PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible for a dealer to reflash to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Is it possible for a dealer to reflash to stock?

I want to start over from a stock tune on my 02 trans am. It has had countless tuners over the years and I just want a fresh start but right now it has a custom speed density HPT OS. Would it be possible to take my car to a local dealership and have them flash it completely back to stock? I know I could download a stock file from the repository but you never truly know it the are truly stock files.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would use a repository stock tune, or have someone post up one of there stock 02 tunes.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any particular reason or just because of potential cost?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,294 Posts

I can send you the stock tune from my 01 Camaro SS if interested.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

I just feel like dealers cost more, and sometimes have idiots working there. Its your car and u probably know more about it than they do lol.

Downloading a stock repository tune will cost nothing in credits or cash. Just download a compatible file and copy everything over.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figured it was a simple flash from a Tech II or something like that lol. I knew it would cost some money but figured I would know for sure everything would be as it left GM so I could start the tuning process over again. But I guess I can do a compare to see just how many things have been changed on my file over the years.

I have a "stock" file from the repo saved on my computer for an 02 trans am. I just never know if its actually stock or not because its the internet and its hard to trust things sometimes lol.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I figured it was a simple flash from a Tech II or something like that lol. I knew it would cost some money but figured I would know for sure everything would be as it left GM so I could start the tuning process over again. But I guess I can do a compare to see just how many things have been changed on my file over the years.

I have a "stock" file from the repo saved on my computer for an 02 trans am. I just never know if its actually stock or not because its the internet and its hard to trust things sometimes lol.

Well I can assure you the one I have is the factory tune.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

^^^^ there ya go!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I want to start over from a stock tune on my 02 trans am. It has had countless tuners over the years and I just want a fresh start but right now it has a custom speed density HPT OS. Would it be possible to take my car to a local dealership and have them flash it completely back to stock? I know I could download a stock file from the repository but you never truly know it the are truly stock files.
A dont think a tech2 will not flash over a COS, I'll try it on my bench harness today to be sure, been awhile since I tried. If it can be flashed you would have to take your car there, we can do it outside the car. Worst case we can flash a stock tune in it with hpt. We have stock tunes for about every vehicle and also have SPS to flash it with GM software if thats what you really want.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 548 Likes on 428 Posts

Do you not have the original tune? if it was tuned when you first got the car, did you at least save that file? if so, that may be a more stable base (i've experienced glitches (for lack of better word) in tunes before). You can take that file and copy everything over to it.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Do you not have the original tune? if it was tuned when you first got the car, did you at least save that file? if so, that may be a more stable base (i've experienced glitches (for lack of better word) in tunes before). You can take that file and copy everything over to it.
The car was already tuned when I got it but I am not sure who tuned it. I saw a post by the previous owner and a major shop in Texas tuned the car when he owned it down there but the file that was in the car when I got it was pretty damn terrible. Fans not coming on until 250+, insane enrichment tables, etc. Whoever tuned it after the big shop did, (if there was) did so bad of a job, that a novice like me could instantly see it. I still have the file some place but its pretty bad lol
Old 02-01-2019, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes you can reflash it. I do it all the time. but way waste money if you have hp tuners? I have a stock file but it's in efilive format