Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

conversion flash

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default conversion flash

using HP tuners what exactly am i doing with a PCM flash? ive only ever used the speartech stuff ( the best) but im doing a 5.3 for a friend. so how, what, where do i flash the pcm and turn off the crap not needed?
Old 07-05-2019, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

Doing a flash is certainly not for everybody. I would think you should probably watch a few of "Chopper Doc's" videos on You Tube first before trying it. He is a frequent poster and commenter around here that produces good videos. There's also a good discussion here on LS1Tech about his videos. But seriously, I would not touch somebody else's PCM unless I was willing to buy them a new one due to the risk that I might brick their PCM and turn it into an expensive wheel chock. Get a little training first and then dive in.

Also - save a copy of your friend's old tune first. And then, give your friend a file copy of their new, fully functional tune for future reference in case it needs to be squirted into a different PCM by somebody else. There's no sense in having to re-invent the wheel when these tunes can be saved as insurance policies against future needs.

And hey - its cool that your daughter hangs out with you. You two are making memories that will last a lifetime.

Rick
Old 07-06-2019, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

There is no 1 post that is going to tell you exactly what you need to change and where. There are 20 different OS's at least and they are all laid out a little different. HP Tuners is a semi steep learning curve and watching You tube will only give you a very general base line. ChopperDoc has about the best videos, but you can learn from just about anyone posting them ChopperDoc, Ed Mowton and Goat Rope Garage have all posted videos worth watching.