Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners users heads up

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:50 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
Who's stealing? Anything in cyberspace is up for grabs. We are space pirates. It's been a solid twenty years. You aren't used to it by now?
Maybe it's just that I've realized that people work for a living and I would expect people to get paid for their work and time and not just steal their labor. Anything in cyberspace is up for grabs, LMFAO. Good luck with that, you are awesome.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:43 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Legally this enters into bizzaro space. You take an outfit like HP who HACKED Gm licensed SW and turned that into a saleable item which sold and still sells very well. I own HP although seldom use it. So now someone hacks HP's hack and somehow this is illegal while the original HP hak is not?

I would NOT want to sit over that case let me tell you. Not in the least. To thicken this up early HP versions came licensed to two model years unlimited tuning for each.

HP looks to be doing what they should which is outpace the old tech and offer newer and better versions of their SW so they can continue to sell to those who need the best solutions. SW is like that in general as time goes on older versions are available free everywhere. Speaking of which perhaps HP could offer a toned down "free" version which would likely be a lot cheaper and easier to do than to fight in a digital tech legal or user battle. Sometimes the best defence is a better offense.

I still think the best solution for all moving forward is to include tuning SW built right into each platform. This makes the most sense on many levels and will drive new market sales better than anything else. Trying to grab easy money by locking up SW is a game of yesteryear. Ask the music business about that, im sure Ulrich has some different opinions now than he did pre Napster
The following users liked this post:
squared (10-04-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Correct. I've been in the infosec industry for 20+ years now and one of my jobs was pen testing, and some of the stuff I've seen nobody would believe is even possible because it reads like a movie script. People will create an exploit or hack for just about anything but it's always driven by one thing, money. If there is no money in it for them there is no reason to spend the time creating an exploit or a hack for something when they could make hundreds of thousands on one that will. You may think a hacked version of some software was created just because they are a "nice" guy (obviously tongue in cheek ethically), but that's not it and it's usually got something else attached.
I don't feel the need to wonder about motivation for why somebody hacked something and have no interest in doing it myself. I'm an EFI Live guy and don't particularly like the HPT interface. I've just been more curious about how it was done and this 1 wire deal so easily.

Last edited by ddnspider; 03-19-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam
Legally this enters into bizzaro space. You take an outfit like HP who HACKED Gm licensed SW and turned that into a saleable item which sold and still sells very well. I own HP although seldom use it. So now someone hacks HP's hack and somehow this is illegal while the original HP hak is not?

I would NOT want to sit over that case let me tell you. Not in the least. To thicken this up early HP versions came licensed to two model years unlimited tuning for each.
HPT didn't "hack" anything, they reverse engineered a product obtained legally and that's a huge distinction. Often times auto manufacturers feed information to companies like HPT, SCT, etc to help them out in the aftermarket. Again a huge distinction in what is legal and what is not, it's not even close to the same thing. Ask the guys who are currently under legal filings right now how it's different.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:58 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I remember the HP launch and efilive jump differently than you describe but Im not in the aftermarket tuning solutions game and most of all I REALLY appreciate all these efforts provide us so Im going to leave the semantics over the origins of tuning intellectual property alone here and simply say thank you to those who provide us with tools to up our game. All my credits are bought and paid for
Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

thoughts and prayers for all you california dudes
Old 03-10-2019, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Off topic slightly but after I downloaded version 4.2.12.0 of HP tuners recently I hadn't used it until i uploaded a new tune into my Camaro just yesterday, and now my pcm is absolutely haywire. The car drives fine but my rpm limit is stuck at 6800 no matter what number I put in there, and same with my afr's on my wideband they wont move after I changed the target afr's multiple times. So I removed the new version of HP tuners and went back and installed an older version I had saved, and I also uploaded an old saved tune into the car which I modified... rpm limits all set at 7700rpm ..... STILL the same.... im hitting the limiter at 6800!!! Parts of my PCM aren't changing, I say parts because my speedometer does change when I change the gear ratio. I'm about to put on the tin foil myself and say the new version of HP tuners I installed has totally fucked my **** up if I don't find a simple explanation.

I have another ls1 car which I've tuned also with my same HP tuner and it's my daily driver and right now I'm not wanting to see if that car will tune properly or not to see if it's HP tuners or the PCM in my Camaro has just decided to kill itself. I have another spare PCM and going to try that but I'm not feeling confident that i'll fry that one also.

edit: Forgot to mention i've downloaded the tunes that aren't working properly afterwards and they are exactly what I uploaded in there!!!!! So how are the changes not working? In all my years of messing with ls's and tuning them starting with ls1edit years ago and then HP tuners back in 2015, I've never had this **** happen until just now.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? A PCM accepting some changes but not others? And then you download the tune from the car and it's exactly as you uploaded it, except the pcm has other ideas and is doing something completely different, like it's "stuck" on one rpm limit and one target AFR that is not what is showing in the HP tune.

