Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School Me on Throttle Cracker/Follower

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default School Me on Throttle Cracker/Follower

Whats up guys, i am going through the process of street tuning/idle tuning my car currently. I have an issue where the car tends to lurch when in low rpm in gear/high rpm at a stop/clutch in. Looking at my log file i can see that the idle follower is pretty high in those areas.

I zerod out the delay and decay and it falls on its face now.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Or a guide to logging/tuning those areas?

Info on Car: 2003 LQ4, LS6 Intake, Injectors, Throttle Body, 235/251 113:LSA cam. T56 Transmission.
Tune File

Log File

Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 563 Likes on 417 Posts

zeroing out delay and decay are going to accomplish two different things.
zeroing out delay makes the decay start immediately, which means it reduces follower airflow as soon as conditions are met to do so.
zeroing out decay means once it does start decaying, it doesnt actually reduce the follower airflow.

the decay rate is the amount of airflow that is subtracted from follower airflow. lower number means less is removed over time so your follower lasts longer.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So if I have an issue where i am driving, come to a stop and the car is still idling at 1500ish then i need to reduce the delay?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn it off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxnnFDpy2
Old 07-12-2018, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 563 Likes on 417 Posts

based on how the motor is running as you come to a stop, you can tweak the activation/deactivation speeds, the delay and the decay rate.
the delay is how long it will sit at 1500 rpm before going back to normal idle speed, so you can zero it out and it will start lowering as soon as you stop.
the decay rate will control how fast it reduces rpm, so you can experiment with higher rates to make it come back down faster.
I prefer to have mine run a little lower rpm, so mine will be 12-1300 rpm and i have the disable mph at about 5-6 mph so it starts decaying the air out before i come to a full stop if im decelerating slowing or in traffic. this way a hard/fast stop it will keep the motor going, and also if im coasting to a stop its less likely to 'cruise control' at idle

if you have a small cam with a strong idle, its a lot easier to get away with disabling it. its really handy once you get into stuff that likes to stall out when you push the brakes or turn the wheel at low speeds.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your cracker disable speed should be 1-3km/h less than enable speed. yours is greater. fix that.

reducing the airflow numbers in the cracker RPM columns that relate at speeds above 0 would be a good spot to start.
increasing follower decay values will ask for faster airflow decay when throttle is closed.

its very likely the editing your idle spark tables in the 0.08g to 0.20g areas 1200rpm and up and using value like 8-16* as opposed to your 50* + currently commanded will all but solve your problem

Quick Reply: School Me on Throttle Cracker/Follower