PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it okay to "duplicate" the OBD2 Port?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteS160
You're fine to splice the wires. just keep them tightly grouped and away from interference.
I had previously bought some of this Belden Wire 9942 22/6C 6 Conductor 22awg MultiShielded Media/Comm Cable on eBay, specifiicaly with this task in mind.

As for switching the signal...sure it can be but not with a switch it self. A switch is designed to open or close a circuit for electrical current to flow though. The serial data line is a transmission line not a power line, to prevent interference or skewed readings use an automotive 5 blade relay tol split the 2 DLC ports. signals. Singel from the car would come in on terminal 30 of the relay, DLC 1- terminal 2(Serial Data) would be on #87A of the relay and Dlc 2 - terminal 2(serial data) would be on 87. Now wire a switch up to the relay on terminals 85/86 and boom you have a switching data port. When the relay is off DLC 1 would have the active data line, when the relay was turned on DLC 2 would have the active data line.

If your wanting to switch a bunch of lines look on Amazon or Ebay for "Arduino Relay Module". It's relay boards designed to switch multiple relays with a single switch. You can get big one's....I picked up a couple of 16 relay boards for around 10 bucks each this past summer. So with 1 switch it controls 16 relays that are built into the module.
Thank you for the comprehensive reply but this is way more involved than I'm interested in getting for this particular task.

If your smart about what you use you don't need to switch any data lines. If you have 2 devices plugged in at the same time all that's going to happen is neither device will work correctly until you unplug one of them.
This is much more in line with the KISS principle. I wanted to keep the duplicate OBD2 port behind the dash but instead I'll find an inconspicuous accessible location.

Whenever the car is being tuned (or any other time the primary OBD2 is in use), I'm simply unplug the AeroForce scan gauge.

Thanks again for the information.