PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Logging Problems With HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018 | 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Default Logging Problems With HP Tuners

I am attempting to tune a 70 truck that we have swapped a 5.3L engine into. When I connect with the logger, and start logging, even before the engine is started, the LTFT on BOTH banks just sits there spiking from +25% to -25%. I left it logging like that for just over a minute. It does it for the entire time..

Has anyone else had this issue? How can I fix this? I have recently upgraded the software through the HPTuners web site. Could it be a problem with the software? How can I revert back to the older version of software as a test?

I will attempt to post a log here...

So freakin weird. After posting, I clicked on the log file and when I play it-IT'S NOT DOING IT ON THE REPLAY!!! You can't see it on the log file, but if I plug in the LTFT's just sit there spiking up & down non-stop. How is that possible. I can take a short video with my phone and post that up. It WILL show what I'm talking about. Crazyness.
Attached Files
Old 09-06-2018 | 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

When I replay it on my computer-it is not doing it here either! Only on the actual log does it just sit there spiking up and down from + to - 25%.

Since you are looking, can you also see that one of the O2 sensors is basically sitting at ZERO, and the other is almost at 900MV most of the time? Does this indicate the O2 sensor is bad? They are both brand new. I would think the one sitting at zero is the issue.
Old 09-06-2018 | 07:45 PM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member

Turn off the LTFT's and see if it still does it. Sounds like a wiring issue with the O2's.
Old 09-06-2018 | 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

DW-that is a great idea! I will try that in the morning. I will also erase HPT from my laptop and reinstall it with the flash drive I have. Hopefully one of those 2 things will fix the problem.
Old 09-07-2018 | 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Something definitely wrong. Today I plugged in my W/B and it's showing an average on both banks of an AFR of 10!!!! I tuned it today using the W/B and got it to within 3% on the VE table up to 3,000RPM.

Can't turn the FT's back on though without fear of it falsely reporting the AFR and adding excessive fuel again. I will post a log, and the tune, in the morning. I need to figure out if it's a wiring/O2 sensor issue, or an HPT logging issue.