PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Camaro, write VIN to New GM Global ECM

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Camaro, write VIN to New GM Global ECM

The 2018 Camaro's ECM and TCM were destroyed in a front end collision, both were replaced with NEW modules from GM. Using the J2535 Pass-through tool, I subscribed with the VIN # to GM SPS service to reprogram the new ECM with the calibration settings and write the VIN to it. All went well on the upload to the new ECM till the bar graph hit 100% and it then failed with reprogram error. The scanner gives me a P0630 error code which is no VIN written to ECM, and when I check for the VIN on the scanner I get 17 blank spaces. So no VIN has been entered into my new ECM yet.

When I tried to repeat the process to get the VIN into the ECM, the GM SPS software reads the ECM and told me that the new ECM settings were at the latest calibration level and that I was not allowed to reflash the same calibration level. So it appears that the latest calibration settings wrote to my new ECM, but the VIN # of the Camaro body did not. I need help in getting the VIN number into the new ECU, or erase the setting that are saved in there already so I can at least try the process again.
Hope someone out there is familiar with the latest GM SPS system and new GM Global programmable ECMs used after model year 2016.

The ECM part # is 12692070.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mark Sternall
The 2018 Camaro's ECM and TCM were destroyed in a front end collision, both were replaced with NEW modules from GM. Using the J2535 Pass-through tool, I subscribed with the VIN # to GM SPS service to reprogram the new ECM with the calibration settings and write the VIN to it. All went well on the upload to the new ECM till the bar graph hit 100% and it then failed with reprogram error. The scanner gives me a P0630 error code which is no VIN written to ECM, and when I check for the VIN on the scanner I get 17 blank spaces. So no VIN has been entered into my new ECM yet.

When I tried to repeat the process to get the VIN into the ECM, the GM SPS software reads the ECM and told me that the new ECM settings were at the latest calibration level and that I was not allowed to reflash the same calibration level. So it appears that the latest calibration settings wrote to my new ECM, but the VIN # of the Camaro body did not. I need help in getting the VIN number into the new ECU, or erase the setting that are saved in there already so I can at least try the process again.
Hope someone out there is familiar with the latest GM SPS system and new GM Global programmable ECMs used after model year 2016.

instead of selecting reprogram module select replace and reprogram module and it should let you overwrite

also make sure voltage dos not drop you are suppose to use a power supply to keep the cars voltage up but some people get away with a jump box. if I have to do one and I don't have my power supply with me I use jumper cable with my Tahoe running hooked to the car im programming
Old 05-31-2022, 02:09 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Mark Sternall

Hi,
I have exactly same issue after programming ECM. I even tried to program another new one, but it did not help. P0630 is still there. Have you found the solution? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Mark Sternall hasn't been here since he posted above 3 years ago.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camaro, write VIN to New GM Global ECM