Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM Wideband wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AEM Wideband wiring question.

I'm in the process of installing a AEM X-Series wideband in my car and want to use it with my std hp tuners. Do I use the Brown (analog neg) or white (analog pos) to connect to the ac pressure(red/black) wire? And whichever one it is, do I do anything with the other? Also as far as where to weld the bung....I've seen both right after the collector on the drivers side and also right after the merge in the y? Which is better to use? Thanks
Old 02-24-2019, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 0-5V analog output is suitable for output to devices such as loggers or ECUs. This differential output requires special care to ensure proper operation. The WHITE signal wire should be connected to the positive of the analog input of the logging device or ECU; the BROWN wire must be connected to the negative of the analog input of the logging device or ECU.

If the logging device or ECU does not have a differential analog input (both a dedicated positive and negative terminal for the analog input) then connect the BROWN wire to the shared signal ground.

If the device does not have a dedicated signal ground then as a last course of action, connect it to the power ground of the logging device.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by aaronc7
The 0-5V analog output is suitable for output to devices such as loggers or ECUs. This differential output requires special care to ensure proper operation. The WHITE signal wire should be connected to the positive of the analog input of the logging device or ECU; the BROWN wire must be connected to the negative of the analog input of the logging device or ECU.

If the logging device or ECU does not have a differential analog input (both a dedicated positive and negative terminal for the analog input) then connect the BROWN wire to the shared signal ground.

If the device does not have a dedicated signal ground then as a last course of action, connect it to the power ground of the logging device.
Ok, I'm gonna use the white wire to connect to the red/black ac pressure wire with a on/off/on switch so I can use it just for tuning then switch it back to ac so I can still use ac. Now the brown would just get grounded? I'm using a std version of HP Tuners so there no direct way to hook it up to that. Is this correct?
Old 02-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your wideband has a serial output, just buy a serial to usb adapter. Plug it into your laptop, add it to your channels G2G.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lethalwx69
If your wideband has a serial output, just buy a serial to usb adapter. Plug it into your laptop, add it to your channels G2G.
Really? Never heard of this one before...just "sharing" the ac pressure wire. It does have a serial wire. If I got the adapter, which wire on it would the wire from the wb go?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The serial adapter is the way to go. No voltage offset BS, no drama with the AC line and you don't need the pro version of HP Tuners to get it working.
I installed mine in a box to make it portable but that's not necessary. My only regret is not using a smaller box.

I did a quick write up in my Impala build topic if you're interested.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The serial adapter is the way to go. No voltage offset BS, no drama with the AC line and you don't need the pro version of HP Tuners to get it working.
I installed mine in a box to make it portable but that's not necessary. My only regret is not using a smaller box.

I did a quick write up in my Impala build topic if you're interested.
Damn, that's a nice portable setup you made! Ok, I'm gonna go with a serial adapter now. One question is what pin on the serial plug did you connect the blue wire to? Thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Your wideband should have came with instructions. If not you can download them from AEM.

Essentially the wideband controller connects to the db9 cable which attaches to the serial to USB cable which plugs into a USB port on your laptop. Once you get it connected so it's transmitting data to the laptop, you make the software connection thru the HP application.

You actually need two cables. Do a search on this site. There are several threads where the installation is explained in detail with pics and screenshots. No use to post it all again here.

BTW - serial is superior to analog when transmitting data as well as faster.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gonna check it out now. Thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Your wideband should have came with instructions. If not you can download them from AEM.

Essentially the wideband controller connects to the db9 cable which attaches to the serial to USB cable which plugs into a USB port on your laptop. Once you get it connected so it's transmitting data to the laptop, you make the software connection thru the HP application.

You actually need two cables. Do a search on this site. There are several threads where the installation is explained in detail with pics and screenshots. No use to post it all again here.

BTW - serial is superior to analog when transmitting data as well as faster.
Duh! I was looking at the wiring list, not the diagram. Now I see it's blue and black, and where they go on the serial. Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Caution - do not cut the serial to USB cable. There is a small chip in the serial end that connects to the db9 cable. You splice from the AEM controller to the DB9 cable.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Caution - do not cut the serial to USB cable. There is a small chip in the serial end that connects to the db9 cable. You splice from the AEM controller to the DB9 cable.
I was thinking just that. Thanks though.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Hey Dano, I also replied to your PM.

Just so everyone has the info:
Pin 2 on the serial port is the data receive pin. You can see the entire pinout of the serial port at https://www.db9-pinout.com/ which of course didn't exist when I did mine. Haha.
I'm using a cheap serial to USB adapter (I have several for my job) and it's worked perfectly the entire time no matter which adapter I use.

For the connection I bought a female serial end and soldered to it so the USB cables are interchangeable if one goes bad.

You'll need pin 2 (receive) and pin 5 (ground) for the connection to the PC.

Closeup of the serial adapter wiring.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Be aware that it's not just the physical wiring connections that are critical to get the serial to USB adapter to transmit the wideband data to HP on your laptop.

