PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have any HP tuners sample files?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have any HP tuners sample files?

Hi guys, as per the title, does anyone have HP Tuners sample files for the LQ9 they wouldn't mind sharing?

I've got an LQ9 in my Landrover and am currently saving up for the MPVI2 hardware.

I'd like to try and familiarise myself with the software in the mean time so that I have some idea of how to use it when I actually get it.

Also, does anyone know if the LQ9 (or LQ4) were actually used with manual transmissions and what ECU parameters were different?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,525 Posts

LQ4's were available with manual for a while, but LQ9's were auto only.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Ah so there would be standard files available for a manual LQ then?

Does anyone know what the differences are?

I'm finding that mine kangaroos at low rpm/ med-high throttle openings and wonder if that's because it's still tuned for an auto gearbox?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Tune repository

Hello, if you make a customer account on our website you could check to see if we have the file you are looking for in our tune repository. Once you make the account you should see a tab on the left hand side. We have some files on there that have been modified and some that are stock. You do need to be careful so that once you do get the MPVI2 you do not accidentally license one of these files, it can cause you to lose your credits.
These files are only there for comparison purposes and should not be licensed to your vehicle.

Hope this helps
Old 01-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Well how about that for (future) customer service! Thanks, I'll do that.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

It's asking for an application key or verification ID. Do those need to be purchased?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Old 01-11-2019, 05:19 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, so I can't actually look at any of the repository files until I've bought the MPVI2.. Damn.

I've no problem with buying the hardware, I *want* to. I've got to save up for it though and I'd like to be familiar with my engine and the software before I have the hardware so that I can actually use it when I buy it.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to familiarize yourself with the software, then download the application and open any of the sample files of various vehicles installed with the application.

For scanning there is only one sample log as I recall.

If you want to view sample tunes or log files there are plenty of them in this forum. Download and move them over to the sample 'Logs and Tunes' folder in HP Tuners folder.

Windows>User>Downloads
Documents>HP Tuners>Logs and Tunes>Samples

Application Tips:

Most buttons have a control tip. A control tip is an explanation of the function of the button. The explanation is at the bottom of the screen (dialog box). Click the down arrow if you can't see the entire description.

Can't find something - 'target idle speed' for example. Menu>Edit>Navigator> type in a descriptor such as 'target idle speed'. You knew that would be Base Set Point - right

Or Ctrl>N to display the Navigator.

hth

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 01-12-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 01-11-2019, 02:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Sidewaysste
Ok, so I can't actually look at any of the repository files until I've bought the MPVI2.. Damn.

I've no problem with buying the hardware, I *want* to. I've got to save up for it though and I'd like to be familiar with my engine and the software before I have the hardware so that I can actually use it when I buy it.
Yes the verification id is something you will get once you get your MPVI2 and plug it into the computer. As mentioned above the sample files will be your best bet to get a feel for the software before actually getting the device.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:36 AM
Staging Lane

@dlandsvZ28 Thanks for those tips.

I've been watching videos of how to use the software and common tweaks.

I've noticed there seem to be a lot of tabs missing in my version of the VCM editor - for instance no electronic throttle tabs, no way of adjusting injector minimum pulsewidth..

Have I done something wrong, or is this just because it's the free version of VCM?

I really can't wait until I can afford the MPVI2!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've only recently starting using MVPI2 as well so won't be able to help much. I've had EFI live since about 2005 but still on V1. I have a 98, so no use to upgrade to V2.

A plus for new HP users is that the HP community appears to be much larger than EFI Live - especially Fbody. There is a wealth of HP information on this forum and others on the web.

I'm a firm believer when using any application to first read the Help section and then refer back to it when stuck or need help. Unfortunately when you click on Help from the VCM Editor - the page is blank with a URL that doesn't open. There is Help within the "Outside Help Group" on the same page - but it takes you to help Version 2. The website link for help is the same.

Perhaps for now - HP is still working on 'Help' for their latest version 4.2.xxx. This isn't unusual. 'Help' doesn't 'directly' produce revenue. As a result 'Help' is always the last phase in the production cycle (my former life was a programmer and application analyst in Healhcare).

As for not seeing all of the functionality of the VCM suite. It's hidden until you click on 'Advanced'. Menu>View> Check Basic or Advanced. I recall the question is asked which to choose during the the install.

There are Tutorials - many of them on the website. But you have to work at using the search button to find what you want.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...rn-fuel-system

hth

More than likely you will use an FPR. I can send you some excellent links explaining the differences between the two systems. This one is a good start.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content...c_Boost_01.pdf

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 01-12-2019 at 09:03 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 01-13-2019, 05:48 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for for that, I don't think I'd ever have found the basic/advanced options!
I'm currently working through various tutorials.
I'm fairly well versed in fuel delivery systems, it's just my background is aftermarket ecus that used pulsewidth fuel maps. My LQ9 is returnless.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I recall I selected 'Advance' during the install. Since the option is under 'View" on the menu might be a first place to look. But that assumes the user is aware that there are 'two' options when using the application. One for beginner's and one for advanced users.

A basic rule when designing applications is be aware that the user doesn't always know what you know. Microsoft and the Excel application design engineers discovered that from feedback from Excel users. Users were only using about 20 percent of the application because the Excel menu system was so cumbersome to navigate. So they completely redesigned their menu's and submenu's making it easier to find and use all of the functionality of Excel.

You will probably have to make changes so your speedometer reads correctly. You find it under Edit on the main menu. You will have to go back to help in an earlier version to figure out how to use it. Or maybe I just haven't figured it out yet. If you do know how to change tire size or gear ratio let me know. I am sure it's pretty simple, I just haven't found it yet - since no instructions for this version.

BTW - you don't have to purchase the optional wideband interface to read your wideband. You can port the data from your wideband thru a USB to serial cable into an open USB port on your laptop. The scanning application merges the data feeds from the OBD port and the USB virtual serial port into a stream that you can chart, map, graph and read from screens within the scanning application.

HP has already did the homework for us to calculate AFR error correction between commanded and actual AFR when logging.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
You will probably have to make changes so your speedometer reads correctly. You find it under Edit on the main menu. You will have to go back to help in an earlier version to figure out how to use it. Or maybe I just haven't figured it out yet. If you do know how to change tire size or gear ratio let me know. I am sure it's pretty simple, I just haven't found it yet - since no instructions for this version.
Our gear/tire wizard can be found in different places depending on vehicle. If you reach out to support@hptuners.com and let them know which vehicle you have they can let you know where to find it.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Well my MPVI2 arrived yesterday
I've already sorted the annoying MIL and put the correct ignition maps in ( The PCM was from an LQ4, but the engine is an LQ9)
I've got to figure out why the VSS readings are way out when using an ABS sensor, or perhaps weld a toothed ring to the transmission brake or something, ideas welcome!
Would someone mind explaining what System/Platform tab alters? Mine is set to GMT800, similarly System Type matrix? ( there is a 0 in cruise status, is that why my cruise control doesn't work? )
Old 02-01-2019, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 650 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidewaysste
@dlandsvZ28 Thanks for those tips.

I've been watching videos of how to use the software and common tweaks.

I've noticed there seem to be a lot of tabs missing in my version of the VCM editor - for instance no electronic throttle tabs, no way of adjusting injector minimum pulsewidth..

Have I done something wrong, or is this just because it's the free version of VCM?

I really can't wait until I can afford the MPVI2!

heres a tip: when you have a question about a specific tab or setting, go online and type a search for "hp tuners and whatever the tab or setting is called" and your likely find the info you need.