etc. and get some monetary return on the Ford credits.

I'm also running an AEM wideband in mine.

You'll need a decent laptop if you don't already have one.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElQueFør
I can't speak from experience on the VIN matter but it looks like it is doable in HPTuners. They have incorporated the Change VIN Wizard which will allow you to fix that. I honestly don't understand that whole deal he's talking about. My truck is a 90 Silverado and the PCM is from a 2002 Firebird which I believe everytime I connect the scanner to it, it shows the VIN of the FIREBIRD rather than the actual truck it's residing in. I can't see any reason to change it to match the truck because I simply don't care. I'm sure he had his reasons for doing it, liabilities maybe???
My guess on the VIN change would be for the states that have emission inspections and the conflicting VIN numbers would fail the test. I live in SC where there are no inspections, kinda wish I'd of known beforehand and had Steve just leave the VIN as is.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep that's probably it. You have a laptop?
Old 07-10-2018, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll need a decent laptop if you don't already have one.
I cobbled together some parts laying around ( CompTIA A+ certification years ago) and got an old Dell going with a 2 GHz cpu and 4 GB of ram that meets the minimum HP Tuner requirements. I also have a 25ft USB extension to reach a nice desktop in the shop if needed.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well this should be right up your alley then. That computer will work, but it'll probably be on the slow end haha. Laptop for logging data and desktop for writing tunes. Well you could actually log with the MPVI standalone function since you got the PRO version. I think anyways, mine is like that but I always log with a laptop anyways.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, it sounds like you got everything figure out, but if you have any other questions feel free to reach out to support@hptuners.com
Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
Should I go ahead and get the new MPVI2 (without the Pro support) or find the older MPVI Pro?

I understand the new MPVI2 has the new 4.x software, HP Tuning School (during chat) said for anyone to read my tune file they'll need the 4.x software. This part concerns me because most people are still using the older MPVI units.

I have found the older (new) MPVI Pro 6022 with Ford credits (which I can't use) for $500... this unit should be the same as all HP Pro's? I know HP does not support the older units and probably not warranty them if there is an issue

Do I need "wideband" logging to see what is going on or will it have enough data from the OEM narrowbands to upload a usable file? (I do have a AEM wideband for use when it is supported in the MPVI2 Pro version). It's just my luck to be between the units being updated and me being a total noob doesn't help lol.

Also could this be an issue...

just make sure to refer back to Frost's email when you 1st read and want to flash your tune to the pcm. HP Tuners liscences the vin in the pcm to their interface. If the vehicle which pcm your using never had a v8 ever from the factory HP Tuners will not let you change the vin to it. So just follow that email and then dont even worry about putting that vin back in...

on your o2 sensors.... your bank 2 is not registering? Which o2's are you using? There are 2 types... case grounded and isolated grounded. They are wired different. They must match your operating system or will not work?

also you do not need to buy the pro. You can buy the standard and wire in your WB into the pcm thru the egr or ac pressure sensor pins... Save some $$$ there.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jayyk31
just make sure to refer back to Frost's email when you 1st read and want to flash your tune to the pcm. HP Tuners liscences the vin in the pcm to their interface. If the vehicle which pcm your using never had a v8 ever from the factory HP Tuners will not let you change the vin to it. So just follow that email and then dont even worry about putting that vin back in...

on your o2 sensors.... your bank 2 is not registering? Which o2's are you using? There are 2 types... case grounded and isolated grounded. They are wired different. They must match your operating system or will not work?

also you do not need to buy the pro. You can buy the standard and wire in your WB into the pcm thru the egr or ac pressure sensor pins... Save some $$$ there.
So just change to the V8 VIN, register the truck, then disregard the V6 VIN?

I replaced the OEM o2's with Denso's that have the flat 4 wire plug. Running there was zero change compared to the original upstream o2's. The rear o2's have been deleted for over 10 years (o2 simulators), they have the square plug so there's no way to mix them up. The MAC Tools hand held code reader shows "Bank 1 Sensor 1" but with "Bank 2 sensor 1" it says "not supported"??? I've tested the voltage to that o2 and it's getting 12+ volts and ground with the key in the on position. I've back probed the wires on each side of the connector and I'm getting continuity, so the connector itself isn't the issue. Can't find any burnt or skinned wires on the harness.

Tuesday I bought a "new" older version MPVI Pro (with ford credits) from ebay. Just checked the UPS tracking number and I'll be darned... it will be here today (Wednesday). Pretty fast shipping for ebay, even faster than Amazon! I'll hook up the AEM and try to log some data after I figure out HPT's credit purchase fiasco and my VIN swap.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HP Tuners arrived today... I was successful changing the VIN without loosing credits. The bad news is did a brief scan while sitting in the garage (non wideband) and neither o2 sensor is showing on the scan. Do they have to reach a certain temp before registering data? I need to run to Walmart shortly and I'll try out the standalone data logging. New laptop battery arrives tomorrow so I can do some wideband logging. I'll attach the tune and the brief start up scan in the garage.

