PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would Mail Order Tune Be Sufficient?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Would Mail Order Tune Be Sufficient?

I swapped my LS1 shortblock for an LQ4 shortblock, but everything that was in the LS1 went into the LQ4, cam, heads, headers, etc. The LS1 was previously tuned, so in this case, would a mail order tune by Frost or similar be ok or should I still get it dyno tuned? I'm in SE MI so I know there are some options around me, just wondering if this would be ok to do since nothing but displacement changed.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd get it retuned, if you can get it custom tuned even better. has the compression ratio changed? seeing that you're now running LQ4 that are dished pistons as opposed to the ls1 that weren't, it'll have some impact on combustion and AFR in my opinion.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 498 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by drdave88
I swapped my LS1 shortblock for an LQ4 shortblock, but everything that was in the LS1 went into the LQ4, cam, heads, headers, etc. The LS1 was previously tuned, so in this case, would a mail order tune by Frost or similar be ok or should I still get it dyno tuned? I'm in SE MI so I know there are some options around me, just wondering if this would be ok to do since nothing but displacement changed.
A mail order tune will never be ideal, but your combo is common enough to be well within the realm of being safe with something from Frost or similar.

Quick Reply: Would Mail Order Tune Be Sufficient?