Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD tuning an 0411 with Holley parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD tuning an 0411 with Holley parts

OK, my setup is a Holley single plane intake, fuel rails and 4150 throttle body on a +.010 LS1 with AFR 210cc heads and custom cam. I have a PSI harness, and I intend to use an 0411 ECM. Since this setup doesn't use a MAF sensor, the tune has to be Speed Density. All of this is in a 68 C10 that mostly sees autocross and street driving action.

The big question is if this setup is compatible with a stock ECM. I had asked several people that all said it would work OK, but the tuner said he can't tune for SD.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That can be tuned with a 411 pcm no problem, we have ran setups like that for years.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
That can be tuned with a 411 pcm no problem, we have ran setups like that for years.
Is there any way you could give me some advice for my tuner to get a baseline tune? I need to get my truck up and running for C10 Nationals in Ft. Worth next weekend. I realize I won't have a perfect tune, but something to help me get there to keep sponsors happy would be great!
Old 04-25-2019, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick68
Is there any way you could give me some advice for my tuner to get a baseline tune? I need to get my truck up and running for C10 Nationals in Ft. Worth next weekend. I realize I won't have a perfect tune, but something to help me get there to keep sponsors happy would be great!
If your tuner needs a pro tip on a simple setup like that you should probably get another tuner
Old 04-25-2019, 05:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The fueling will just all be done on the VE table in SD. The idle is what will take a little work, the IAC Steps vs Effective Area, IAC Park, Idle Air flow will all need to be adjusted for that style TB.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
If your tuner needs a pro tip on a simple setup like that you should probably get another tuner
I was a bit shocked when he said he couldn't do a SD tune. This guy is THE tuner to go to in this area, but I guess everyone stays with MAF. I guess I'm the oddball that has to have something different. I know he can figure it out, but my issue is time. I need to have it running and driveable by Monday!
Old 04-26-2019, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick68
I was a bit shocked when he said he couldn't do a SD tune. This guy is THE tuner to go to in this area, but I guess everyone stays with MAF. I guess I'm the oddball that has to have something different. I know he can figure it out, but my issue is time. I need to have it running and driveable by Monday!
Im by all means a novice tuner. But have tuned my own and mainly family members cars. I do help out some friends and more often than not when I get into their cars they are running on maf only tunes and the ve tables were never touched by the previous tuners. I've seen cars run perfect with maf only tunes and it's pretty easy to nail down quick. Personal preference and for a sense of accomplishment I do both. I also have a car running sd only with a 4150 throttle body.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tug686spd
Im by all means a novice tuner. But have tuned my own and mainly family members cars. I do help out some friends and more often than not when I get into their cars they are running on maf only tunes and the ve tables were never touched by the previous tuners. I've seen cars run perfect with maf only tunes and it's pretty easy to nail down quick. Personal preference and for a sense of accomplishment I do both. I also have a car running sd only with a 4150 throttle body.
I'd like to start learning to tune my own stuff. My problem is even knowing how to get started. I'm an old school carb guy. This engine has been carbureted since I installed it in 2012. Other than typical carb issues, I was never unhappy with the way it ran, but I finally decided to take a leap into the 21st century and put EFI on it hoping to cure the cold starts, rich idle, and throttle response woes associated with a carb.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tug686spd
I'd like to start learning to tune my own stuff. My problem is even knowing how to get started. I'm an old school carb guy. This engine has been carbureted since I installed it in 2012. Other than typical carb issues, I was never unhappy with the way it ran, but I finally decided to take a leap into the 21st century and put EFI on it hoping to cure the cold starts, rich idle, and throttle response woes associated with a carb.