TECH Fanatic

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Slowly learning - critique my dontbsme tune

2002 RCSB Silverado. Pretty much copied the dontbsme combo
Stock unopened 4.8, Sloppy Stage 2 cam, PAC1218s
80E/HD2 with a Jake's 3200 street series converter, 4.10 8.8
Billet 7875, VSR 44mm WG, no BOV, Deka 80s
0411 PCM with 3bar MAP, no MAF

Still working through VE tuning at cruise and part throttle, but my WOT seems okay in the mid 10s.

I am still fighting a stumble on startup (more BRAF?) and some lean spikes during steady state cruise. My other "project" is working on adding some timing to all the non-boost cells as it's kind of a dog until the boost comes on. I think some added timing below 3000 would help the turbo light off sooner too. I've attached a "draft" tune with the stock timing copied over into the cells .5 g/cyl or lower, haven't tried it yet. Other than that it actually drives very nicely.

Feel free to critique. I am a total newbie at this and am open to constructive criticism.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
Boost hits 8ish psi.hpl (111.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: hpt
Stepslide Turbo Rev 6 VE6.hpt (274.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ve table needs a lot of work. I would take a stock table Na table and import it in; copy paste the last row of your 105 kpa into the 315 and multiply by 30% then interpolate between horizontal bounds. that's a start. your OLFA table is all 1.00 as well. it needs start up enrichment so targeting stoic will make it have a hard time starting without the extra fueling. I see you are running fully open loop as well. Your BRAF seems about right for that camshaft. In your idle spark adaptive tables you have all -5 and 5. even at 0 error. I would make that 0 and do an easy interpolate from 12.5 to 100 ( ie -1 ,-2,-3,-4 etc) or even use stock values from a stock truck file. zero out your catalyst spark table as well since youre turbo with no cats.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the tips. I think what I did originally was take the stock VE values for 105kpa and add 50% or more copied into the 315kpa row. It's pretty rich at WOT so that certainly needs work.

I will try the other small changes such as start up enrichment, idle adaptive and catalyst spark.

any thoughts on why it takes so long to hit full boost even in 1st with 4.10s? I still need to try the "NA" timing until 105kpa but figured it might have something to do with the stock muffler on the truck causing excessive backpressure.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now that I have most of the mechanical bugs worked out I took it out tonight for some hits in Mexico. It seems to take forever to spool up and doesn't actually make peak boost until 4800. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it blowing through the stock muffler.....
Attached Files
big hits.hpl (257.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what size tires you are running but a 4.10 is really steep and will not load the motor enough to make boost come in earlier like it should. I would eliminate the stock muffler and use something straight through that is NOT chambered ( no flow master) so something like a magnaflow type. Your VE table is still jacked. I would hit the smooth button a few times to try and bring all the peaks and valleys down.
You have a bunch of tables that need work in your PE section as well as spark timing and such. If you need help shoot me a PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Serioussn95
I don't know what size tires you are running but a 4.10 is really steep and will not load the motor enough to make boost come in earlier like it should. I would eliminate the stock muffler and use something straight through that is NOT chambered ( no flow master) so something like a magnaflow type. Your VE table is still jacked. I would hit the smooth button a few times to try and bring all the peaks and valleys down.
You have a bunch of tables that need work in your PE section as well as spark timing and such. If you need help shoot me a PM.
I run whatever tires I can find that are cheap burners. Typically a 30" tall out back, give or take.

I have a 3" boost activated cutout that I'm going to install in the downpipe under the truck well before the stock muffler to see if it helps. The idea behind the 4.10s was to help offset the 4500# weight with me in it.

Any thoughts on how my ignition timing looks? Wondering if it's soft out of boost causing it to be lazy.

Last edited by LQ4-E39; 07-22-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I changed around a bunch of additional stuff, mostly making PE enable more aggressive and adding in some timing .68 g/cyl and under in the diagonal "belt" of where it runs under WOT from 1200 rpm to boost. Marginal improvement but headed in the right direction. For fun I also experimented with making a "sloppier" trans brake...essentially using VCM scanner to lock the trans in 3rd while footbraking and mashing the gas. It built right around 4psi of boost stalling at 3,000 rpm and 20 degrees of timing. I wonder if adding a couple degrees will help it get up on boost more as it didn't want to go any higher. Letting it kick back into 1st and releasing the brake made for either a hell of a holeshot or boatloads of wheel spin.

Fun evening!
Attached Files
hwy cruise and hits.hpl (303.1 KB, 20 views)
sloppier trans brake 2.hpl (119.3 KB, 22 views)