I just did another tune and took the car out again 30 minutes ago, same thing. RPM limit wont change, afr's wont change. Without trying to change other parameters, what's the point of trying that when this is already happening. I have to start with another PCM that I know is good and see what happens.

Last edited by Launch; 03-10-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yeah ive seen that. what's it do after a write entire?

maybe remove 4.0 and reinstall 3.6 afaik there is no benefit with 4.0+ for us p01 and p59 guys
Old 03-10-2019, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

I had version 3.2 install still saved in my computer so I'm using that now. I will try a write entire and let you know.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

That didn't last. The exact same problem is back again after I made some other changes and flashed a new tune again. Now write entire won't fix it.

Last edited by Launch; 03-23-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

dont blame the PCM for an HPT issue....stock PCM's have rev'd well above what you're trying to get to. EFI Live never gave me an issue.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
dont blame the PCM for an HPT issue....stock PCM's have rev'd well above what you're trying to get to. EFI Live never gave me an issue.
Man don't I know it, I was just upset.

Last edited by Launch; 03-23-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Launch
Man don't I know it, I was just upset. Now i'm even more so . I've just helped anyone reading to stay the **** away from HP tuners new versions if they have a few years old cable.
I don't blame you for being upset, this is some BS that you're going through.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Maybe call HPT.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM
7 Second Club

I haven't hacked anything! I didn't read or write from a PCM that used hacked software!! I bought my HP Tuners new and have paid for my credits. I thought it was only my rpm limit and afr having issues at first because it's difficult to tell exactly what other parameters were or weren't changing and so I thought I had a mechanical/electrical fault of some sort. I didn't read the OP's first post properly to realize that my interface has been locked the whole time since I tried to tune my car with version 4.2 !!! It was acting exactly like it always has when writing a tune, it didn't tell me it's not working or locked and I've kept thinking the issue was somewhere else. You can't have this happen when you have learned to tune and not knowing WTF is going on with no obvious warning.. "hey, if you install our new 4.2, we'll lock your interface if you write a tune that was done with our previous version"
That's not true at all, I do it all of the time. You should get a hold of their support and see what the real problem is because that's not it.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

I use 2.24 on my interface and 4.xx and beta also.
No issues.
If you want 2.24 email me
Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com
Old 03-20-2019, 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Off topic slightly but after I downloaded version 4.2.12.0 of HP tuners recently I hadn't used it until i uploaded a new tune into my Camaro just yesterday, and now my pcm is absolutely haywire. The car drives fine but my rpm limit is stuck at 6800 no matter what number I put in there, and same with my afr's on my wideband they wont move after I changed the target afr's multiple times. So I removed the new version of HP tuners and went back and installed an older version I had saved, and I also uploaded an old saved tune into the car which I modified... rpm limits all set at 7700rpm ..... STILL the same.... im hitting the limiter at 6800!!! Parts of my PCM aren't changing, I say parts because my speedometer does change when I change the gear ratio. I'm about to put on the tin foil myself and say the new version of HP tuners I installed has totally fucked my **** up if I don't find a simple explanation.

I have another ls1 car which I've tuned also with my same HP tuner and it's my daily driver and right now I'm not wanting to see if that car will tune properly or not to see if it's HP tuners or the PCM in my Camaro has just decided to kill itself. I have another spare PCM and going to try that but I'm not feeling confident that i'll fry that one also.

edit: Forgot to mention i've downloaded the tunes that aren't working properly afterwards and they are exactly what I uploaded in there!!!!! So how are the changes not working? In all my years of messing with ls's and tuning them starting with ls1edit years ago and then HP tuners back in 2015, I've never had this **** happen until just now.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? A PCM accepting some changes but not others? And then you download the tune from the car and it's exactly as you uploaded it, except the pcm has other ideas and is doing something completely different, like it's "stuck" on one rpm limit and one target AFR that is not what is showing in the HP tune.

I just did another tune and took the car out again 30 minutes ago, same thing. RPM limit wont change, afr's wont change. Without trying to change other parameters, what's the point of trying that when this is already happening. I have to start with another PCM that I know is good and see what happens.
Hello, have you had a chance to get in contact with our support team? If you have can you please provide me with the ticket number so I can look into this further, our support team should be able to help you diagnose the issue.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I know this doesnt help but we use multiple versions of HPT and switch between MPVI1 and MPVI2 and havent seen this issue. We had a bad usb cable that caused us all kinds of headaches before and we swore it was hpt and it was a bad cable.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Dude, that's quite a rant. Maybe take a breath and see what HP Tuners support has to say about all of this. Sounds like you've done a lot of detective work that would help w/ troubleshooting.

Moving to a carb on this would prob be a step backwards...
Old 03-21-2019, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX
Moving to a carb on this would prob be a step backwards...
BIG step backwards! Is he doing a distributor too?