Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning 101 Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning 101 Help Needed

So I do not know much about tuning and have been reading about various ways to tune my 2000 TA. I really want to educate myself but there is just so much information out there it is hard to get a footing.

What I would really like (for now) is a tuning tool or program which I can switch between various presets (factory settings, high HP & torque gains, MPG) as the majority of upgrades I have done have all been to reinforce the suspension and nothing really to the stock motor. I used to have a diablo tuner back in the day but I have not used nor seen it in about 13 years (long story short I have kept the car in a family member's garage due to excessive moving and not having proper storage space for it). I do not remember if it had presets as I described above or not. It seems there are programs which require a laptop in addition to the handhelds ones but again not sure where to start.

As I am finally getting my car back in the next couple of weeks I would appreciate any help and/or direction for a tool which will help me achieve what I want. I do plan in the future to continue buying more performance parts and having it professional tuned.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Most people use HP tuner, lots of info here. check the marketplace in the forum for a tuner. search here and on YouTube for lessons.

I'm new also and a old fart, but I'm learning.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Why not become the professional (your own tuner)? It's not rocket science. HP tuners is what I use, and is FANTASTIC in the ability and control you have. You can write a cal on your car in about 45 seconds, so... You could easily set up all those tunes you want, and be a mouse click away from any one of them... Laptop is required however. I've got a few guides that can help, working on more. Next is the physics and aimass calcs piece. More after that, still not looking forward to idle guide. Even thinking about it makes me shutter.... lol.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^^ what he said lol^^^^^^^ I would add a wideband to monitor wot. lots of info and help out here. i'm still learning to tune my boosted camaro