Old 11-26-2018, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Works perfect. Thanks guys .
Old 12-16-2018, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got mine up and running...

The main thing is to make sure you buy a serial to usb adapter from a site with updated/available drivers

Old 12-31-2018, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so if i'm tuning a c5 would i need a gauge and sensor or will the mpvi2 get the wideband info from the computer?anyone have a pic of how they wired the serial cable to the mpvi2?
Old 12-31-2018, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyc
so if i'm tuning a c5 would i need a gauge and sensor or will the mpvi2 get the wideband info from the computer?anyone have a pic of how they wired the serial cable to the mpvi2?
Agree. That's why it's very important to buy a USB to Serial adapter that has the FTDI chipset. All FTDI drivers are available for download from their site.

https://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-31-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

If depends on the wideband mfg and/or their models. With the AEM 30-4110 for example, you connect the DB 9 pin cable to the backside of the gauge and then connect it to the USB to Serial cable adapter as explained earlier in this thread (pics also).

When shopping for a wideband, you need to read the installation instructions first for each model to determine where the data stream comes from in order to determine where to attach your cables which ultimately connect either to the MVPI PRO interface or to an open USB port on your laptop (if you choose the method explained in this thread). Or whether you need a gauge for not.

This thread explains how to use the MVPI2 interface in conjunction with a USB to serial cable adapter and db9 pin cable in order to datalog with the MVPI2 scanner while at the same time merge the data stream from the ODB II port with a separate data stream from your wideband. This means you don't have to wait for or buy an MVPI2 Pro wideband data logging interface.

If you choose to use the method explained in this thread, the HP Tuners MVPI scanning software merges the two data streams and presents the data to you thru the HP scanner program screens, charts, and graphs.

As for whether one can receive a wideband data stream from a narrow band sensor on your C5 via the PCM and OBD-II port, the short answer is no. In order to receive a wideband data stream for data logging purposes, you have to install a wideband sensor along with the wideband controller. Your C5 has narrow band sensors, so you need at least one wideband sensor along with a compatible controller.

This link below explains the differences between narrowband and wideband. Note, the latest Bosch sensor is now a Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor instead of the earlier 4.2. The two are not interchangeable. So when shopping for a wideband, make sure to get a wideband controller that is compatible with the 4.9 or delivers with a 4.9 sensor. For example, the AEM 30-4100 wideband controller cable for the 4.2 will not connect to the Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor. So for me, if i want to to use the 4.9 sensor, I need to upgrade to a later model or different mfg.

https://www.autometer.com/resources/...faq_view/id/13

The devil is in all of the details, there are no short answers.

hth

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-31-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 12-31-2018, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28

This thread explains how to use the MVPI2 interface in conjunction with a USB to serial cable adapter and db9 pin cable in order to datalog with the MVPI2 scanner while at the same time merge the data stream from the ODB II port with a separate data stream from your wideband. This means you don't have to wait for or buy an MVPI2 Pro wideband data logging interface.
hth
thanks for the response.
i'm new to tuning and i'm going to have a friend try and teach me the basics of tuning.it sounds like if i plug the mpvi2 into the obd2 port and wire a serial cable to the mpvi2 then use a usb-serial adapter to plug into the laptop i can get a wideband graph on the scanner program without needing a aftermarket gauge and sensor?
Old 12-31-2018, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the response.
i'm new to tuning and i'm going to have a friend try and teach me the basics of tuning.it sounds like if i plug the mpvi2 into the obd2 port and wire a serial cable to the mpvi2 then use a usb-serial adapter to plug into the laptop i can get a wideband graph on the scanner program without needing a aftermarket gauge and sensor?
No - you need to read the entire thread again, especially the link below that explains the differences between a narrowband and a wideband. Since you haven't stated that you already have a wideband sensor or controller, then you need to get one based on your question. Whether you need a gauge or not depends on the wideband mfg/model you choose.

As explained in a earlier post in this thread, the pathway below is how to get data from a wideband sensor into your laptop so the HP scanning and logging program can interpret and display the data so you can use it to tune your car.

Pathway wideband: Wideband sensor > controller/gauge> db 9 cable>USB to serial cable adapter>USB port on laptop > HP Scanning and logging program screens.

If on the other hand, all you want to do is scan and log your car with the HP Scanner and just read the narrowband data, then no, you don't need to purchase a wideband. The data that displays from the scanning software will be narrowband, not wideband.

Perhaps you should download the software and open the scanner and open the sample log and watch as it displays the short term and long term narrowband data stream (O2 narrow band sensors on your C5).

If you decide to purchase a wideband and install it in your C5, then you have two options if you want to be able to read the data that can be retrieved from the wideband sensor and controller.

1)You can buy the HP MVPI 2 Pro interface module and connect it your wideband and use it to datalog wideband data streams.
2) Or you can used the method explained in this thread that bypasses the MVPI2 interface module via a USB port on your laptop. Note that this method has far less functionality than the PRO module. However, sometimes less is better if all you need is wideband data.

HTH
Old 12-31-2018, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the response.
Review this link for options.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-question.html
Old 12-31-2018, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
No - you need to read the entire thread again, especially the link below that explains the differences between a narrowband and a wideband. Since you haven't stated that you already have a wideband sensor or controller, then you need to get one based on your question. Whether you need a gauge or not depends on the wideband mfg/model you choose.

