PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Engine stand startup - fire but no idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018 | 06:07 AM
9 Second Club
10 Year Member

Default Engine stand startup - fire but no idle

I'm a keyboard tuning newb.... but trying to get the hang of it.

Using HP Tuner
2005 4.8 DBC, going to run a turbo but not plumbed on the stand.
Installed sloppy stage 2 cam, 80lb SD injectors, and 2bar map.
Harness is stock cut down by me to be stand alone.
All sensors except odb2 are plugged in

I can get the engine to fire and run for a second before rpms drop and it stalls. If I work the throttle it will run. I set base idle speed higher (1100)! And it helped a little but not enough.

Pretty sure I need to mess with fuel give the new inj but not really sure if that is the right place to start.

Note, I started with a similar veg config from the sloppy tune cabinet but the layout of my base tune has a few differences
Old 07-08-2018 | 06:10 AM
9 Second Club
10 Year Member

Should note alt is not in use either but batt is fully charged
Old 07-08-2018 | 09:49 AM
Launching!

where is your file and what are the list of mods including the fuel system.

also a log of your attempt. without them one can only guess.
Old 07-08-2018 | 11:17 AM
9 Second Club
10 Year Member

GOT IT TO IDLE!

My mods are:
2 bar map
80lb SD injectors
Elgin cam Lift: 0.585"/0.585"; Duration @ 0.050": 228°/230° 112 lobe seperation
PAC springs
** That is it until I plumb the turbo. I also have not plumbed the ODB2 or my WB. I'll get to that later.

The "fuel system" I'm using is a fuel injector cleaner kit filled with gas and pressured to ~55 pounds...

Found a SD 80 tune and used the Flow Rate data, the rest of the tune was from my stock download. Here is my current tune and log. I'll take any suggestions! I have a few things I need to figure out, one for sure is how to calibrate a 2 BAR MAP. I have been busy watching video on HP Tuners but still a big time newb at using the system. Stuff like adjusting my VE KPA scale to accommodate over 101KPA or adding Boost enriching to the PE... but I'll get there.

I wanted to get the engine to idle so that I could verify the harness was working and the engine was quickly tested. I did find my fuel rail was leaking but past that I think I think I'm all set to stuff it in the engine bay.

Again though anything you'd like to share on the tune/log would be a huge help!

Old 07-08-2018 | 11:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by epfatboy
GOT IT TO IDLE!

My mods are:
2 bar map
80lb SD injectors
Elgin cam Lift: 0.585"/0.585"; Duration @ 0.050": 228°/230° 112 lobe seperation
PAC springs
** That is it until I plumb the turbo. I also have not plumbed the ODB2 or my WB. I'll get to that later.

The "fuel system" I'm using is a fuel injector cleaner kit filled with gas and pressured to ~55 pounds...

Found a SD 80 tune and used the Flow Rate data, the rest of the tune was from my stock download. Here is my current tune and log. I'll take any suggestions! I have a few things I need to figure out, one for sure is how to calibrate a 2 BAR MAP. I have been busy watching video on HP Tuners but still a big time newb at using the system. Stuff like adjusting my VE KPA scale to accommodate over 101KPA or adding Boost enriching to the PE... but I'll get there.

I wanted to get the engine to idle so that I could verify the harness was working and the engine was quickly tested. I did find my fuel rail was leaking but past that I think I think I'm all set to stuff it in the engine bay.

Again though anything you'd like to share on the tune/log would be a huge help!

you want to run SD then apply the custom 2 bar operating system and fail the MAF correctly. the custom operating system will even scale your map sensor for 2 bar. which is as easy as changing "MAP sensor linear" from 94.43KPA to 200KPA

add some idle airflow and also start maxing out and disabling all the cat tests and airflow errors.

attached is a base file for gen 3 2 bar SD for a retro fit. 6.2 with 24x reluctor. 160lb injectors on E85.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
File Type: hpt
stock.hpt (449.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-08-2018 | 03:17 PM
9 Second Club
10 Year Member

Thanks Luke,

Not looking to do an SD tune, just have not added the O2's yet. I'll start adding idle airflow and disabling CATS, thanks for the advice.

I'm also going to look into how to validate all my sensors are operational so that I can be confident my harness is 100%
Old 07-08-2018 | 03:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by epfatboy
Thanks Luke,

Not looking to do an SD tune, just have not added the O2's yet. I'll start adding idle airflow and disabling CATS, thanks for the advice.

I'm also going to look into how to validate all my sensors are operational so that I can be confident my harness is 100%

Sorry I must have skim read your mods and saw SD at a glance assuming speed density.

those files should still allow you to reference idle airflow and settings. VE table data etc etc.

use your scanner to verify you sensors. Log the relative pid. If they’re open circuit they normally read min value. If the data recorded from the sensor is wrong you’ll see in scanner

Old 07-13-2018 | 08:21 PM
9 Second Club
10 Year Member

THANKS.

I added more air to the base idle and she fired right up and idled till I shut her down, bounced around a little so I might need a little more air but good enough for now. Also added a few more PID's to verify all were working as they should and they are. I included my tune/scan in case anyone wants to take a look.

Next up is get her in the engine bay and plumb in the Turbo so the real tuning can take place.

Quick Reply: Engine stand startup - fire but no idle