Sponsored by:

LS3 Swap - Stock vs. Aftermarket ECU

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS3 Swap - Stock vs. Aftermarket ECU

Good Evening All,

I am continuing to work through the mechanical aspects of my 1973 Corvette -> 2013 Camaro LS3 / TR6060 swap, including a CamMotion Titan 1 cam swap. I removed the wiring harness from the engine and I am considering an aftermarket ECU and harness. Does anybody have any advice on that? I do engineering and work with machine learning in my day job and it seems that an engine is a perfect application for that, and I understand some of the aftermarket ECUs do machine learning. Rather than sending out the ECU and going through an iteration or two with tuning, is there an aftermarket setup that will self tune nicely? Just getting started on this this part of the adventure so any advice is welcome.

Thanks, Scott
Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The only self learning aftermarket ECUs do is hit target Air fuel ratio by correcting the VE map . You still to have program an optimum ignition timing curve and have to program the target AFRs and all the other tables to get the engine running properly .
I have never played with aftermarket ECUs but the general consensus is that the learning curve is less steep or easier than a factory computer if you do want to self tune.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi
The only self learning aftermarket ECUs do is hit target Air fuel ratio by correcting the VE map . You still to have program an optimum ignition timing curve and have to program the target AFRs and all the other tables to get the engine running properly .
I have never played with aftermarket ECUs but the general consensus is that the learning curve is less steep or easier than a factory computer if you do want to self tune.
We get calls every week from people wanting to buy "self tuning" setups or who bought something "self tuning" and it doesnt right who believe you can just plug this harness in and go and will do everything on its own. Companies selling "self tuning" or using the "self tuning" term are borderline misleading customers.

To the OP and aftermarket ecu like holley is easier to learn over a factory ecu usually since it doesnt have all the extra tables you will never use. Aftermarket setups also have more safety and use widesband vs factory os sensor.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with everyone here, for your application you should use the stock harness and ecu since you are only doing cam only you can get someone to tune your car for you by email, and then optimize the fuel by your self,
there is no advantage for using standalone use on your application its only gonna make it harder to work with,
Old 12-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s really your personal preference. Preference and budget will influence your decision.

your combo is very basic and a factory ECU will run is no problem at all.

aftermarket offers safety features not available on factory ECU. Example you can limit throttle or spark based on a trigger point. Example you want the engine to only allow 30% maximum throttle of the AFR goes leaner than 13.5:1. Or you want the engine to only allow idle if the coolant temp does above 220F
or you want the engine to shut off if oil pressure falls below 8psi. The safety features aren’t possible on a factory ECU.

Your combo being so basic the aftermarket safety options aren’t as influential as they would be for a big cube boosted deal.

another thing to consider is the tuner. You don’t want to make your tuner work with something the hate or aren’t familiar with. If you have picked your tuner first ask them what system they want on it.

i know for fact that it irks tuners having a car built with management they’re not familiar with and they’re left to tune it
Old 12-23-2018, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experience in both setups. You can easily run the factory ECU and harness and it’ll run like a factory setup if tuned correctly. However, you would have to have hptuners and know how to tune it yourself or pay for someone to tune it. If you have to pay someone then you would have to take it back and get retuned any time you made any changes. So take that into consideration.
I recently tuned and worked with the new FiTech Ultimate LS system and it is pretty nice. It would probably be more ideal for your setup. It uses a cable throttle, has tach and speedo outputs, runs electric fans, etc. If wired correctly, it’s very easy to get up and running. Also changes can be made on the fly and you wouldn’t have to take it to a tuner any time you made a change.
I made a video review of the system and you can get an idea of what it’s like.