Sponsored by:

No Start, No OBD Signal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start, No OBD Signal

Hi,

I've been trying to get my LM7 swapped Volvo running for quite a while. The PCM does not seem to trigger spark or fuel while cranking. When I connect a bluetooth scan tool it will also not connect to the PCM.

I've tried swapping the PCM and messing with grounds with no luck. Tonight I was messing with it and measured the resistance on the OBD II pin 4 and 5 to ground. I got some confusing results;

OBD pin to fly wire alligator clipped directly to battery negative terminal gave 120 ohms.
OBD pin to alligator clip connected to interior bolt gave 0 ohms.

So it looked like the PCM ground had high resistance back to the battery.

Now the odd part... I connected the battery negative to the interior bolt from which I previously measured using the fly wire. The resistance on OBD pin 4 and 5 back to the bolt jumped from 0 ohms to 20 ohms.

How could this be possible? I have somehow increased the resistance in the ground circuit by paralleling it to the battery negative. Any explanation for this? I expected it would stay at 0 ohms.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

You might want to check all grounds again.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have battery negative running to the block. Block to frame rail and both heads to firewall. I've swapped the battery negative cable and messed with all 3 ground straps. It does seem like a grounding issue but I cannot figure it out for the life of me.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What PIN number/s do you have for pcm ground?

Quick Reply: No Start, No OBD Signal