Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to make sense of Power Enrichment

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 903 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
Personally i just disable PE entirely. i never understood the need for it.

I would love to hear what everyones thoughts on the necessity of it is.

What are you talking about?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolx
The information is out there. I have included this in my training materials and classes for a long time. That doesn't mean that people pay attention or that some "professional tuners" have taken the time to learn how the systems really work for themselves. There is a LOT of village wisdom being passed around, so it's sometimes difficult to know who to believe, even from some "professional trainers".

I'm curious about your thoughts on the use of the BE table for turbo and supercharged applications. I know some guys here avoid using BE, I have found it very useful with small single turbo set ups.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
What are you talking about?
seems pretty obvious.
i disable pe entirely and didnt understand the need for it.
but after reading through this thread i realized its because ive been using the efilive COS for so long i forgot that their 3d commanded fuel vs rpm table isnt normally available.
so my input isnt really relevant in this thread, apologies.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

It's all good. Does EFILive modification replace the coolant-temp axis of the open loop fuel table with an RPM axis? Or did they add a whole new table?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Im not sure what table you mean, but the table im talking about is probably new.
here is the description of the table in the software, its for COS5 of the 12212156 os:
B3647 Commanded fuel vs RPM
This table is only available in some custom EFILive Operating systems, it allows you to define any commanded fuel.
The values in this table may be blended with the values in {B3649} "(not available in this operating system)".

See also:
- {B3601} Ratio of Air to Fuel for Stoichiometry
- {B3660} (not available in this operating system)
Old 07-14-2018, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

I probably should have asked, "does the open loop fuel based on ECT and MAP table still exist in that custom OS?"

Because if doesn't show up anymore, that would be a pretty strong hint that EFILive just re-purposed that existing table to use RPM instead of ECT.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is OL eq ratio vs. map in general up to 105KPA

there is BE eq ration vs. MAP

there is initial adder to PE/BE vs. coolant temp and vs. IAT
Old 07-20-2018, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Best not to think of those open loop surfaces as enrichment, per se. Neglecting some of the finer points, the purpose they serve is to account for the fuel that does not participate in combustion. When the OL multiplier is something like 1.5 in cooler IVT regions, that means an extra 50% fuel mass needs to be injected to get 100% of the target fuel to participate in the combustion. When things are cold, not all of the injected fuel vaporizes. Some of it does, but the remainder that doesn't is mostly lost to a partial diffusion-style combustion or ends up impacting the cylinder wall where it either vaporizes after chamber heat is too low to ignite it or doesn't vaporize at all and just gets pushed into the crank case. Even though it is enrichment per the conventional definition, the goal is still stoich.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

^ I like your avatar
Old 07-21-2018, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Best not to think of those open loop surfaces as enrichment, per se. Neglecting some of the finer points, the purpose they serve is to account for the fuel that does not participate in combustion. When the OL multiplier is something like 1.5 in cooler IVT regions, that means an extra 50% fuel mass needs to be injected to get 100% of the target fuel to participate in the combustion. When things are cold, not all of the injected fuel vaporizes. Some of it does, but the remainder that doesn't is mostly lost to a partial diffusion-style combustion or ends up impacting the cylinder wall where it either vaporizes after chamber heat is too low to ignite it or doesn't vaporize at all and just gets pushed into the crank case. Even though it is enrichment per the conventional definition, the goal is still stoich.
I'm with you on that. Subaru's ECU has a simple one-axis table for coolant temperature compensation, and another for intake temperature compensation, so that's how I'm used to thinking of things anyhow. And that's why it was so weird to find a two-axis table with temperature on one axis and manifold pressure on the other axis. Temperature compensation varies slowly and has very little effect at temperatures over about 150F, whereas the manifold pressure changes rapidly and the enrichment varies quite a bit between cruise and full throttle, so it seems weird to have both axes in a single table. I'm more accustomed to thinking of temperature compensation as a stoich compensation rather than enrichment (as you described) and power enrichment as something best described with RPM and air axes - which is incidentally how both GM and Subaru model ignition timing.

