Sponsored by:

Struggles to start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Struggles to start when warm

*mods are in sig*

So I have an odd issue. When the car is cold, it fires up right away. I'm talking like 1.5 seconds of cranking and we're good.

When the car is warm, it takes a bunch of cranking, and typically me giving it some gas to get it to turn over. And even then, despite me stepping on the pedal, its extremely lazy when starting (tach jumps to about 400, hesitates there, then lazily climbs to idle around 850-900).

When I brought this up to my tuner, he sort of just shrugged at me and said "IAC counts are showing full, I unno" and that was basically that.

I unfortunately don't have HPTuners yet, so I can't post my file (sorry) but I was wondering if anyone thought this was anywhere close to normal? Or if anyone has experienced this and if so, what's a good fix?

I haven't replaced the IAC, since it seems to work normally the rest of the time.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

Ask your tuner for a copy of your file - you paid the credits for it and its licensed to your vehicle. Additionally, see if he can gather some logged time using "HP Tuners" (or whatever other tool) while your engine is running from inside your PCM while your engine is suffering this problem. Post both files here and maybe somebody (not me) can offer some advice.

I like to keep a copy of my vehicle PCM operating system as a backup because nobody else can easily help you without this file to possibly put into a spare PCM.

Rick
Old 07-01-2018, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I'll get in touch with my tuner. unfortunately I moved about a month after the car was tuned, so I can't take it back to him for any logging (one of the reasons I'm getting HPTuners and wanting to get into tuning myself) but I'll see if I can get something going.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

adjust the cranking fuel at hot starts.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if applying throttle at warm crank helps its either starved for air or pig rich. given it starts cold fine I would think its not a lack of air.

if spraying some starting fluid into the intake post MAF and air filter helps more than applying peddle I would say its lean and needs more cranking fuel.

it should start warm fine with 8-10 degrees timing on crank.

start up airflow, cranking VE, cranking FA mult fuel, startup flare control, startup underspeed time, idle timing, ECT spark corrections, catalyst heating spark corrections, AFR spark corrections are areas you can investigate.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it took a long time, but I finally managed to get my hands on the tune file.

I'm very new to tuning, so I'm not sure exactly what looks good and what doesn't in terms of the fueling histograms. I am using 42# injectors for reference.

I'm thinking it's a fuel thing, since as soon as I hit flood clear levels on the gas pedal (looks like 80% throttle) it fires right up.

I just got hpt today so I'll see if I can get some logs over the next few days.

Thanks for all the help!
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
02 Camaro Tom Wong Tune.hpt (228.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by HappySalesman; 09-13-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Just an fyi i had a similar problem with hot starts problems and i thought for sure it was in the tuning. Ended being injector leaking causing the problem. Just something for you to check.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

you'll be glad you started tuning yourself. although I will say a wong's tune is gonna be pretty close in my experience.

where do you race at? Bremerton?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug
you'll be glad you started tuning yourself. although I will say a wong's tune is gonna be pretty close in my experience.

where do you race at? Bremerton?
Honestly I'm not too pleased with the tune I got from Wong. Without getting into a lot of detail I feel like he rushed me in and out and did a subpar job. One of my main reasons for buying hptuners was to fix some of the issues I've had with it. (I'd take it back to him, but I've been in Cali for the last six months lol)

As for racing, I don't do a whole lot. This car is 100% street, and will probably never see a track lol. I am looking in the next year or two to get a hardtop and converting that into a street/strip car, with emphasis on the 'strip' portion

I thought it might be a leaky injector, but figured the easiest thing would be to look at the tune first and then start pulling parts. It's done it since day 1, and the injectors I purchased were cleaned and tested right before I bought them.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to work out if it wants more or less fuel for hot start. crude way is apply throttle on crank. if that helps it wants more air or less fuel.
if it doesn't or it makes it worse it wants more fuel for warm crank and start.

use
cranking spark
start up airflow
cranking fuel
cranking VE
startup underspeed time delay

as starting point to edit

Quick Reply: Struggles to start when warm