Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety Mode Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety Mode Start

Maybe someone has run into this issue and figured out what the gremlin is.. my LS2 swap starts and runs just fine 95% of the time, but with no rhyme or reason seems to start in safety mode on occasion. By safety mode I mean no accelerator pedal response (running, but lumpy idle only). 100% of the time I can shut the car off, cut my battery off at the battery (I use a breaker). Once it is reset it starts no problem. Might start 20x in a row with no issue, or might safety start next 10x in a row. Driving me fricken crazy!! Ground issue maybe? I have my car grounded 100 ways to Sunday I thought. Everything else in the car seems to work just fine in safety mode, just not the accelerator which is DBW.

Thanks for any advice!!

Brian
64 f-85 Cutlass Convertible w/ LS2
Old 03-04-2019, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I wonder if the Throttle Control Module is going bad? Or has a bad connection? Have you checked those particular connections?
Old 03-04-2019, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm

Not sure why that didn't cross my mind. I will check the connection to start. Don't remember a ground on that. Maybe the pedal assembly provides a ground that might be bad? Great advice. I will look at that as a starting point and update.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I don't think there's a ground for the throttle pedal to ECM or engine connections. Mainly check the connector plugs everywhere they connect.