Essentially the serial adapter cable converts the data to serial since most laptops today do not have a serial port - just USB ports. The software for the cable creates a virtual serial port on your laptop which is physically a USB port. So choosing the right com port and installing the software for the cable is critical. You will need two usb ports on your laptop. One for the HP module and the other for the USB end of the serial to USB adapter. The serial usb end of the adapter cable does NOT plug into the HP module (MVPI2).

Here is one link with good info starting around post 21. There are other threads as well showing some screenshots of the HP interface in the software. Search 'usb to serial adapter' to find them.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...band-when.html
Old 03-03-2019, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I have a adapter connected and recognized in windows as a USB Serial converter, have the blue WB wire going to pin 2 and a ground to pin 5. Added a channel for AEM-AFR but when it's connected I get no reading? What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something?

Just tried again and the new channel is on there until I start scanning then it disappears?

Last edited by Dano 00TA; 03-03-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you install the drivers that came with the serial to USB cable? If not you must install the correct drivers.
Did you plug the USB end into the same USB port that was used when you installed the drivers. The drivers assign a com port when installed. That's the port you must use. Try another USB port if you don't remember.
Typically com ports 1,2, and 3 are already assigned and used by other devices. So it's best if there is a conflict to assign the cable to the next available virtual port - 4 maybe. If some com ports are no longer being used you can disassociate them - explained in link below.

Test the pin of the opposite end of the cable you spliced to the AEM - controller (gauge) to see if there is voltage. You should get a reading. If not then check your wiring connections again. If the voltage is coming from another pin, then you need to change to the wire color that outputs voltage to pin #2. The voltage must output from male pin two and into the female side of the adapter for pin 2. Post #1 in the link below might be your issue.

Here is another link showing how to check the com port assigned plus some other tips.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...t-adapter.html

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 03-03-2019 at 05:17 PM. Reason: edit content
Old 03-03-2019, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you install the drivers that came with the serial to USB cable? If not you must install the correct drivers.
Did you plug the USB end into the same USB port that was used when you installed the drivers. The drivers assign a com port when installed. That's the port you must use. Try another USB port if you don't remember.
Typically com ports 1,2, and 3 are already assigned and used by other devices. So it's best if there is a conflict to assign the cable to the next available virtual port - 4 maybe. If some com ports are no longer being used you can disassociate them - explained in link below.

Test the pin of the opposite end of the cable you spliced to the AEM - controller (gauge) to see if there is voltage. You should get a reading. If not then check your wiring connections again. If the voltage is coming from another pin, then you need to change to the wire color that outputs voltage to pin #2. The voltage must output from male pin two and into the female side of the adapter for pin 2. Post #1 in the link below might be your issue.

Here is another link showing how to check the com port assigned plus some other tips.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...t-adapter.html
Tried installing drivers but it says the drivers already installed are better than what I'm trying to install. However it looks like it is installed. When I check Device Manager/Ports it shows USB Serial Port (Com5) and drivers as FTDI is what chipset this adapter has. I'm going to go out and check voltage from the gauge now and will post again in a few minutes. Ok, car off key on I'm getting about .47v from the serial wire on the gauge.

Last edited by Dano 00TA; 03-03-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there anything in the hp software that has to be setup besides just adding a channel and selecting serial and aem afr?
Old 03-03-2019, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

In HP Tuners you are correct, it needs to show as serial. If your channel is disappearing the serial adapter typically isn't being seen by HP Tuners software.

Make sure you've got the proper drivers for the serial interface you run. I have several and they all seem to take a different driver even though two look similar. If you're on Windows 10 sometimes Microsoft thinks it's smarter than you are but in my case it isn't and the random driver they installed may not be optimum for your situation.

One way to test is using some terminal software and monitoring the serial port for traffic when the wideband is plugged in to the adapter. If you're getting traffic across the port it's reading properly. If that is the case HP Tuners should see the serial interface and pick up the connection.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Agree. Windows attempts to make it easy for the user during an install and installs generic drivers or old drivers so the user doesn't have to do anything. Your flat screen and your mouse are examples.

To the OP, it looks as if this is what occurred since you imply that you haven't installed the drivers for your serial to USB cable. So as suggested, I would install the drivers and ignore the message.

Even if this doesn't solve your issue, you still will have the correct driver. And if the driver has been updated by the vendor, in a lot of cases, the install will prompt you to install the patch and/or firmware update if there are any.

Follow this link for freeware to install a Hyper Terminal substitute or Hyper Terminal. It's just two files you copy from Windows XP to install Hyper Terminal on Win 7/10.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-...hyperterminal/

When you checked voltage, did you check pin #2 that inserts into the USB cable ?

AEM O2 sensor > AEM controller/gauge > db9 cable > serial to USB cable > USB port > COM 5 > HP interface

The signal from the AEM gauge must terminate at pin two, no matter what the color of the wire, on the DB9 cable. There is NO wire color standard for the DB9 cables, so you can't assume it is the blue for pin two. If you are NOT getting voltage from pin #2, then you need to find the color wire that exits at pin 2 on the opposite end of the db9 cable. That will be the wire color to attach to your AEM gauge making sure you attach to the serial output and NOT the analog output on the gauge.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 03-04-2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: edit content