EDIT TO ADD: When I changed the VIN and tried to write the file back to the ECM I get "Vehicle Unlicensed"... Just lost $100 of credits

I figured out how to add the o2's in the channel column. I added the o2's voltage "SAE" is this correct? I deleted the first file without the o2's and uploaded a second scan file.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Frost Tune.hpt (223.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: hpl
Second Idle.hpl (95.5 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by RedXray; 07-11-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did some logging today
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
7-12 hwy 274.hpl (816.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just browsing that log. just going to reference one point. 00.02.56.309
85KPA 1600RPM and still not in PE. its in CL commanding stoich. 85KPA regardless of RPM is what I would think meets criteria for "under load"
its commanding 14.68 your wideband reports 15.85AFR.

of course it will stumble its too lean to get up and go or produce any torque.its also why youre logging knock retard.

once you're in PE finally you're commanding a very rich AFR from 11.25 up to 10.70 in the 4800rpm cell. your wideband reports WOT AFRs of ball park 10.0:1 AFR. with your comp that will be pre igniting or dieseling also causing you your KR. lean it up with the MAF to atleast at 12.0 before you pound the big end bearings out.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedXray
Did some logging today
We need to get you setup where you're logging some usable data instead of bits and pieces. Try these files I'm sharing. You should be able to get some more data to go off.
Attached Files
File Type: xml
Chase.Channels.xml (1.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: xml
Chase1.Layout.xml (9.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Luke19901
just browsing that log. just going to reference one point. 00.02.56.309
85KPA 1600RPM and still not in PE. its in CL commanding stoich. 85KPA regardless of RPM is what I would think meets criteria for "under load"
its commanding 14.68 your wideband reports 15.85AFR.

of course it will stumble its too lean to get up and go or produce any torque.its also why youre logging knock retard.

once you're in PE finally you're commanding a very rich AFR from 11.25 up to 10.70 in the 4800rpm cell. your wideband reports WOT AFRs of ball park 10.0:1 AFR. with your comp that will be pre igniting or dieseling also causing you your KR. lean it up with the MAF to atleast at 12.0 before you pound the big end bearings out.
Thanks for looking this over Luke I should have some better scan data with EiQueFor channel lists.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We need to get you setup where you're logging some usable data instead of bits and pieces. Try these files I'm sharing. You should be able to get some more data to go off.
Wow that was exactly what I was looking for sure makes things a lot easier

Question: The wideband in the channel list has the AEM 30-4110 listed. I went in the channel list and chart display and changed it to my AEM X series 30-0300. In the chart I selected "AEM 30-(03x0,2340,5130)" instead of the AEM 30-4110 that was in your config files... is this correct or should I change it back? (see pic)

New LQ9 Build stumble at half throttle-ytpo0zs.jpg

New LQ9 Build stumble at half throttle-au4susi.jpg
Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

please log Throttle position, your issue can be easily fixed. Go to engine>fuel>power enrichment> EQ ratio (Gas) make all of the values 1.15. then flash the file, and your stumble should go away if indeed your wideband reads as low as 9 when you see that stumble. Looking at your logs, you are running very rich, and don't see any issues with any of your o2 sensors. Everything is working as it should. I would tune it for free, but if i read correctly, you changed your vin back to a v6 and I don't have unlimited v6 trucks, only v8.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Many will say that Lambda is more accurate. I for whatever reason prefer to use AFR instead. Just makes more sense in my mind.

Here's how to setup your wideband:
You'll want to right click in the channel list and go to "Add Channel". (You can also click the little gear icon with the green plus sign).

Then click on "Serial port" then "AEM" and then "AEM - AFR"

Then, close that dialog box and right click on the newly added channel and click on "Transform". Next click on " Click to insert or change".

Then expand the Oxygen sensors folder towards the bottom, and then expand the Air Fuel Ratio folder.

Finally, select your sensor from the list, hit "Yes sounds good!" and then click OK to close the dialog box.

You should now be set up.

Last edited by ElQueFør; 07-13-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by subeone
please log Throttle position, your issue can be easily fixed. Go to engine>fuel>power enrichment> EQ ratio (Gas) make all of the values 1.15. then flash the file, and your stumble should go away if indeed your wideband reads as low as 9 when you see that stumble. Looking at your logs, you are running very rich, and don't see any issues with any of your o2 sensors. Everything is working as it should. I would tune it for free, but if i read correctly, you changed your vin back to a v6 and I don't have unlimited v6 trucks, only v8.
I noticed that too. He should be logging TPS now with the layout files I gave him

Quick Reply: New LQ9 Build stumble at half throttle