Learning all the time.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The OL table you refer to in the first post isn't what's used for PE fueling. There are tables for that. The OL table is simply base fueling for open loop... aka when the car is cold and warming up it reads from there or if you disable closed loop to idle a big cam.

The PE is used for load (which is why it's enabled via TPS% and kPa pressure). This keeps cruising at 1 lambda and PE at whatever you set it to (something like 1.16-1.18 EQ ratio).

BE is additional fueling on top once you're above 105 kPa. I would advise against that. Once you're into throttle, boost is going to happen. No need for secondary boost enrichment. Set the PE at 1.22-1.24 and let it eat.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
The OL table you refer to in the first post isn't what's used for PE fueling. There are tables for that. The OL table is simply base fueling for open loop... aka when the car is cold and warming up it reads from there or if you disable closed loop to idle a big cam.
That contradicts what a couple of people above said about PE using the richer of the values specified in the OL surface and the PE curve.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
That contradicts what a couple of people above said about PE using the richer of the values specified in the OL surface and the PE curve.
It matches exactly what I said. You shouldn't be using that table for WOT as it's for cold start and warm up conditions. The 2 tables serve different purposes. PE is for WOT and based on RPM, the OL AFR commanded table is for cold start and warm up conditions.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Suppose the OL fuel table calls for 12.5 AFR (1.17 EQ) and the PE table calls for 13.0 AFR (1.13 EQ). And PE is active.

Based on "The factory PCM looks at the richer of "commanded fuel when in OL" and "PE modifier based on RPM"...then the PCM would use 12.5 (1.17) because the OL table is richer.
'
Based on "The OL table you refer to in the first post isn't what's used for PE fueling."...then the PCM would use 13.0 (1.13) because the OL table isn't used.

I'm having trouble understanding how both of those things could be correct at the same time.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Suppose the OL fuel table calls for 12.5 AFR (1.17 EQ) and the PE table calls for 13.0 AFR (1.13 EQ). And PE is active.

Based on "The factory PCM looks at the richer of "commanded fuel when in OL" and "PE modifier based on RPM"...then the PCM would use 12.5 (1.17) because the OL table is richer.
'
Based on "The OL table you refer to in the first post isn't what's used for PE fueling."...then the PCM would use 13.0 (1.13) because the OL table isn't used.

I'm having trouble understanding how both of those things could be correct at the same time.
"Isn't used" doesn't mean the pcm doesn't look at the table....it means YOU shouldn't USE the table for WOT lol. You should tweak commanded fuel OL for strictly cold starts and warm up and strictly use PE for WOT.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

I see now. I've been thinking mostly in terms of "how does the PCM work?" and you guys are moving on to "how should the PCM be tuned?"

I take the answer to my "how does it work" question is 12.5 because the OL table is richer?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JakeFusion

BE is additional fueling on top once you're above 105 kPa. I would advise against that. Once you're into throttle, boost is going to happen. No need for secondary boost enrichment. Set the PE at 1.22-1.24 and let it eat.
I know it's faux pas to use BE, but I find on some combos it works really good. I don't think one should dismiss it out of hand.

I have also found that it doesn't work like a second adder, but rather like most fueling tables the PCM defaults to the richest one. If that's the BE in a certain kPa and PE in another tps/rpm area then thats what you get. It appears to blend them pretty seamlessly.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:33 AM
10 Second Club

I take the answer to my "how does it work" question is 12.5 because the OL table is richer?
Bingo.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I'm trying to stay with you here. Stupid question but im lost. What is "BE"????? 🤔

im assuming BE is "_____________ Enrichment" ??????
Old 07-23-2018, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

"Boost Enrichment"

Quick Reply: Trying to make sense of Power Enrichment