Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Lt1 in my IROC with 4L60e, hard start, running rich etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Lt1 in my IROC with 4L60e, hard start, running rich etc

I don't know about tuning these motors. I have some experience tuning Audi's, and have various tools, none of which I believe will help me here, so I'm just going with "I don't know a darn thing".

The car is cold blooded, it doesn't like to start and it doesn't like to idle until it's warmed up (shutting off as I'm coming to a stop sign etc).
Also I think it's bloody rich, based on the fuel smell coming from my oil change this weekend.

So I've read and in the past there were 3 and then 2 names of folks that had great feedback on remote tuning. (I don't believe any shops in Livermore, CA (turbohoses, is the only place with a dyno). So I'm guessing it's going to be remote tunes.

Are there new players, or really any of the old guard still tuning (Ion), I know PCM4less is still around and so is Soloman (but there seems to have been a falling out there).

96 Lt1, 4l60e, lt4 hot cam, edelbrock shorties, Custom K&N intake (pulling air from under the car). Stock injectors. No smog. No Cats, no smog connections, but obviously I've got 2 O2 sensors working.

Thanks and I'm also okay with "teach them to fish", but my end goal is an LS swap (but dude, the Lt1 is a swap?! Yes I know!!, but LS and 6speed is what I'd like to do). So I'm more interested in solving my immediate situation, so my son can drive it on special occasions (he's sketched now, because it just dies)

Tory
Old 09-29-2019, 03:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 502 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactuss4
I don't know about tuning these motors. I have some experience tuning Audi's, and have various tools, none of which I believe will help me here, so I'm just going with "I don't know a darn thing".

The car is cold blooded, it doesn't like to start and it doesn't like to idle until it's warmed up (shutting off as I'm coming to a stop sign etc).
Also I think it's bloody rich, based on the fuel smell coming from my oil change this weekend.

So I've read and in the past there were 3 and then 2 names of folks that had great feedback on remote tuning. (I don't believe any shops in Livermore, CA (turbohoses, is the only place with a dyno). So I'm guessing it's going to be remote tunes.

Are there new players, or really any of the old guard still tuning (Ion), I know PCM4less is still around and so is Soloman (but there seems to have been a falling out there).

96 Lt1, 4l60e, lt4 hot cam, edelbrock shorties, Custom K&N intake (pulling air from under the car). Stock injectors. No smog. No Cats, no smog connections, but obviously I've got 2 O2 sensors working.

Thanks and I'm also okay with "teach them to fish", but my end goal is an LS swap (but dude, the Lt1 is a swap?! Yes I know!!, but LS and 6speed is what I'd like to do). So I'm more interested in solving my immediate situation, so my son can drive it on special occasions (he's sketched now, because it just dies)

Tory
The LT4 cam is your only real "mod". The K&N and shorty headers at best make a statistically insignificant difference to anything, including power, fuel economy, or tune. There should be any number of files available to flash you computer for the cam swap. This is nothing requiring a professional tuner.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

have you checked fuel pressure and your engine coolant temp working?

Quick Reply: 96 Lt1 in my IROC with 4L60e, hard start, running rich etc