As explained in a earlier post in this thread, the pathway below is how to get data from a wideband sensor into your laptop so the HP scanning and logging program can interpret and display the data so you can use it to tune your car.

Pathway wideband: Wideband sensor > controller/gauge> db 9 cable>USB to serial cable adapter>USB port on laptop > HP Scanning and logging program screens.

If on the other hand, all you want to do is scan and log your car with the HP Scanner and just read the narrowband data, then no, you don't need to purchase a wideband. The data that displays from the scanning software will be narrowband, not wideband.

Perhaps you should download the software and open the scanner and open the sample log and watch as it displays the short term and long term narrowband data stream (O2 narrow band sensors on your C5).

If you decide to purchase a wideband and install it in your C5, then you have two options if you want to be able to read the data that can be retrieved from the wideband sensor and controller.

1)You can buy the HP MVPI 2 Pro interface module and connect it your wideband and use it to datalog wideband data streams.
2) Or you can used the method explained in this thread that bypasses the MVPI2 interface module via a USB port on your laptop. Note that this method has far less functionality than the PRO module. However, sometimes less is better if all you need is wideband data.

HTH
thank you.i think i understand it now.for some reason i was reading this thread as people where wiring the serial cable to the actual mpvi2 unit.probably the easiest thing for me is to buy the AEM 30-4110 kit,install the sensor in the exhaust and that plugs into the back of the gauge then wire the serial cable to the 4pin harness coming out of the gauge and that output plugs into the laptops usb with the converter.then the vcm scanner will get the info from the gauge controller.
so from the pic i would wire pin2 from the serial cable to the blue serial output on the gauge and pin5 from the cable goes to ground.would you connect the white 0-5v wire to anything?

Old 12-31-2018, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The white wire is for an analog signal. Some older versions only accepted an analog signal. EFI Live V1 for example. Tape or shrink wrap it.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/files...GO%20Gauge.pdf
Old 01-02-2019, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

We keep in stock widebands with usb to serial adapters that work with hpt. We use them everyday and tried alot before finding the combination that we been using now for a long time. We have using serial widebands for 10+ years with efi live and then with hpt when it was released. It works great with the right hardware.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
If all you guys are wanting to do is log wideband then to hell with that pro version. The serial port works awesome and its super simple. Just get you a serial to usb adapter and plug it in to a usb on your laptop and HP Tuners will find the data stream and log it. You dont have to setup anything. Of course you need to select the wideband in the serial input of your scanner. HP Tuners already has it all configured for most of the popular widebands.

I was using my ac pressure switch and trying to get the right offset so my actual afr was matching what hp tuners was logging. If you are trying to do that then you need to throw that **** in the bushes. The serial port deal rocks!
Bump, I know its old. So I just got the MPVI2 and am now learning about logging afr. Whoops. I dont really want to pay another $250 to log afr. Ive read about this technique but more detail on how its wired would help me a bunch. Ive got an AEM wideband and I know it has the sources for logging but not to sure on what Im doing. Am I cutting one end of the serial and wiring it to the wideband?

Edit, I think I found my answer. I didnt see the pic in this thread of the harness somebody made. So then those 2 leads that were cut just go to the wideband, the other into the laptop?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ascastil
Bump, I know its old. So I just got the MPVI2 and am now learning about logging afr. Whoops. I dont really want to pay another $250 to log afr. Ive read about this technique but more detail on how its wired would help me a bunch. Ive got an AEM wideband and I know it has the sources for logging but not to sure on what Im doing. Am I cutting one end of the serial and wiring it to the wideband?

Edit, I think I found my answer. I didnt see the pic in this thread of the harness somebody made. So then those 2 leads that were cut just go to the wideband, the other into the laptop?
pretty simple... you need a serial to USB converter that has a driver that you can download, then you need a DB9 connector, the blue wire off the AEM (Serial) and a ground to the same ground location as the AEM gauge......
Old 03-14-2019, 05:31 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What if my laptop has a serial port? Can I just cut one end of the serial cord off and wire it directly to wideband?
Old 09-11-2021, 05:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but not wanting to purchase $250. to log AFR, I have AEM 4110 the back has 6 pin and a 4 pin, I am confused what to do. Does the DB 9 connector get pushed behind the guage. Help Please.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

No look at post #49 it has a picture of the wiring for the gauge/controller red goes to switched ign. black goes to ground and white is for analog signal (ie older MPVI pro 1 box) and blue is the serial data line which is what this thread is pretty much all about. I have the older MPVI pro1 so I don't use the blue wire, now if I wanted to log the serial data data I could purchase the 2 pieces of hardware mentioned in this thread and go that way. I really don't know why HPT decided to go the way they did with the MPVI boxes, but they did so now you have to log the serial data unless you purchase their expensive interface..
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
No look at post #49 it has a picture of the wiring for the gauge/controller red goes to switched ign. black goes to ground and white is for analog signal (ie older MPVI pro 1 box) and blue is the serial data line which is what this thread is pretty much all about. I have the older MPVI pro1 so I don't use the blue wire, now if I wanted to log the serial data data I could purchase the 2 pieces of hardware mentioned in this thread and go that way. I really don't know why HPT decided to go the way they did with the MPVI boxes, but they did so now you have to log the serial data unless you purchase their expensive interface..
thanks