Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rich on e85 stoich

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:36 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

I tune the way I do because I like the system “calibrated”
I want to see commanded Lambda equal actual Lambda.
Makes no diff if you choose to use AFR.
HPT accommodates either scenario.

Sure you can change the VE, shoot, you can just change commanded fuel until what comes out the tailpipe is good.

Anyway, OP’s car wasn’t tuned well on gas, so it ain’t gonna track like it should. And it isn’t.

ron
Old 08-22-2018, 03:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 392 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova

Sure you can change the VE, shoot, you can just change commanded fuel until what comes out the tailpipe is good.

Anyway, OP’s car wasn’t tuned well on gas, so it ain’t gonna track like it should. And it isn’t.

ron
This! Changing the VE instead of putting in the actual stoich of the fuel you are using is a hack job.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

^^^ I agree if its tuned correctly on gas from the getgo and u decide to swtich to E I would just change the Stoich ratio. Its the correct way of doing, that's what its used for (same as flex tune), but like I said before some people choose to add 30% to the VE. Are they wrong for doing it this way?! NO. Either way works!

Everybody has there way of tuning, and what they are familiar with. As long as its tuned correctly, using Lambda or AFR I wouldn't worry about it. If the tunes good, its good no matter what it took to get it there!

As for the OP, His car just needs a good tune on it. Something wasn't right before the switch to E. If the tune was correct the AFR would have followed the switch. All u need to do it just start tuning it on E. Everything will eventually fall in line!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova

ron
If you dont change stoich and add fuel to the VE and have your wideband on a gas scale then commanded will equal actual still. I personal think the best way is to just use lambda and change stoich just like the factory does, but both ways will end up with the same end result.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
If you dont change stoich and add fuel to the VE and have your wideband on a gas scale then commanded will equal actual still. I personal think the best way is to just use lambda and change stoich just like the factory does, but both ways will end up with the same end result.
I agree. But doesn't VE equate to more than just fueling? Like cylinder volume? I'm sure you have changed cylinder volume when starting with a 5.3 or 5.7 tune doing a 418. Change the cyl volume, save the tune and the VE changes quite a bit.

As I said, you can just change PE to get the tailpipe reading correct. You can change injector flow to do the same. Lots of buttons to push...…

You ought to see how folks tune the Dodges, which are all SD calibrations. Maybe you have.

At any rate, you have way more experience than me. I've followed you and your tuning for quite some time. You have my respect.
I've just seen so many hacked LS and Dodge tunes that I just stick to Banish tuning methods which I feel is about accurate calibration.

Ron
Old 08-23-2018, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

A lot of people eave stoich 14.6 ad add 30% because they are familiar with the gas scale would be my guess. We just use lambda, easier for us.
I’m still using the gas scale and choose to change stoich to the actual value for the fuel I’m using rather than hack up the VE table. I run E70 and enter 10.7 as my stoich. The only issue is it makes your AFR percentage error histogram look funky. For a shop doing a large number of vehicles and time constraints lambda makes sense. For me doing my own stuff and helping friends using the gas scale isn’t an issue. It’s easy to see on my histogram with a 10.7 stoich a 37 percent error using the gas scale is dead on while higher error is lean and lower error is rich. Not hacking the VE makes sure all other calculations are correct. No issues with an auto trans and even my delivered torque calculations seem dead on.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R

I’m still using the gas scale and choose to change stoich to the actual value for the fuel I’m using rather than hack up the VE table. I run E70 and enter 10.7 as my stoich. The only issue is it makes your AFR percentage error histogram look funky. For a shop doing a large number of vehicles and time constraints lambda makes sense. For me doing my own stuff and helping friends using the gas scale isn’t an issue. It’s easy to see on my histogram with a 10.7 stoich a 37 percent error using the gas scale is dead on while higher error is lean and lower error is rich. Not hacking the VE makes sure all other calculations are correct. No issues with an auto trans and even my delivered torque calculations seem dead on.
Thats seems way harder than just using lambda, then your histogram % will work correctly. You can log in AFR and lambda until you get used to lambda.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Just to explain where I get the 37 percent error as being dead on using the gas scale...

10.7 stoich divided by 1.28 equals a commanded 8.359 on E70. Since my wideband reads on the gas scale that equals a 11.45 afr. 8.359 X 1.37 equals 11.45 so a 37 percent error is dead on while a higher percentage is lean and a lower percentage is rich. It works for me. LOL
Old 08-23-2018, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on "use lambda and change stoich".

Note that increasing VE has other side effects...
this causes the DYNAIR g/cyl value to go up, this then references a different column in the spark tables...
both of those cause the engine toque calculation to change, this causes trans line pressure to change.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, if you're scaling for MAF and/or IFR, then just bumping up the VE table for E85 introduces various other complexities.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Thats seems way harder than just using lambda, then your histogram % will work correctly. You can log in AFR and lambda until you get used to lambda.
Its actually extremely easy. The tune is sound and understanding the AFR percentage histogram in the scanner is no issue for me. I understand lambda as well, but use what works for me. This is absolutely not an argument that my way is better only offering up a way to use the gas scale with E without hacking up the VE table so you don’t cause other issues like those joecar mentioned.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:18 PM
FormerVendor

I agree defiantly more than one way to achieve the end result, your way isnt wrong, hope I didnt come off that way. If stoich is correct and commanded equals actual then that what matter most, how you got there is personally preference.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

People still tune using raw AFR instead of lambda?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 526 Likes on 370 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by turbolx
People still tune using raw AFR instead of lambda?
If you are buying gallons of fuel instead of liters quit throwing stones around your glass house.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

some folks prefer I tune in gas AFR. It's less of a leap for them, some of whom have been hotrodding for 35-40 years, who am I to tell them to change?
Old 09-06-2018, 02:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 526 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
some folks prefer I tune in gas AFR. It's less of a leap for them, some of whom have been hotrodding for 35-40 years, who am I to tell them to change?
Not to mention the ideal lambda ratio changes a bit depending on what fuel is used. Also the need to be aware of the differences in tuning window between those fuels can be an issue. By the time you have all of that relevant info, whether you tune in lambda or AFR is academic. You either know what is needed or you don't.