Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just fired up my Sloppy Silverado, barely idles + pig rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Just fired up my Sloppy Silverado, barely idles + pig rich

Just fired up the truck for the first time after the winter build, the basics are 4.8/SS2/80E 80# injectors, billet 7875, factory 02 return fuel system. Truck won't idle worth a ****, sounds like it's missing on a couple cylinder (probably because it's so rich, AFR pegged at 10 flat idling, needs 20% throttle just to stay running). Tune and log posted. I copied over almost all the parameters from Matt's Thanks in advance for any help!

Build thread posted here for more info:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rbo-build.html
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
First start.hpl (38.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: hpt
Stepslide Turbo 80E 3bar.hpt (260.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-21-2019, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your MAP sensor is reading 105kpa the whole time in the log. Is it wired up correctly? That is going to give you fits as thats how it tells the ecu how much fuel to give.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a 1bar map installed and I had 3bar map settings flashed to the tune. That's the problem.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, that worked a lot better. The truck found idle on its own and was able to idle fairly well, but as soon as you touched the gas it would die. Also, as it is currently in SD mode I have the intake snorkel off, and the IAC is wide open (310) causing a massive rushing of air through the throttle body. Base airflow incorrect? Log and tune attached
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
2nd start - IAC going nuts.hpl (402.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-22-2019, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Going to open up the throttle body screw tomorrow and see how it responds. I haven't messed with a DBC TB since 2013, holy **** time flies
Old 04-23-2019, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yeah give it a bump to the base running airflow until the IAC isnt maxed.

you can make a histo to log airflow vs temp and copy it back into the BRA table just like you would do with VE...well expect its not an error %

look up "russ K idle config hp tuners"
Old 04-24-2019, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug
yeah give it a bump to the base running airflow until the IAC isnt maxed.

you can make a histo to log airflow vs temp and copy it back into the BRA table just like you would do with VE...well expect its not an error %

look up "russ K idle config hp tuners"
Thanks Doug. I did end up opening up the throttle body set screw which helped, but then I ended up getting a big startup flare. Also, despite doing the TPS reset procedure it was still showing 6-7% TPS after the reset. Once it was idling somewhat steady around 850rpm I let it come up to temp and the wideband was reading dead lean, so I assume it needs some fuel in the VE table in those areas. (.2g/cyl and 400-1200rpm)

Of course it started pissing PS fluid from a rusty line when it got warm so I have tore the front accessory drive down and have a pump on the way. This weekend I should really be able to start messing with the idle tuning. I am using this guide as a helper:
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-(w-pictures)

In addition, my selected gear in the Scanner shows 2nd when it's in Park...this doesn't seem right.

I was expecting the sloppy tune cabinet info to be a lot closer but it's fun finally learning how this software works.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bumping an old thread. Different car, Crown Vic with a 6.0 totally stock other than 80lb injectors and a SS2. Got the pig idling decently, but fighting some issues with the AEM wideband. I played with the VE table to get it started, and it was running so rich that it was struggling to idle and was choking black smoke out the back. The whole time the wideband is reading dead lean ( - - - ). I cut the VE table 70% and it idled far better, and the black smoke is gone - obviously it was too rich. However, wideband still reads lean. Any thoughts?
Old 12-04-2020, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
Bumping an old thread. Different car, Crown Vic with a 6.0 totally stock other than 80lb injectors and a SS2. Got the pig idling decently, but fighting some issues with the AEM wideband. I played with the VE table to get it started, and it was running so rich that it was struggling to idle and was choking black smoke out the back. The whole time the wideband is reading dead lean ( - - - ). I cut the VE table 70% and it idled far better, and the black smoke is gone - obviously it was too rich. However, wideband still reads lean. Any thoughts?
Threw in a new wideband sensor - it's reading again. Looks like I had a dud out of the AEM box. There were no markings on the sensor body itself, perhaps a knockoff. Shame. Off to VE land!