PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM will not accept a tune and kills PCM.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
I don't, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I made my own, so I just haven't looked.
How about this one....
Speartech usually makes good stuff.

99-05 LS1/Truck Programming Harness (speartech.com)

Old 06-28-2021, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

Sure, yea, Speartech makes good stuff. But really? $175.00 for it??? That's insane or at least it is for me when I can cut a five buck hunk of wire out of any OBD2 vehicle in the junk yard and build it myself. For that price, they should throw in a small, two amp, 12 volt power supply but it'd still be insane for me.

Psychotically over-priced. Simply nuts for that price.

Rick

Last edited by B52bombardier1; 06-28-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm sure it would work, but I agree about the price.

I felt like I was doing it the expensive way when I bought new connectors and pins instead of going to a junk yard... I think that set me back about $50.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

I bought the amazon one...
I figure I'll rework it if needed, as least I'll have most of the parts.

I live in SoCal. I think they outlawed junkyards years ago.

And all of those parts that modify or potentially modify emission controls on cars CANNOT be shipped to CA.
Bench harnesses included.

Last edited by fasteddy; 06-28-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Sure, yea, Speartech makes good stuff. But really? $175.00 for it??? That's insane or at least it is for me when I can cut a five buck hunk of wire out of any OBD2 vehicle in the junk yard and build it myself. For that price, they should throw in a small, two amp, 12 volt power supply but it'd still be insane for me.

Psychotically over-priced. Simply nuts for that price.

Rick

Your comparing using junkyard parts to something made with all new parts, of course your junkyard parts are cheaper.....

We have 3 bench harness setups, one we made from used plugs, one from bench force, and one from Spartech. We primarily use the bench force now because how easy it is to change the ecm connector for all the different ecms we program. For us buying a quality new harness is worth it since we use them everyday.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by minytrker
Your comparing using junkyard parts to something made with all new parts, of course your junkyard parts are cheaper.....

We have 3 bench harness setups, one we made from used plugs, one from bench force, and one from Spartech. We primarily use the bench force now because how easy it is to change the ecm connector for all the different ecms we program. For us buying a quality new harness is worth it since we use them everyday.
So in your opinion what is better to use as a power source?
A wall plug in or just a good 12V battery?
As I noticed that the speartech one just had a 12V battery connection.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteddy
So in your opinion what is better to use as a power source?
A wall plug in or just a good 12V battery?
As I noticed that the speartech one just had a 12V battery connection.
A battery is probably the best source however I have flashed thousands of ecm's all using a 12v power supply with zero failures. I have my speartech harness connected to a 12v power supply also.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts

I used one similar to the one you linked from Amazon that had swappable connections for different ECU's for years. It was made by EFI Connection and was their Hobbyist series. I used it for years with no issues.

They discontinued the Hobbyist series a few years back So I sold it to a friend and purchased there newer professional series unit which is now considered the legacy model. Then they came out with the current Bench force model. I was even able to send my older connections in and have them converted for what I considered a reasonable price.

They are not cheap, But they are good quality, they work, and they do stand behind their product. I realise this may not be price friendly for someone that's only going to flash 1 or 2 times But if someone wanted to invest in quality equipment this is what I would recommend.

https://bench-force.com/
Old 06-30-2021, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I used one similar to the one you linked from Amazon that had swappable connections for different ECU's for years. It was made by EFI Connection and was their Hobbyist series. I used it for years with no issues.

They discontinued the Hobbyist series a few years back So I sold it to a friend and purchased there newer professional series unit which is now considered the legacy model. Then they came out with the current Bench force model. I was even able to send my older connections in and have them converted for what I considered a reasonable price.

They are not cheap, But they are good quality, they work, and they do stand behind their product. I realise this may not be price friendly for someone that's only going to flash 1 or 2 times But if someone wanted to invest in quality equipment this is what I would recommend.

https://bench-force.com/
Big $ there but they look good.
I don't think I'd have the volume to support that.

I got the $60 one from amazon. That was convenient.
I hooked it up to my PCM and the HPTuners interface.
It lit up the interface. That's good as there's no power indicator on the harness.
Upon HP read, I got the same error as when it was in the vehicle.... Detect Protocol.
If everything is working then the failed write on HP Tuners must have damaged it.
The first step was erase. So HPTuners modified something and that damaged the unit.
The step was only to erase calibrations so I would think that I should still be able to read it, just with junk or empty calibrations.
But maybe corrupt calibrations cause the computer to be undetectable.
HPTuners should back out their updates on a failed process.....Geez that's an ancient software standard....its called Rollback.

So I need a good one to test....should be here on Thurs.
I'll pass along any updates.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 06-30-2021, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Big $ there but they look good.
I don't think I'd have the volume to support that.

I got the $60 one from amazon. That was convenient.
I hooked it up to my PCM and the HPTuners interface.
It lit up the interface. That's good as there's no power indicator on the harness.
Upon HP read, I got the same error as when it was in the vehicle.... Detect Protocol.
If everything is working then the failed write on HP Tuners must have damaged it.
The first step was erase. So HPTuners modified something and that damaged the unit.
The step was only to erase calibrations so I would think that I should still be able to read it, just with junk or empty calibrations.
But maybe corrupt calibrations cause the computer to be undetectable.
HPTuners should back out their updates on a failed process.....Geez that's an ancient software standard....its called Rollback.

So I need a good one to test....should be here on Thurs.
I'll pass along any updates.

Thanks for all the input!
If it failed during a flash with HP tuners, it bricked the PCM.

I bricked 2 E38 ECU and they couldn't tell me why. Only that I needed to run the latest update which i was. They also will not issue credit for the licenses wasted as a result of there faulty processes.

I have never had 1 problem with EFI live that resulted in a bricked ECU.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

Just an update.
Got the new (used) computer.
The Ticscience harness from Amazon worked fine.
Read and wrote with HPTuners, no issues. Lots of anxiety for a short while, but no issues.
Not looking forward to pulling the computer everytime I need to change the tune, but easier than pulling the stereo an SW module.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just an update.
Read and wrote with HPTuners, no issues. Lots of anxiety for a short while, but no issues.
Not looking forward to pulling the computer everytime I need to change the tune, but easier than pulling the stereo an SW module.
Glad it worked out.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 529 Likes on 373 Posts

Just an update.
You will not need to pull the computer every time. It varies according to vehicle, but every single damn one of them turns out to have a specific set of fuses to pull that will kill any problems. Fuses are easy to pull. The hardest one I ever ran across was an old Silverado SS with enough aftermarket parts to supply a NOPI convention. Ended up calling his stereo installer before figuring it out, but after that 2 fuses did the trick.

Quick Reply: PCM will not accept a tune and kills PCM.